Are you Upgrading to Windows 10?

Started by TheGangstarTY, July 29, 2015, 12:43:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What are your next actions towards Operating Systems?

I've upgraded to Windows 10
2 (10.5%)
I've reserved an upgrade for Windows 10, but no notification yet
3 (15.8%)
I'm going to upgrade to Windows 10
0 (0%)
Sticking with Windows 8.1
3 (15.8%)
Sticking with Windows 8
0 (0%)
Sticking with Windows 7
8 (42.1%)
Sticking with Windows Vista
2 (10.5%)
Sticking with Windows XP
0 (0%)
Other Operating System (Please let me know so I can add it)
1 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Somehow that is wrong, GM, because I ran both games perfectly fine on 8.1 without running compatibility.
I guess it's more of an individual thing...
I can't help you any further though, because I already downgraded to Win7 Ultimate
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

Quote from: TheGangstarTY on July 30, 2015, 05:41:31 AM
Go here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/windows-10-faq?ocid=win10_auxapp_LearnMore_win10faq
You can see lots of questions and answers on this page. If you go to "Can I go back to my previous version of Windows if I don't like Windows 10?" and that will say it there  ;)

Well, they might say that, but you can bet some things like Media Center DRM databases will have been destroyed.  So, proceed with caution  ;)
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

@GM I would like to make a note that I was able to install battlefront on this 8.1 laptop and didn't/don't have to use compatibility mode.

Goldman, I too have to agree with RepublicCommando and Ultimo that SWBF installed and runs fine. :shrug:

On another note, my sister plans on updating her computer so she might beat me too it. ;)
Join the BOBclan Discord: click here | Proud member of the BOBclan since 2014

Hmm, maybe it was SWBF2 then. I know one of the two Battlefronts I had to use compatibility mode on it just to make sure it would run.

I got the Windows 10 upgrade on my mom's laptop that had 8.1 today (We all despise Windows 8.x here so it was a no-brainer to do it).  I had played around with the Tech Preview and liked what I saw, but I'm not too privy to giving up my Windows 7 yet.  Windows 10 is still a little bit on the quirky side... like my stupid settings menu not working and not being able to completely resize my start menu.  Some people have the issues, some don't.  Still better than having tile-mania come up in my opinion.

Quote from: Led on July 29, 2015, 05:12:38 PM
I don't think this is accurate.  Do you have a legitimate link?
I don't have a legitimate link, but there was somewhere I read too that said it would keep the Windows.old folder for 30 days and allow you to downgrade.  I checked and the Windows.old folder is definitely still there.  I would be paranoid to revert back though.  Some things may not work exactly as expected.

Quote from: Ultimo on July 29, 2015, 03:50:26 PM
That only nails in the point harder that you might want to have a dual-boot so you can keep your old OS and have the new one. To me, a month is definetely not enough time. Especially since I've got a somewhat busy schedule (with school and a job).
To dual-boot, you would need to get a separate license.  The free upgrade uses your license for the previous operating system.  Essentially you would have two computers instead of one and then you are dumping approximately $119 US into your computer. (Or pull some strings like me and just get a cheap, legit Windows 8 license and upgrade).

The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

Just finished playing around with it and so far I really like it, all my apps work, games run fine, like some of the new visuals and finally screwing around with some new stuff (I.e. Cortana and wallpapers). Also if you want to change that wallpaper on the login screen here's a link on how to do that. [spoiler]http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/change-the-login-screen-background-in-windows-10/[/spoiler]

Also enjoy the new pop-ups you'll get fir suspicious files (Disregard the MatPat...) [spoiler][/spoiler]
"I would explain it to you but your head might explode."

Quote from: Dark_Phantom on July 30, 2015, 08:26:20 PM
To dual-boot, you would need to get a separate license.  The free upgrade uses your license for the previous operating system.  Essentially you would have two computers instead of one and then you are dumping approximately $119 US into your computer. (Or pull some strings like me and just get a cheap, legit Windows 8 license and upgrade).

I know dual-boot requires a new license. Thankfully, I already downgraded from Win8 to Win7, and I still have Win8 bootable on my system ;)
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

Quote from: Gold Man on July 30, 2015, 12:07:51 PM
Hmm, maybe it was SWBF2 then. I know one of the two Battlefronts I had to use compatibility mode on it just to make sure it would run.
SWBF2 installed and ran fine for me, but that doesn't mean you didn't have issues. ;) I have experienced first hand how two computers with the exact same OS can react totally different to the same program when you attempt to install it. :P
Join the BOBclan Discord: click here | Proud member of the BOBclan since 2014