howto: swbf2 pc on openspy

Started by AnthonyBF2, May 07, 2014, 04:49:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
May 07, 2014, 04:49:39 PM Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 04:48:54 PM by Hades
The game isn't dead yet on Gamespy network but this should be slightly helpful.

You needn't download anything, you will just make a few edits to BattlefrontII.exe.

Open it with hex editor, and do a text string search for "gamespy.com" and replace each line of that you find
with "openspy.net"

I got this idea from a patcher someone made for swbf1's executable, and when file comparing the bf1 exe with an unedited one, that's the only difference.

I tested this mod by playing swbf2 on 2 separate computers, and I could successfully join my own session.

If a site admin can put this topic in the tutorials, would be nice.
Also if someone can build a patcher, that  would be nice... not everyone can understand hex edit, or even find
the file needed to edit.

Edit By Anyder: as openspy was unstable and used to be down most time, what we use now is GameMaster, which its installation is explained here - http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=8070.0
Never let a person named AnthonyBF2 touch your BF2.

Cool. perhaps after a bit more info and progress on this whole epidemic, some simple file edit patchers will be made.

it's a really simple thing to make, wouldn't be a big deal at all.. especially in autoit

May 07, 2014, 05:59:21 PM #2 Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 06:01:37 PM by Led
You can also change your Hosts file, with no need for hex editing.  It is a text file.

You should really check to see if Openspy is stable for you.  We found it was not stable for SWBF, particularly if there were more than 8 people at a time.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

I don't know what I host file is. It may be something only with swbf1. I don't yet have enough people to test swbf2 pc with on openspy, maybe 3 or 4 max, The game itself lets me reach 64.
Never let a person named AnthonyBF2 touch your BF2.

The hosts file is a windows file.  It allows redirects from a DNS name to another IP address.  I will edit this post when I find the link to it for SWBF.

You can use it for anything.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet