SWBF Custom Map Review (W/links)

Started by Ryanoceros, January 25, 2009, 12:30:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
K, thanks. I'll review it now. It'll be up in an hour or so.

If you looked further, all his screenshots have that, it's probably graphics card error or something

Yeah, like BD said, it must be a graphics card issue between PC and Mac.
I see ground textures, but it may be that it just doesn't come across in pictures and such. Anyway, nothing I can do about it.
As for the cloud city night .lvl file, well,  I may get that up at some point, but I consider all .lvl files and mission maps bonus material. I don't automatically include those files (and mission maps). I don't include them because I don't play them myself. This list is really just intended to include all custom maps, not mission maps nor .lvl map mod files. Some mission maps and .lvl files end up being added, but like I say, they are all bonus material from my point of view. There are tons of .lvl files out there and only a few have been added to the list. Too much work, and too much hassle for me. Anyway, I may get around to it, but don't count on it.

Hey Ryan i think the rough1 map is corrupt or something, i tried downloading and all of the folders were empty-no addme script, no side.lvls, no vore lvl, no mission lvl, nothing was there  :(

December 06, 2009, 03:02:16 PM #95 Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 03:23:51 PM by Ryanoceros
rough1? ... do you mean Rogue1?

.. I just tried Rogue1, it worked for me.... correction, it didn't work for me either. the folders are all empty.
...however, When I extract from the .exe file, using zipit, it works okay.

I'll look for another link. I'll change it if i find one. Are you using snow leopard? I just upgraded to it, and it could be the source of the problem. not sure though. Anyway I'll try to find a new link.
new link here...
http://www.gametoast.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_details&gid=1233&Itemid=62

... same problem tho. You need to extract the .exe files using zipit. It does work that way. Stuffit expander also works. you just need to expand the exe file inside the rogue1 folder.

I would just un-EXE it and reupload it here for ease of use, or somewhere else.

(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿"" (-_-*)

I'm not sure but i think it has something to do with Snow Leopard. I never had that problem before, and the link hasn't changed in years... and it's the same problem with the alternate link also. So it is likely a OS problem. Anyway, it may be the same problem with many maps. I just haven't checked, since I already have all the maps.

December 07, 2009, 06:14:40 PM #98 Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 07:47:38 PM by Ryanoceros
I grade maps based on several attributes. Some of which are hard to explain, but I'll do my best...

First, overall quality. Does it look great? Did it clearly take lots of time to make? Does it have new textures, new concepts, or feature?

Second, uniqueness/creativity. Is the map original, and imaginative? .. or just the same old stuff we see all the time in other maps?

Third, design quality. Does the map play well in both SP and MP mode? Is it too big, too small, or just right? How many CPs, and how well are they arranged? Is there interesting battlefield situations, where strategy and skill are useful? etc.

Fourth, Custom features. Does it come with custom weapons, vehicles, space ships, speeders, etc.? And do they add to the enjoyment of the map/game, or detract from it?

Fifth, balance. Are the teams fair? Are the CPs laid out fairly? Do any particular troops have an unfair advantage? For example, jet troopers, or snipers, do they clearly have an advantage on the map relative to all other troops? Or, is the balance just right so that any good player can play any character and succeed? Is there a vehicle/plane advantage? And if so, is it detracting from the game, or does it make it more interesting? Also, does it play too quickly, or does it take forever to finish the game? For example, does the game usually last 10-15 minutes (just right), or does it take an hour to complete (way too long)?

Sixth, theme/item placement. Is the map theme something clearly from the movies, or just a typical map? Are there extra characters, like a rancor? (like in the Jabba map). Are there nuetral forces to contend with, like Gamorreans, Naboo Guards, Tuskens, Jawas, etc.? Are they appropriate to the map design, or not? And do they add to the enjoyment of the map or detract from it?

Seventh, Fun Factor. Is the map fun to play? Is it fun in both MP and SP? Do you get bored playing the map after awhile? Or, is it a map you want to keep in your AddOn folder?

Eighth, technical functionality/stability. Does it have lag, or crashing issues? Does it work well on both PC and Mac? And on all Operating Systems?

Well, that's about the best I can explain. There are always other issues that can effect the rating, depending on the map design/concept... what the maker had in mind to begin with. For example, if the maker intended the map to be an SP map only, using survivor mode for example, I won't take off points on balance. Because that is what he intended to begin with.
And I also have my own personal taste, which can effect the rating I give. When I play the map, do I say to myself, "I would do that differently.", or do i say, "Wow, what a great idea!". Also, personally, I don't like fog, or rain. But some people might like those features. I try to be fair, especially if it is theme-correct, like rain on Kamino. But if it detracts from the fun factor, I may take a point away.

To see what I consider a 5 star map, take a look at the few maps (excluding the mission maps) that have that grade, like dea1, maz1, mus1, uta1, EC, gus1, plt... They are hard to match! But that's why they get that grade. :)

Just keep in mind, 5 star maps are rare and very difficult to produce. It's very hard to get everything to come together in an "Excellent" way. There is an element of luck involved in making a 5 star map. In advance, I applaud you for making the attempt. And I eagerly look forward to trying your new map. But just remember, 4 star maps are still "Great!". So don't set yourself up for a disappointment if that's all you end up getting... I will be fair in any case.

nice take ryano, i like the regular game shipped maps (shipped maps=the standard maps that come with 1.2) and zombies. i would love to see skeleton zombies in the shipped maps.

December 09, 2009, 03:01:42 PM #100 Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 06:11:27 PM by Ryanoceros
You're welcome.
I made the All Troops Fly mods, but no maps yet.
... keep in mind, I just made this review to help others, not because I consider myself a qualified critic of maps. I simply do the best I can under the circumstances.

btw, big or too long doesn't necessarily subtract stars.
gus1, for example, is a huge map and gets 5 stars. Same with EC. If it takes too long, well, that does take away from the Fun Factor, usually. But not necessarily subtract from the overall rating. The ratings I give are overall ratings, and no one factor decides the overall rating. Even dea1 has some collision errors, and the doorway to the control room doesn't work. Yet it's still an awesome map. Maz1 isn't even Star Wars themed, yet it's a 5 star map as well. plt has some imbalance with weapons, IMO, and it gets 5 stars. etc. A map doesn't have to be perfect to be excellent. It just needs to be so enjoyable, good looking, functional, balanced, themed, etc, in general to deserve the overall rating of 5 stars. 

Omigoodness! thank you soooooo much. This Post has saved my life several times! Thank-you!

I went to a fight the other night and a hockey game broke out.

December 16, 2009, 02:02:38 PM #102 Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 04:42:35 PM by Ryanoceros
lol My pleasure.  :cheers:

Added Maps:
bespin2
geoa .... different from "GEOA" map.
MDX

December 24, 2009, 02:04:32 PM #103 Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 07:03:37 PM by Ryanoceros
Thanks for posting this, xshat. I'll give it a try and add it to the list when I get a chance.

Added Map:
Castle

yeah, me too. It's a little bright I think... but I've seen much worse also. it's not real bad. 
Some of that might also be that many people keep their video settings on low, so they can avoid lag online. So it looks blury-ish. But it may help to darken the texture just a tad anyway. Just my opinion.
Anyway, I do appreciate the hard work it takes to make these maps. I wish I could make my own maps too, but I'm a mac user. I have windows 7 and parallels, but haven't been able to get the zeroeditor to work on it yet.