Request: A List of OpenSpy Bugs

Started by SleepKiller, September 16, 2013, 05:05:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
For those of you who don't know (around 99.99% of you), I recently have been working on getting the OpenSpy source code working. Now I have it working to some extent. But I need a list bugs that everyone encountered while using OpenSpy so we can work on making it more SWBF friendly and hopefully get our own server up.

Here is what I need from you. If you remember a bug that you encountered please post about it here. If you have any idea what might be causing it, that would be helpful as well. Try to be as descriptive as possible.

September 16, 2013, 05:46:07 AM #1 Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 05:49:19 AM by Phobos
Here are some of the more notable bugs:

- Random game freeze on the server lobby screen, waiting several seconds to move the cursor sometimes helps prevent this bug
- OpenSpy servers can't be joined when the server stats are visible
- All servers 9999 ping
- Sometimes you have to hit join cancel rejoin a few times or it just counts busy
- Game hangs at 0% or freezes sometimes when trying to join server lobby room

Another annoying bug:
- Hosting multiple server sessions and then rehosting them with modified settings or names will not register in the server lobby. Example if you host a 1v1 server then change it to Scrim server it will still show up as 1v1 in the server lobby. The only solution I found was to close all sessions and wait ~15 minutes before rehosting the updated servers (I use BATCH hosting)

Quote from: Phobos on September 16, 2013, 05:46:07 AM
Another annoying bug:
- Hosting multiple server sessions and then rehosting them with modified settings or names will not register in the server lobby. Example if you host a 1v1 server then change it to Scrim server it will still show up as 1v1 in the server lobby. The only solution I found was to close all sessions and wait ~15 minutes before rehosting the updated servers (I use BATCH hosting)

I think thats cause of the ports. What i would do is keeping the one i have running and i wanna quit (3658) and then run the new one (3659)
After the second server is up, just shutdown the old server.
But i think that even u shutdown this server, it remains on the list for those 15 mins
Anyder | Talent, Ops & Culture | SWBF & Player Engagement
Email: communityambassador@swbfgamers.com
SWBFSpy Discord: http://discord.swbfspy.com
SWBFSpy Info: http://info.swbfspy.com

Quote from: SleepKiller on September 16, 2013, 05:05:25 AM
so we can work on making it more SWBF friendly and hopefully get our own server up.
I'm liking this!

[spoiler]but if the clan drama doesn't die down I might not return to SWBFI multiplayer[/spoiler]

Quote from: Kit Fisto on September 16, 2013, 07:27:40 AM
I'm liking this!
[spoiler]but if the clan drama doesn't die down I might not return to SWBFI multiplayer[/spoiler]
lol kit. Good luck on getting it to die down.. Especially if we can get new people with original disks to come!
--
I had all the same exact errors as Phobos does. No more, no less. (Even with hosting, when I had a {GRC} server up.)

It could just be coincidence, but it seemed to me like the OpenSpy hanging happened when 8 players were on.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

is this for consoles in any way? bf1 on the ps2 is just deserted(unless no one plays it)

also bf2 on the ps2 openspy just displays a permanet black screen when hosting a game, when the map tries to load.
Never let a person named AnthonyBF2 touch your BF2.

- Had to cycle back and forth between menus (from the Internet/LAN select screen to the lobby) several times before I could see servers in the lobby.

- Sometimes (not all the time) had to try to join a server several times before getting to play.  it would sometimes timeout while trying to connect. Sometimes it would just not join at all.

- being able to connect to a server and being able to successfully refresh the lobby were independent of each other.  I could still refresh the lobby even though some servers would be un-joinable.

- My name would sometimes appear on the list of players (in the lobby) for servers that I had unsuccessfully tried to connect to.

It's been a while, so the details are fuzzy. I remember setting it up was a bit of a hassle.

I am imagining the connection issue might have something to do with the DNS server itself. If it was somehow not working right (due to overload caused by also being used as a torrent machine or part of a bot net, perhaps?) then it would have problems. It wouldn't surprise me to find out the physical machine they used was someone's spare desktop. Connecting was flaky enough to call it broken.

Respect for tackling this one, man. Network code is no small task.

Does anyone known how to be able to play through Openspy with Windows 7 As OS ?
Anyder | Talent, Ops & Culture | SWBF & Player Engagement
Email: communityambassador@swbfgamers.com
SWBFSpy Discord: http://discord.swbfspy.com
SWBFSpy Info: http://info.swbfspy.com

Quote from: Kniescheibenzerschredderer on September 16, 2013, 12:34:34 PM
Does anyone known how to be able to play through Openspy with Windows 7 As OS ?
Yes, it worked with the batch file.  I also ran it on Vista, because that was my home computer.  My laptop is Windows 7.
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.