New "standard" sides

Started by Led, October 22, 2011, 09:54:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
That is a big disappointment. I know now that Phobos must have crashed from having too much stuff.

Quote from: Phobos Developer on October 27, 2011, 01:19:30 AM
That is a big disappointment. I know now that Phobos must have crashed from having too much stuff.
Yeah engines and their limitations can be very annoying  :td:

Okay I've finsished the new rocket effect and done the CIS changes that Buckler suggested plus some of my own. (Anything else the CIS need?) And I started on the Republic but I need some ideas about what I can do for them.(Suriously anyone?). I did make a new jetpack effect though I think it looks 1000x better, What do you think of it?

ah, nice.  The jet pack is cool.  The rocket droid seems a bit over powered  ;)

----------------------------------------------------

some orginizational questions:

-should we have one mod unit per side file?  and just call one unit at a time?
-or have big side modifications all in their own file?

-what do we do about sounds?  try to use stock sounds for new weapons, munge swbf2 sounds in, etc?
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

October 30, 2011, 09:41:50 AM #63 Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 09:46:44 AM by jdee-barc
instead of munging swbf2 sounds, just drag the bf2 sound lvls. they work. reference them in luas and  odfs

and why not keep the side layout the way it is, but add some skins, make the weapons better, add the flamethower. add the poison gun thing i sent to sleepkiller. i'd give the flamethrower/poison gun to the sniper units, just because they are pretty boring units.
Current Projects:
Battlefront One and a Half Era Mod, v2.0. Making great progress (SWBF)

Quote from: jdee-barc on October 30, 2011, 09:41:50 AM
instead of munging swbf2 sounds, just drag the bf2 sound lvls. they work. reference them in luas and  odfs

and why not keep the side layout the way it is, but add some skins, make the weapons better, add the flamethower. add the poison gun thing i sent to sleepkiller. i'd give the flamethrower/poison gun to the sniper units, just because they are pretty boring units.

thanks for the info on the sounds---i've not worked with them before.

As for the sides, the way I am hoping to implement this is so that calling the new sides are transparent to the user after the install--i.e. not put them in Addon, so that once its in place in done, and any new mission or map mods would just rely on them.  For a multiplayer online experience, I would like some of the tweaks to be reasonably balanced out among the factions.

Ideally, we would support the standard maps just as easily, without any files changing around.  1.2 mission limits are putting a damper on the idea.  I'm thinking about other work-arounds.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

the era mod thing trick bypasses the limit of addon folders, because everything for worlds and misions is defined in one addme lua that has the missionlist copied over it..
Current Projects:

October 30, 2011, 01:51:19 PM #66 Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 02:05:01 PM by SleepKiller
Quote from: jdee-barc on October 30, 2011, 01:16:04 PM
the era mod thing trick bypasses the limit of addon folders, because everything for worlds and misions is defined in one addme lua that has the missionlist copied over it..
I could put it in shell.lvl. And I'm glad you like the jet effect I've been through about 5 of them while modding SWBF and this one I actually am satisfied.

I was thinking why not give the standered a special secondary weapon because the sniper although boring is still quite a decent unit and is not designed for closs combat. Were as the standered infantry unit nobody seems to be.

And the balance on the Jet Droid, yeah after testing I think it is a bit over powered I will be givng a diferant primary weapon. (Thoughts on what it should be?)

EDIT: I forgot to tell you all that I've made the AI see infantry as a logical target for their rocket launchers.
PROS: You'll now be facing one of the deadiest weapons in the game.
CONS: No lock-on for vehciles anymore.(This is to stop lockon for infantry.)

how about a scatter gun, it shoot like a rifle, but the bullets go all over the place like a shotgun. make it do more damage, though, for balance.
Current Projects:

Quote from: jdee-barc on October 30, 2011, 02:04:05 PM
how about a scatter gun, it shoot like a rifle, but the bullets go all over the place like a shotgun. make it do more damage, though, for balance.
Mm, that could work I'll try it out.

there's an odf i think for it in the stock assets. all_weap_inf_spyrifle and imp_weap_inf_spyrifle. both need to have there sounds defined (the one's alreadydefined are missing from the game)
Current Projects:

I need some ideas for the Republic. Anybody got any?

give the rifleman a dc-15s (short clone rifle) Carbine instead of the DC-15A
give the heavy trooper the DC-15A instead of the pistol.
give the pilot the EMP launcher instead of the arc caster.
make the arc caster fired from the wrist
give the jet trooper: Chaingun, Commando Pistol, EMP grenades, wrist arc caster.

use ep3 models
use the bf2 laat model instead of the bf, or wait for darthduck/naru1035's highly upgraded one.
Current Projects:

After tinkering here and there with visuals mainly for the Republic I feel the CW wars sides are good and are fairly balanced. (Of course only some online testing could say for sure.)

So Buckler would you like me to get to work on those Rebel scum and Imperial rookies? (Well I'm not going to wait for you to reply so I'll start working on them.)

*STARTS TO THINK*

Aha, so what does everyone think of this. Three choices.

1. Keeping the Wookie upgrading its weapons.
2. Replacing the Wookie with a Bothan spy. (Would probably have, Seeker Rifle, Disguse Kit, Grenades and Timebombs.
3. Replacing the Wookie with a Rebal Commando. (Would probably have, Flamethrower, Blaster Pistol, Pulse Grenades and Timebombs.

I'm leaning towords option number 3. But what does everybody else think?

number 3 would work nicely against jets

Upgraded Wookie to get a unit like in swbf2 ( with grenade launcher like imperial pilot, faster load for the bowcaster... ) is interesting.

I played on maps where we could change our unit's skin ( camouflage kit or something ) toget hided from the enemy but it wasnt working, AI were still shooting me, so i hope you will find how to get the Bothan invisible...