Avion Studios and Unity 3d

Started by Festus, October 31, 2010, 08:57:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
 We at Avion Studios mod a variety of games including SWBF, SC2, WC3 but currently our main concentration is towards a new program called unity 3d www.unity3d.com. Its a game engine that lets you port your own models animations and scripts to create your very own computer game :D, and has also been used to create games such as Star Craft 2 (no lie). So if any one is interested in creating games in unity why not join our team? we can help each other along and hopefully make some good work together. Right now we are looking mainly for modelers for our unity projects (unity supports many programs including Maya, 3ds max, XSI, blender etc.) but anyone no matter of skill level can join.

What have you created festus and what is your position at avion studios

"Were bigger than Jesus!"  -John Lennon

October 31, 2010, 10:37:26 AM #2 Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 10:50:18 AM by Festuskid
 I am the project lead for our major project Human (which we are creating using the unity program this is a new decision and probably won't find much about it in the site), other than that I work on modeling, concept art, and story development. Right now Were finishing the final bits of art work for the two factions then were going to start on the modeling and I'll start posting some pictures as we start finishing this stuff. Currently we've finished the level design for the first mission and part of the team is mapping the terrain in unity. The only problem is we lack experience in modeling and would love help (but were still learning a lot from tutorials so we dont suck that bad at it ) So ya thats whats happening so far if you want to see our only work with SWBF so far go to the MPG SWBF Mac page www.swbfmac.com and download the 501st mod (this was actually pretty challenging since I'm a Mac). Other projects were working on and have a fair bit done in is the SC2 Zerg campaign.

October 31, 2010, 10:48:27 AM #3 Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 11:06:45 AM by Soap Mactavish
When you talk about the unity program I wonder what properities the game has that you port to. All I wonder is your take this leap from making maps to making entire new games. Care to elaborate what these games are?

Also when I look at wikipedia and the dev site for sc2 I see nothing resembling the unity game engine. Care to explain the function of the program? Seems to me its merely a porting tool

October 31, 2010, 11:07:20 AM #4 Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 11:11:24 AM by Festuskid
Quote from: Soap Mactavish on October 31, 2010, 10:48:27 AM
When you talk about the unity program I wonder what properities the game has that you port to. All I wonder is your take this leap from making maps to making entire new games. Care to elaborate what these games are?

Also when I look at wikipedia and the dev site I see nothing relembling the unity game engine. Care to explain the function on of the program?
The reason we took the leap is because when modding Star Wars Battlefront there are many boundaries that we couldnt deal with like the lack of cut scenes and out dated graphics plus I love Maya much more then XSI.
Progect Human is a single player game that takes you through the perspectives of two soldiers on opposite sides of a futuristic war. it will be a third person shooter but will take a long time to complete so were most likely going to release it mission by mission instead of one big package.
It works as a game engine because it comes pre programmed with all the physics, rendering and the such needed to make a game. Now maybe game engine isnt the right word maybe game maker? but any ways basically you import your models and bones make scripts (Java, Boo, or C#) make terrain add music then compile and create as a mac and pc stand alone. Well it's actually a lot more complicated then that but thats the just of it.
Don't think were just jumping into this thinking it will work out all nice, we are taking this slowly and carefully and learning all we can before we start. We will most likely make numerous smaller projects before Human.

Is unity the saw thing as source sdk or the l4d authoring tools? Or is it like the program made by adobe that ports flash applications to iOS applications?

No its completly independent, go to www.unity3d.com then into there gallery and play there bootcamp demr it might help you understand better, or even dowmload the free version of the product.

sounds like a pretty good platform for browser games. My only concern is whether there will be enough optimization for windows and mac to compete with games built natively for it like Half Life. Tell me when there is a game actually released for Windows that i can test out to see what kind of gaming this engine provides.

October 31, 2010, 12:01:23 PM #8 Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 12:18:25 PM by Festuskid
 Try this FPS demo to see what its capable of  http://unity3d.com/gallery/live-demos/index.html#avert-fate

Unity3D can hold its own as an engine for most things. That being said i've never heard that SC2's development was aided in any way with Unity, and if it was they would have been required to show it, they don't. Blizzard made the Starcraft 2 engine from scratch if i recall.

Still you could make a game such as SC2 in Unity and it would be as optimized for both platforms as you like, you could make an FPS, RTS, TPS, anything.

its a development took kit, rather then mod tools, this helps you develop everything a game needs, including the engine, its also 20 times harder then making a mod for most games.

What languages do you plan on going into for this? I've often considered using Unity and the languages were always the problem for me.
QuoteSow the wind and reap the whirlwind
Through the rain and through the shine
Only something with a meaning can stand the test of time

October 31, 2010, 01:53:32 PM #10 Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 01:55:13 PM by Festuskid
 Our member who knows how to code is planning on using C# but I use Java Script since most of the scripts that are already made are in Java. If your interested you can join us and we can help you with the languages

if you dont mind me asking do you get a cut of whatever the team makes off the game? will you be listing the game on steam>

November 10, 2010, 04:23:03 PM #12 Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 04:27:35 PM by Festuskid
 Since the game is a original we can legally sell it but unless it's really amazing I won't charge money but ya I would get a cut and seeing as were a team of 5 it would turn out nicely
[mergedate]1288561917[/mergedate]
If anyone is interested finished concept art will be posted this weekend for our main project, and where still looking for modelers so any one interested join!