What's the magic no-crash polycount for props?

Started by Teancum, January 23, 2019, 02:06:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
So I'm trying to port Renegade Squadron's Saleucami over to SWBF1 from SWBF2. The original model sits at 20,000 polys, and I've started to break it up into several objects. I haven't had much luck getting it to run in SWBF1 so far. I think the main mesh is still around 10,000 polys. I just need to know how much further I need to break it up so I can make it run reliably in SWBF1.

When I built my first Scarif map (which to this day remains unreleased) I had to break down Gogie's bridges, which were somewhere between 8K and 10K in a single object within the MSH. I think you can have a high-poly MSH made up of many objects, but IIRC a single object can be roughly 4k-5k before problems start arising.

Maps can hold a ton of objects, as proved with Sereja's maps.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)
--Endor: Imperial Base

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1

Cool. What I've been doing is just splitting the model and keeping everything in its current position in XSI. That way I can just plug in identical XYZ coordinates for each split object in ZE. Same concept for Kashyyyk (ES), which I haven't check in SWBF1. I've got ~10-15 objects, but haven't checked the poly count on those.