New "standard" sides

Started by Led, October 22, 2011, 09:54:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Bamdur on October 23, 2011, 09:57:16 PM
its easy to localize on 64 bit with my methods
Linky wink please?

well its the same way as editing on 32 bit but you need to add @set path=C:/windows/system32 to the munge file

Ah, you just solved two problems of mine thanks. I can now do the localizations for this mod.

Cis with jet pack & missles.....
+++++Relax have a homebrew+++++

I have a question concerning sides--how many can we load?

For example, if I just want to load the CIS jet unit, plus the other standard sides,
can I call the clone, cis, and new jet side?

Any limit to the sides files that are called?  Any other potential issues?

Thanks
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

there is no certain limit for the number of lvl files (rep, cis, all, imp, etc) called. but remember: teams are: 0 (neutral), ATT, DEF, 3, and 4
Current Projects:
Battlefront One and a Half Era Mod, v2.0. Making great progress (SWBF)

Yeah your only limit is to the amount memory SWBF has.

What is that limit and how can it be overridden?

limit: amount of memory your computer will devote to SWBF's exe (which may also depend on the amount of RAM you use)

how to overwrite it? we don't know. its more of a question of how much memory the exe will consume during loading time and ingame. One idea could be to run taskmgr.exe as an admin, while the battlefront exe is running, and (i don't remember) set either process affinity or "priority" to the highest level.

Keep in mind that SWBF for the PC was optimized to run on:
32-bit non-dual core computers with ATI or NVIDIA graphics cards, 256-1 GB of RAM, DirectX9, and Windows 2000/ XP

On-topic question.
Do you guys want to send me the sides and mission luas so i can make it an "era"? Its just some scripting.
Current Projects:

Quote from: Phobos Developer on October 25, 2011, 08:05:34 PM
What is that limit and how can it be overridden?
Not sure what the "limit" is. But you need understand how a game works properly, heres how it works. First up the Game Engine - In SWBF case it uses Zero, the engine handles the rendering system, the format the models/textures and other data is stored in is understanded by the game engine. This is the main thing behind the game it is powering everything in SWBF case Zero engine uses throughout the three games that used it ODF files for objects .wld, .ter, .lgt, .sky and .fx(Theres more but their are so many it would take me a while to list them.) for level data. The game it self - The game may have expanded code to alow for something more specific to what the game needs(Like lightsaber combat in SW:JK in iD 3.)  the game itself has some coding to add in the game specific fuetres for that game, and the gamesdata.

Now that is how a game works they start out with an engine and build from that. And with game engines it is not as simple as changing a veriable to make the memory capacity of it bigger. You need to alter several things, you need to change the rendering system so it can take more load, you need to alter the level building system and bla, bla, bla. All of which require exstensive knowlage of C++ to change and of course SWBFs source code.

QuoteDo you guys want to send me the sides and mission luas so i can make it an "era"? Its just some scripting.
I'm not sure we are exactly at the point were we have any mission LUAs yet I do my side devolping first.

Quote from: SleepKiller on October 25, 2011, 08:44:40 PM
Not sure what the "limit" is. But you need understand how a game works properly, heres how it works. First up the Game Engine - In SWBF case it uses Zero, the engine handles the rendering system, the format the models/textures and other data is stored in is understanded by the game engine. This is the main thing behind the game it is powering everything in SWBF case Zero engine uses throughout the three games that used it ODF files for objects .wld, .ter, .lgt, .sky and .fx(Theres more but their are so many it would take me a while to list them.) for level data. The game it self - The game may have expanded code to alow for something more specific to what the game needs(Like lightsaber combat in SW:JK in iD 3.)  the game itself has some coding to add in the game specific fuetres for that game, and the gamesdata.

Now that is how a game works they start out with an engine and build from that. And with game engines it is not as simple as changing a veriable to make the memory capacity of it bigger. You need to alter several things, you need to change the rendering system so it can take more load, you need to alter the level building system and bla, bla, bla. All of which require exstensive knowlage of C++ to change and of course SWBFs source code.
I'm not sure we are exactly at the point were we have any mission LUAs yet I do my side devolping first.

I asked what the limit of memory for swbf1 was, and what file controlled that setting. I know how the game loads the level data, and some of my larger maps have caused crashes from having too many models. I do not know the exact number, but if someone was able to increase the memory limit for swbf1, my hardware is good enough to support it.

Quote from: Phobos Developer on October 25, 2011, 10:48:08 PM
I asked what the limit of memory for swbf1 was, and what file controlled that setting. I know how the game loads the level data, and some of my larger maps have caused crashes from having too many models. I do not know the exact number, but if someone was able to increase the memory limit for swbf1, my hardware is good enough to support it.
What I was trying to explain to you is that the game engine can not handle it, you need to understand how games internal mechinics work. It is not some thing like typing something like this SetMemoryLimit(512) C++ is far more complex than LUA which is what you appear to be used to, you can not just change the veriable you need to completly rewrite the engine's code so it can handle it.

On Topic: I'm currruntly working on a new rocket effect as the current one does not satisfie me.

so memory limits can't be changed through the modding tools available is what you're saying.

correct.
Current Projects:

Quote from: Phobos Developer on October 26, 2011, 04:05:01 AM
so memory limits can't be changed through the modding tools available is what you're saying.
Yeah, you can incrase the memory pools avalible for a specific thing walkers hovers etc etc etc. But the overall amount SWBF can handle would stay the same.