Suggestion: multiplatform VPN

Started by aeria., November 13, 2012, 06:41:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Kit Fisto on November 13, 2012, 07:35:08 PM
That shouldn't be a problem since the only people who could play on it would have to have a 8 year old game.
You didn't play online much did you?

Quote from: SleepKiller on November 13, 2012, 07:55:18 PM
Lol ya there were quite a few Newbs, there was this one named geno(random numbers here) he kept saying he's better than me then we dueled and I came out Victorious with 94 Kills and 15 deaths, he rage quitted before we could get to 100 tickets. :td:
Proud [Freelancer Consortium] Member! [FC]Leader.Helios

November 13, 2012, 08:00:11 PM #19 Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 08:04:44 PM by {Alpha}Gold Man
Quote from: ComSharpshot on November 13, 2012, 07:58:42 PM
Lol ya there were quite a few Newbs, there was this one named geno(random numbers here) he kept saying he's better than me then we dueled and I came out Victorious with 94 Kills and 15 deaths, he rage quitted before we could get to 100 tickets. :td:

Well, it sounds like you kicked his butt tho.  :XD:

Quote from: SleepKiller on November 13, 2012, 07:55:18 PM
Lol. Uh yea. I had a total of like 3 weeks playing online.  :rofl:

Quote from: {Alpha}Gold Man on November 13, 2012, 08:00:11 PM
Well, it sounds liek you kicked his butt tho.  :XD:
I opened a can of whoop a** on him, but I shouldn't be the 1 to brag there are players far more skilled then me.
Proud [Freelancer Consortium] Member! [FC]Leader.Helios

Here is something:

From the How To section:
Determining whether to use a routed or bridged VPN
QuoteI would recommend using routing unless you need a specific feature which requires bridging, such as:

■the VPN needs to be able to handle non-IP protocols such as IPX,
you are running applications over the VPN which rely on network broadcasts (such as LAN games), or
■you would like to allow browsing of Windows file shares across the VPN without setting up a Samba or WINS server.

So now we know it can deal with game traffic, and needs a bridged(not routed) setup to do so.

Also while I hate to be the bad idea person. This is kind of a bad idea, people have started using Tunngle, I really don't think OS X users would see many PC players using it.

Another thing how do we even know that the LAN coding in SWBF PC is the same as it is on OS X? That could be what kills this idea in the end.

I'm with you on this, SK.

A lot of the configuring of OpenVPN is pretty invasive.

We could use NSIS to make an installer (they have an exaple script for that) and automate some of them, but we would still need to figure out a lot of non admin workarounds for some players in the end. (We already have that issue now.)

Another thing. Hamachi pretty much removes the need for user configurations I have a mesh network setup on it. https://secure.logmein.com/hamachi/ih1.asp?lang=uk&c=7eat24zv6kjxe4wuiy6bqy0ymjgkosx40c014oqj Download this and install it to see what I mean. You download, it installs, you start it up and are all good to go. I stuffed up when installing and trying to test it out the other day. But you get the idea of how much easier it is to use. Only thing is it comes with a yearly fee if you want more than five clients.

November 13, 2012, 09:00:44 PM #27 Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 09:13:19 PM by {TcF}Dr.Penguin
Great idea, then we won't be separated between Game Ranger and Tunngle :D

Quote from: SleepKiller on November 13, 2012, 08:39:05 PM
Another thing. Hamachi pretty much removes the need for user configurations I have a mesh network setup on it. https://secure.logmein.com/hamachi/ih1.asp?lang=uk&c=7eat24zv6kjxe4wuiy6bqy0ymjgkosx40c014oqj Download this and install it to see what I mean. You download, it installs, you start it up and are all good to go. I stuffed up when installing and trying to test it out the other day. But you get the idea of how much easier it is to use. Only thing is it comes with a yearly fee if you want more than five clients.

Can you host like Tunngle?

November 13, 2012, 09:17:07 PM #28 Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 09:22:41 PM by aeria.
Quote from: SleepKiller on November 13, 2012, 08:07:52 PM

Another thing how do we even know that the LAN coding in SWBF PC is the same as it is on OS X? That could be what kills this idea in the end.

It does.

Also I'm Hamachi user myself. :)

#TYBG