REQUEST: boot the booter

Started by Led, April 22, 2012, 06:33:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hi,

I just wanted to put this out there--if possible, it would be nice to have a server side mod that would autoboot people that vote boot.

:)
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Lol! Is that 'cause of the person trying to boot "DUMMY BOT" today on the Cloud City Fast Spawn server?

April 23, 2012, 07:06:37 AM #2 Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 07:15:18 AM by Phobos
Quote from: Buckler on April 22, 2012, 06:33:09 PM
Hi,

I just wanted to put this out there--if possible, it would be nice to have a server side mod that would autoboot people that vote boot.

:)

Find a way to reconstruct IFS_Boot.LUA for shell.lvl and I can probably make this mod for you xD
(by adding the quit to main menu or exit game function when the vote boot is clicked)

EDIT: I realize this might only work for clients now. However it could be attempted with a dedi server shell.lvl

Quote from: Phobos on April 23, 2012, 07:06:37 AM
Find a way to reconstruct IFS_Boot.LUA for shell.lvl and I can probably make this mod for you xD
(by adding the quit to main menu or exit game function when the vote boot is clicked)

EDIT: I realize this might only work for clients now. However it could be attempted with a dedi server shell.lvl
You still have much to learn. ifs_boot is a script that contains stuff to do with when the game is booted up. And no shell.lvl scripts are used ingame, only ones in common.

Quote from: SleepKiller on April 23, 2012, 03:27:46 PM
You still have much to learn. ifs_boot is a script that contains stuff to do with when the game is booted up. And no shell.lvl scripts are used ingame, only ones in common.

At least I have ideas to contribute that are worth testing. There is a script that controls vote kicking.

ifs_mp_lobby to be precise. But theirs no way to do it through editing that script, what idiot is going to download a common.lvl that just disables booting?

I will chuck  my theory out there. Locate the variable that counts how many people have voted and create a trainer that always defaults the number to zero. Not really what Led wants but it could work none the less. The problem of course would be finding the variable, you would need a server with around 10 people in it. All on the same team, someone calls a vote, server side you would run a search for a variable 1. Then have someone place their vote. Whichever variable jumps to 2 and stays there should be it. The problem is of course getting 10 people together and having a server. Even once you have located it you'll need to program a trainer to always set the variable to 1.

Even then this might not work, the server could have the variable randomized or anything. Overall I think it's too impractical to attempt to do.

April 30, 2012, 05:41:57 PM #6 Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 05:43:51 PM by Phobos
I don't think anyone who mods the dedi server common to remove vote kicking would be considered an "idiot" in my book. There are plenty of reasons to want it disabled. A few edits to the LUA could fix the issue, but there's no way to prove either yours or my theory without the LUA. And since we do not have source I agree that its impractical at this point to try.

No, think of it this way. With the Cloud City skin changer you changed ifs_pausemenu the server also has a copy of that script that is never used. If we could override scripts server side, the skin changer wouldn't work. Hence why I was saying no idiot as in rule breaking idiot would download a common.lvl that removed their ability to boot vote. Your idea won't work server side sorry.

April 30, 2012, 05:52:08 PM #8 Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 06:02:01 PM by Phobos
Quote from: SleepKiller on April 30, 2012, 05:46:13 PM
No, think of it this way. With the Cloud City skin changer you changed ifs_pausemenu the server also has a copy of that script that is never used. If we could override scripts server side, the skin changer wouldn't work. Hence why I was saying no idiot as in rule breaking idiot would download a common.lvl that removed their ability to boot vote. Your idea won't work server side sorry.

You are incorrect. First of all, tell me where these "rules" you keep referring to are? The rules you say would be broken by removing the ability to vote kick. The cloud city skin changer analogy you refer to does not apply. If in theory we were able to remove vote kicking from the server sided common scripts, that would apply to all clients in the server using and also (in theory) not using the mod. And for a swbfgamers patch, it would be easy to implement what led wants by adding the line scriptcb_quittolobby (something like that) right after a player clicks vote to boot. Maybe not as easy for regular servers but still possible. Vote kicking might appear to work on the client's screen, but if the server has that function disabled it will not actually register on the server. Sorry but I know I am right I have tested things like this before.

Also, cloud city skin changer script works regardless of whether the server is using the script or not. Some script functions work for clients, some are server based. That's the way it is with mission and so with common and shell.

OK, let's get along please.

Think of this as a wishlist if we can mod the server like the SWBF2 admins have been able to.  If we can remap the vote boot code to somewhere else, or empty memory or something, it would be better (in my opinion) than having useless and persistent vote boots.

I know this has been speculated before, I'm wondering though does the boot bug (where you are instantly booted from session when joining a server), have anything to do with vote kick. I think someone said once that once vote kick has been activated the boot bug is more likely to occur?

Quote from: Phobos on April 30, 2012, 05:52:08 PM
You are incorrect. First of all, tell me where these "rules" you keep referring to are? The rules you say would be broken by removing the ability to vote kick. The cloud city skin changer analogy you refer to does not apply. If in theory we were able to remove vote kicking from the server sided common scripts, that would apply to all clients in the server using and also (in theory) not using the mod. And for a swbfgamers patch, it would be easy to implement what led wants by adding the line scriptcb_quittolobby (something like that) right after a player clicks vote to boot. Maybe not as easy for regular servers but still possible. Vote kicking might appear to work on the client's screen, but if the server has that function disabled it will not actually register on the server. Sorry but I know I am right I have tested things like this before.

Also, cloud city skin changer script works regardless of whether the server is using the script or not. Some script functions work for clients, some are server based. That's the way it is with mission and so with common and shell.
I'm 99.99% certain you're incorrect. The script is an interface script just like ifs_pausemenu. If you are correct you'll be able to simply hex edit the name of the boot command to another  fake command. And booting will be disabled.

April 30, 2012, 06:34:30 PM #12 Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 06:36:50 PM by Phobos
Quote from: SleepKiller on April 30, 2012, 06:30:27 PM
I'm 99.99% certain you're incorrect. The script is an interface script just like ifs_pausemenu. If you are correct you'll be able to simply hex edit the name of the boot command to another  fake command. And booting will be disabled.

Why I think I am right and you are wrong: Not everything in common.lvl is client sided. Some values are for the server, if that weren't the case you would not need to munge these scripts into the server common. Values that affect server conditions are almost always server sided, so triggering the vote boot of another player in the lobby I suspect would be server sided. Hex editing the command to call on something non-existent would not produce the same results as editing the LUA and adding a command that forces clients out of the game.

ScriptCB_QuitToShell() is the command I would replace the vote kick with.

Yeah, let me know how that works out for you. You didn't even know which script the boot button was located on.

Quote from: Phobos on April 30, 2012, 05:59:34 PM
I know this has been speculated before, I'm wondering though does the boot bug (where you are instantly booted from session when joining a server), have anything to do with vote kick. I think someone said once that once vote kick has been activated the boot bug is more likely to occur?

It has been my experience that boot bugs never occur on servers where people have not been boot voting.  I can not reproduce the issue, so I am not certain.

Maybe a few of us can try some vote kicking scenarios and see some time.

I once heard that it was caused by someone leaving the server while capturing a CP, but I dont really think this is true.

I have also heard that you can get into a boot bugged server by going to another server, making a kill, and joining the bugged server.  I know that this is not true.