FoleyFX - Does it really do anything?

Started by Snake, February 25, 2013, 04:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I just put 3 different props (which all originally had metal_foley) and changed them to things like wood_foley and stone_foley but they look exactly the same. Is this line in some .odf's redundant?
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

I think it affects how the item sounds as you walk on it.

Well, I'd always thought it changed the look or shine or something even though it says FX because my original teachers said so, but I tried walking them too and it didn't change anything. I think I'll readjust my sound settings and try again tomorrow. I think the sound effects may be set too low.
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

A Foley artist in the movies is the person that makes sounds effects for things, such as using a machete on a cabbage so that it sounds like a head getting sliced open.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foley_artist

So, I too suspect that is some found effect related item.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

February 25, 2013, 08:24:58 PM #4 Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 08:35:27 PM by Sereja
This line, in prop odf, responsible for sound of the steps, if you walk on it.
How to make different sound foley FX, it's enother mistery of sound making, and I did not solve it yet, just like custom sound regions, and music.
Still, you may use stock sound foley settings. Seems, they are strongly connected with certain music, and each music have different Foley FX palette.
For example, Kamino & Bespin music, have only Metal Foley FX, Yavin IV: Temple - Stone and Water, Yavin IV: Arena - Mud and Stone, Tatooine: Mos Eisley- Stone and Metal, Kashyyk: Docks - Wood, Water and Stone, etc... So, to change Foley FX, you have to change music. Actualy seems Mission.LUA can read no more then 2 music lines, so, you may try mix Yavin IV and Bespin music, to got Water and Metal Foley FX in same map. But in this case, you have to forget about other custom music, from you Sound folder... Ulness, you know, how to make them work, from your Sound folder...
Beauty is, the way to perfection.

Glory to Ukraine!  :mf:

Hmm, that's very strange.. What does FoleyFXClass do then? (In unit .odf's) does it have to do with hurtsounds and things?
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

Quote from: Snake on February 26, 2013, 01:12:40 PM
Hmm, that's very strange.. What does FoleyFXClass do then? (In unit .odf's) does it have to do with hurtsounds and things?
I believe so,
Calling one specific "class" of FoleyFX should call the specific sounds in it's "class," On my computer, you can change the sound class, and popups and clicks make different sounds because I have set it to the different sound class, but the sound labels are the same.

I wonder what all the classes are?

Oh, surely sound of different types of soldiers have different sound of steps on same surface. Wookie have more soft step sound, droids more metallic etc. But there should exist a lot of wav files, for example: Wookie Water steps, Wookie Metal steps, Wookie Wood steps etc. The same for droids and troopers. They also works only for era, exactly they belong: clone trooper and droid foley, works only for CW, rebel and stormtroopers foley, for GCW.
Beauty is, the way to perfection.

Glory to Ukraine!  :mf:

Interesting. Thank you for the input Sereja.
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder