Need instruction on how to change playable classes in addon maps.

Started by InfernalShadow, May 08, 2019, 11:21:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hello folks!  :happy:

I need some instruction on how to change the playable characters in some of my addon maps.

In particular some of "Serejas" maps such as "Nar Shadda Vertical City" and "Otah Gunga" I love these maps and would like to add them to my play list in game. But i am using a modded version of SWBF2004, The mod i am using is the "Starfire" mod i believe. I like what the Starfire mod has done with the sides and would like to import those changes to these maps, because of right now the new maps don't work right. For example in the galactic civil era, the rebels only have the wookie as a playable class. For the Clonewars era, it wont even load the map. So I've come seeking guidance on how to fix this issue, if its even possible to do that.

PS, i may not be able to respond instantly when and if anybody replies to this due to myself working night shifts. But i will be keeping a close eye on my post when i can in case i get some help. 

Deploy, Scout the target, Plant the beacon, Watch the fireworks...

"SC-442"

I thought most of Sereja's maps used custom sides and rarely touched the stock files unless you were using the stock mission.
He normally includes a mission.lvl in the download that says "normal sides" or something like that.  Have you tried that?  I don't know exactly what the Starfire mod replaces, but if it replaces too much and doesn't include some stuff, we may be talking about rebuilding a mission file.  Possible, but definitely not preferable for your purposes if one of the other methods work.  If it's just skins and updated weapons, then you might be ok.
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

Yes all of his maps use custom sides. And i have been using the stock mission file that he usually provides with his maps. However it doesn't seem to make a diffrence in this case. The classes are still missing weapons and the text's for what weapons they carry have been replaced with "x0" or just symbols and the like. And if rebuilding a mission file is what it takes then i'll learn whatever it take and use program needed.

Ive attached some screenshots of whats occuring, NOTE:: This is using his "stock" mission file.

"SC-442"

Are there any tutorials out there that would explain what editor to use? I have never attempted to modify Battlefront 1.

I've modded a few games like Battlefield 2 and such however that game is a little bit easier to changeup.

Still looking for assistance. otherwise ill have to stick with what i have.  :shrug: 

"SC-442"

This is a loaded question.  First thing I would recommend is going back to the stock game.  You can keep the folder of Starfire stuff around and put it back when you want it, but it seems to me that it edits the side files and we don't want that right now.  :shrug:

Read this thread - this person had the same issue and Led directed them to the correct tutorial.  http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=13307.msg120593#msg120593

After you've skimmed to the area you want in the PC modding guide (or read the whole thing, it's solid reading material), you should find the right tools for the job.

There are plenty of tools around here.  I would start small with Battlebelk's stock mission builder. (http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=319) You can see how the default files are built and how units are loaded ingame.  You can compile your own custom master mission.lvl and see how to change stuff in the game.  Always remember to backup!  (if you have the steam version you should just be able to redownload but you'd have to do the whole game)

Sereja's maps are mod maps, and the assets are located here: http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?action=downloads;cat=30
Included in these should be a project folder of the maps you want.  You can build the entire project with BFBuilder but just use the mission.lvl it generates after you edit it. 

This is really abbreviated but since you haven't used the mod tools in this game yet, it's good to get familiar with them.  After you get familiar, it's a little bit easier to answer questions - many of us have used the mod tools for a long time and have a lot of experience, but even we still encounter issues we've never seen.  In this case, your usage of the Starfire mod is throwing me off, considering I've never played it and don't know what it edits.
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

Thanks for the information!  8) Sounds like i have some reading to do, Gonna copy your comment to notepad so that i don't have to relog/keep the browser open for long periods.

And ill check out those tools you mentioned and see if i can make heads or tails of it.

Once again thanks for the information you've provided.

"SC-442"