What are your favorite Star Wars books?

Started by Roxas, August 04, 2013, 03:20:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
My favorites are obviously the RC series by Karen Traviss (I'm also really looking forward to her next Halo book, which is the last of the the Kilo-5 trilogy), Death Troopers by Joe Schreiber, the Darth Bane Trilogy by Drew Karpyshyn, and Fatal Alliance by Sean Williams.

I prefer books in the Old Republic - Clone Wars. I'm not a huge fan of the New Republic+ eras. I remember that there was also this one book I read with Jacen, Jaina, Tenel Ka and a few others, but it isn't listed in the glossary of Star Wars books (the one at the beginning that shows the timeline).

The ones I've read are Hard Contact and Order 66 of the RC series (I know a friend who has all the other books, including the Imperial Commando novel). I've been very interested in Death Troopers, however I've not read it myself, only heard parts from the audiobook. I read part of one of the New Republic era books (it was Fate of The Jedi: Backlash), though never finished it because I got bored of it. Other than that, my Clone Wars comic books that I have (issues 1 and 4), are the only other Star Wars novels I own. But my favourites are definitely the RC series and Death Troopers.

Trilogy: Thrawn Trilogy (Heir to the Empire etc.)

Is the best book series that expands beyond Episode VI without going crazy with a bunch of junk no one really cares about. Plus the villain is amazing.

Novel: Darth Plagueis

This book is just so awesome. I can't stress it enough. If you like the prequels and you haven't read this you MUST.
It really makes you look at the prequel films (especially Episode I) in a whole new light. A better light.
A must read if you like SW books. I don't want to post spoilers so all I can say is that it is really the best SW book I've read.

I love to read/watch/play anything that takes place in the time period shortly before or after the films.

And I can look at the Cross Sections locations and vehicles books all day. Those are amazing and appeal to my "engineer" nature. :shrug:

I think I've probably read most of the Star Wars novels and there are very if any that I don't like. My favourites are the Republic/Imperial Commando books, all the Timothy Zahn books, Darth Plagueis and the 9 book series with 3 written by Karen Traviss that I've forgotten the name of. :)

I also like the cross section books and the Essential Atlas.

I could go on listing the Star Wars books I like but it probably numbers in the hundreds so I'll stop there. :)
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

August 05, 2013, 08:30:30 AM #4 Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 08:47:40 AM by tirpider
My mom read the novelization of the first movie to me as bedtime stories before I saw it. I never approached another (SW) novel, but did invest a lot of time in the old Marvel series of comics.

Of all of them, my favorite then, and now, is Star Wars 38: Riders in the Void.

It was a backup story that never would have saw print except that the publishers pushed back the comic adaptation of The Empire Strikes Back.

I dig everything about the comic, from the art work to the off-beat story. I have a copy and still read it (cover to cover) from time to time.

Quote from: {PLA}gdh92 on August 05, 2013, 08:15:05 AM
I also like the cross section books and the Essential Atlas.
Hmm. I haven't seen one of those in a bookstore for a while. I'll look out for it since it sounds like something I would enjoy.  ::)

I also enjoy reading the Star Wars Omnibus comic books.

Quote from: WookieepediaOmnibus is Dark Horse Comics' program to release volumes collecting comics that were formerly difficult or near-impossible to find. A Dark Horse publisher's summary states:

Dark Horse Comics' Star Wars Omnibus Collections were created as a way to showcase actual novel-length stories or series, and to provide homes for "orphaned" series, single-issue stories, and short stories which would otherwise never be collected, or which might fall out of print.

Eventually, there will probably be an Omnibus for every series (or for groups of stories taking place in the same time period). Each Omnibus volume will contain the equivalent of three to five 4-issue trade paperbacks. Dark Horse plans to release two or three per year, resulting in all of the existing trade paperbacks being "omnibussed". Having "omnibussed" all of the existing comic material, the project will become an ongoing program.

The Amazing Cross Section series have long been my favourite... I'm a sucker for technical drawing.

Quote from: UNIT 33 on August 05, 2013, 01:08:21 PM
The Amazing Cross Section series have long been my favourite... I'm a sucker for technical drawing.

I got the same one and I definitely must agree.
photobucket limit image removed

Quote from: {PLA}gdh92 on August 05, 2013, 08:15:05 AM
9 book series with 3 written by Karen Traviss that I've forgotten the name of. :)
Legacy of the Force

August 05, 2013, 03:17:24 PM #9 Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 03:19:57 PM by UNIT 33
I would also recommend the graphic novel series Empire and it's successor Rebellion.
The stories were of variable quality, but gave tantalising glimpses of the Empire from within, fleshing it out rather than it being a shallow cliché of villainy.
The narrative stretches from some time after Episode 3 onto soon after Episode 5.

The visuals were just glorious:

Quote from: UNIT 33 on August 05, 2013, 01:08:21 PM
[spoiler][/spoiler]
Same here. I love those books. I have the Episode I-VI Cross Sections for Vehicles and the Episode I-VI Complete Locations (it's like the cross sections book but is the locations in the films. Very cool!)

Drew Karpyshyn's Dark Bane Trilogy have been my favourite ; the Sith way of life is so greatly described.

Quote from: Syrion on August 06, 2013, 04:01:56 AM
Drew Karpyshyn's Dark Bane Trilogy have been my favourite ; the Sith way of life is so greatly described.

*Darth

Totally agree, read them the 4th time now and have to say they are just awesome.
I also read the Old Republic - Revan book by Karpyshyn but didnt enjoy it as much as the bane trilogy, even though I absolutely love the KOTOR games aswell as SWTOR.

I'm thinking about reading that super long series of books called Legacy of the Force (Through libraries of course, I'm not buying that stuff!). Why? Well Episode VII might have those characters and I would love to read 30+ books with them in it! (maybe)

Quote from: Kit Fisto on August 06, 2013, 12:03:01 PM
I'm thinking about reading that super long series of books called Legacy of the Force (Through libraries of course, I'm not buying that stuff!). Why? Well Episode VII might have those characters and I would love to read 30+ books with them in it! (maybe)
Legacy of the Force is only nine novels with pages varying 375-500 or something like that. That's about a good 3/4's of a month right there.