For all who think SW1 is a good film

Started by Darth Verik, January 01, 2013, 04:39:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Heya,

Tho i'm a real fan to the star wars universe and especially to the old trilogy, i don't like part 2 and part 3...more over...i hate part 1...it's a disgrace to the whole star wars community, universe, games, films EVERYTHING!

This guy just sums some of the bad stuff up that star wars 1 has:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKtZmQgxrI&list=PL5919C8DE6F720A2D

"Better not be at all than not be noble" - Lord Alfred Tennyson
https://www.facebook.com/SWBFGamers
https://twitter.com/swbfuniverse

You realize you're argument is unjustified automatically because you were born in the original trilogy generation. Therefore you HATE all Star Wars episodes/media hence. I wouldn't get hyped up for VII if I were you. You will hate it.

January 01, 2013, 09:10:32 AM #2 Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 09:17:34 AM by UNIT 33
Quote from: Kit Fisto on January 01, 2013, 09:04:17 AM
You realize you're argument is unjustified automatically because you were born in the original trilogy generation. Therefore you HATE all Star Wars episodes/media hence. I wouldn't get hyped up for VII if I were you. You will hate it.
What are you on about? 'An entire opinion is unjustified because Verik likes the originals', do you realise how flawed that statement is?

Yes Red Letter Media is a great film company, they have a good forum too, which I am also a member on.

Quote from: Kit Fisto on January 01, 2013, 09:04:17 AM
Ridiculous.

Episode I has it's moments as does II and III.

Episode I:
Podrace, The Battle of Naboo (the Gungan part and our lovable ditz JarJar) and the first fight with Qui-Gon and Maul

Episode II:
The Geonosis battle royal (minus all that lovey-dovey stuff with Anakin and Padme)

Episode III:
THE STORMING OF THE TEMPLE. In my opinion the storming of the temple is one of the best scenes from the entire saga.

Yeah it's hard to deny that the prequels have some pretty dang impressive visual sequences. They're fun to watch. But I agree fully with the famous Red Letter video's criticisms of the plot, characters, etc.

Screw what I said before, I just woke up and wasn't in the mood for star wars haters.  ;)

My final word on this issue and any issue is that

How can you say you are a fan of Star Wars, without embracing all aspects of it, "not just the dogmatic point of view of the original trilogy."

It's like saying, "Oh I love SWBFI but I hate EVERYTHING about the Clone Wars era. All of it. I just hate it."

Now before you assume I just hate the Original trilogy, I was a big fan of Star Wars BEFORE the prequels came out. I think the originals are better than the prequels but I don't think that any Star Wars film sucks.

Quote from: Kit Fisto on January 01, 2013, 02:33:27 PM
How can you say you are a fan of Star Wars, without embracing all aspects of it, "not just the dogmatic point of view of the original trilogy."
You can criticize and still be a fan; you don't have to mindlessly dedicate yourself to believing that everything they do is good. (Your absolutism on this issue is truly bizarre and you have never bothered defending it, you just keep repeating it every time it comes up and rejecting the opinion of others right out of the gate.)

For example, even my favorite musicians have released tracks that I think suck. I can be a fan, even a diehard fan, and recognize that they have released less-than-perfect things.

I know there are bad things Lucas(arts,film etc.) has put out there but the films aren't any of those. For example, I HATE the 2 newest Clone Wars episodes. They sucked.

Oh goody, i love it that i made this topic :D

First of all i have to say im quite the film lover, i've seen about 2500 films and the old sequence of Star Wars is amazing. (btw wasn't born in the old generation of starwars, i wish i had tho, but i wasn't. I'm 18 and have seen only two star wars films in the cinema)
However...Star Wars IV...is a remake of Kurusawa's Hidden Fortress (which is also amazing). But that it is a remake doesn't mean it's amazing.

Secondly i think Lucas destroys some good films with weird stuff,
Episode 1: the gunguns, the entire mos isley scenes, the weird fish things, the entire trade federation (creatures and droids alike)
Episode 2: it continues...first of the horrible anakin, the sam weasel? thing, the bartender?, the capture of obi-wan?, Jango Fett and his son bobba fett (i'm sorry but why does Bobba his armor looks so much dirtier then that of his dad?), a hugh droid army with which the universe could have been overtrown long ago...They all look good, but what on earth do they have to do with the plot?!
Episode 3: The rise of lord vader (OMG...this was sooo bad, when i saw the old trilogy i expected soooo much more), general grevious (what a bad villain, he sucks...no villain should be running away that much), Yoda fights the emperor and goes into exile because he loses ONE fight?! (he's such a bad loser). Qui-Gon is going to teach Obi-one ways of afterlife on tantooine?! (wth?!, he died on Naboo, get over it), And so are there dozends of other examples!
The clone wars series (yes i've seen them all so far)...How much i like the science fiction world of star wars...there is no real plot in the series, just badass fighting. Darth Maul returning??! wtf? Weird jedi masters turning red? (how did those ever became jedi masters!)

Don't get me wrong, i love star wars...i'm a great fan of SWBF, SWBF II, KotOR, KotOR II, Jedi Knight, Jedi Academy...all of the star wars games (except pod racing). I'm also a huge fan to the storys about it, the so called history of that universe is amazing! but.....Ep 1/2/3 just failed me because the plot is to cheesy. The story not right, the creatures to huggable and some of the leading characters are too noobish.

But thats just my opinion. I'd like to hear yours. Therefor i'm asking you the question: what made you like the first three episodes of star wars?

Quote from: Darth Verik on January 01, 2013, 04:32:19 PM

First of all i have to say im quite the film lover, i've seen about 2500 films and the old sequence of Star Wars is amazing. (btw wasn't born in the old generation of starwars, i wish i had tho, but i wasn't. I'm 18 and have seen only two star wars films in the cinema)
However...Star Wars IV...is a remake of Kurusawa's Hidden Fortress (which is also amazing). But that it is a remake doesn't mean it's amazing.

Episode 1: the gunguns, the entire mos isley scenes, the weird fish things, the entire trade federation (creatures and droids alike)
Episode 2: it continues...first of the horrible anakin, the sam weasel? thing, the bartender?, the capture of obi-wan?, Jango Fett and his son bobba fett (i'm sorry but why does Bobba his armor looks so much dirtier then that of his dad?), a hugh droid army with which the universe could have been overtrown long ago...They all look good, but what on earth do they have to do with the plot?!
Episode 3: The rise of lord vader (OMG...this was sooo bad, when i saw the old trilogy i expected soooo much more), general grevious (what a bad villain, he sucks...no villain should be running away that much), Yoda fights the emperor and goes into exile because he loses ONE fight?! (he's such a bad loser). Qui-Gon is going to teach Obi-one ways of afterlife on tantooine?! (wth?!, he died on Naboo, get over it), And so are there dozends of other examples!
The clone wars series (yes i've seen them all so far)...How much i like the science fiction world of star wars...there is no real plot in the series, just badass fighting. Darth Maul returning??! wtf? Weird jedi masters turning red? (how did those ever became jedi masters!)

Don't get me wrong, i love star wars...i'm a great fan of SWBF, SWBF II, KotOR, KotOR II, Jedi Knight, Jedi Academy...all of the star wars games (except pod racing). I'm also a huge fan to the storys about it, the so called history of that universe is amazing! but.....Ep 1/2/3 just failed me because the plot is to cheesy. The story not right, the creatures to huggable and some of the leading characters are too noobish.

But thats just my opinion. I'd like to hear yours. Therefor i'm asking you the question: what made you like the first three episodes of star wars?
Why don't you like podracing? It was such a fun game. And what is going on with the Clone Wars series? I didn't know they had resumed since I do not watch television. I saw that they had brought back Maul and that he and his brother were stranded in space. I think it was a terrible idea to bring back Maul.

I like the prequels because I had them along side with the sequels on VHS. I remember getting my lightsaber and duking it out with other kids at the park. I have never lost either. Ahh....the memories.....

Oh, do I look like a Star Wars fan?
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Quote from: Darth Verik on January 01, 2013, 04:32:19 PM

I wanted to tear you to shreds at the sight of all the complaining about all the plotline stuff of the prequel trilogy, since I am a huge fan, and I've gained a good amount of knowledge from Wookieepedia (yes, go ahead, laugh, it's a real wiki), but then I saw it said your opinion. :P

Quote from: {Alpha}Gold Man on January 01, 2013, 07:17:52 PM
since I am a huge fan
Lets make a club!

Verik. I'm a die hard Star Wars fan and with that complaining, I gather you don't understand the STAR WARS saga story arc very well. You need to watch them all through, one after the other. Then come back to me.
Now I know this is your opinion, but let me ask you this:
What do you think the STAR WARS movies I-VI, story arc is? ( it is a common theme... )

Why do I like the prequels? It fills in questions, gives a backstory, shows new and cool Star Wars locations ( Coruscant, great example ) and expands the story of Anakin and other key Original Trilogy characters. Among other details that I can't type on my iPod because I want it to survive.

I-III=prequel trilogy
IV-VI=original trilogy
2 separate trilogies. Like the soon to be Hobbit trilogy and the LOTR trilogy.

For me, the originals are in a class far beyond the reach of the prequels. I think there are many reasons for this, but I'll only touch on one point.

Many people say the visual effects in the prequels are better. True, but here is why I think it actually makes the movies worse. I'll quote my favorite director Christopher Nolan to explain:

"However sophisticated your computer-generated imagery is, if it's been created from no physical elements and you haven't shot anything, it's going to feel like animation. There are usually two different goals in a visual effects movie. One is to fool the audience into seeing something seamless, and that's how I try to use it. The other is to impress the audience with the amount of money spent on the spectacle of the visual effect, and that, I have no interest in. We try to enhance our stunt work and floor effects with extraordinary CGI tools like wire and rig removals. If you put a lot of time and effort into matching your original film elements, the kind of enhancements you can put into the frames can really trick the eye, offering results far beyond what was possible 20 years ago. The problem for me is if you don't first shoot something with the camera on which to base the shot, the visual effect is going to stick out if the film you're making has a realistic style or patina. I prefer films that feel more like real life, so any CGI has to be very carefully handled to fit into that."

@ Roxas i don't like podracing, just due to the simple fact i dont like any kind of racing, btw nice bookcase! im still searching for star wars books
@ Gold man, the plot of the SW prequals is a bit sucked up, but the rest of SW's history i love it so it's good to see your also a wookieepedia fan xD
@ Kit Fisto, Ive seen all the films already (yes, two times a double trilogy)
The meaning of SW 1/3 is to see a young boy turn into a Sith, seeing the rise of the empire, seeing who's the emperor, how it comes that luke and leia are not known to vader, and thats about it...
but why do you need three films for that, i've seen every one of those things in Star Wars part 3...
First of all how anakin became a sith is just tooo cheesy, he becomes a sith because he wants to save his wife from death O_O (WTH?!) Thats just too simple
Seeing the rise of the empire (clones getting an much older armor?)
Seeing who's the emperor...the most influential man in the Star Wars universe?!? (So why does he want to become Emperor, how come all the Jedi's dont see who he is?, because he puts up some sort of dark cloak that clouds their minds?)
How it comes that luke and Leia are going their separate ways...because some green huggable monster who wants to go into exile says so?

Star Wars part one, two and three are for me bad, and to me the figure of Darth Vader has been seriously damaged.
One example of what i mean is: why does Darth Vader looks more at peace when he's a Sith then when he's a Jedi (WTH)

You say the first three episodes answere questions, to me they only make more.
For example, how did those very intelligent clones became so dumb?
Why did master yoda go into exile because he lost one fight?
How come the best swordsman in the universe died against such a freak as the emperor (Windu)
Why did somebody made Kamino disappear on all the maps?
How did the swordfighting became so over spectacular (i remember Ben against Vader...no force jumping, no weird moves, just blades vs blades with two feet on the ground)
Where did all the separatist leaders go and why didn't they keep fighting? (not everyone was at Mustafar)
Why didn't the left-over jedi's (after order 66) came together?

Then the background, your right that it shows something, but not far enough
New and cool Star Wars locations (i believe thats the only + point about it)

But still, the prequal star wars trilogy was for me a go down...it's like doing the first 3 years of school with only A's +++ And then the last three years you leave with F's---
What happened to you in that time i wonder! How did George Lucas made Star Wars so bad? Thats my question