Star Wars as an Anime?

Started by Gold Man, June 21, 2013, 09:56:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hey guys, I'm not sure if everyone has already seen this, but I think this is pretty cool. This dude off of 4chan made a work in progress animation video last year or something, and I personally think it looks totally wicked. Tell me what ya think! I personally think it has that Anime art-style. :P

I like the style 1000% more than the CW show's style.
Thanks for pointing this out.

Hey wait a moment, I posted this somewhere ages ago. Never mind, it's worth spreading around repeatedly.
This is the same chap responsible for the Doctor Who Anime short film, which was also of very high quality.
Though it is without much of a narrative it's nice to see some of the classic imagery re-imagined in the anime style...

wow this is really cool, really well done.
i also like the color and animation style a lot better. my one complaint is that i dont like seeing behind the mask. in my opinion i hope to never see behind teh mask, i like the faceless storm trooper. the only faces i want to see out of a storm trooper uniform is hans and lukes

very enjoyable otherwise
Peace is a lie, there is only passion          -Fear leads to anger
Through passion, I gain strength              -Anger leads to hate
Through strength, I gain power                -Hate leads to suffering
Through power, I gain victory
Through victory, my chains are broken
The Force shall free me

ITs cool but really freacking weird at the same time ×_×

Thanks for posting, that was (over 9000x) better than all the best moments from all the prequels + all the cartoon network shows combined.

Well episode III was pretty beast.....other than that I agree with you.

This would make an excellent show.
Battfront Stuff if your interested.
http://www.youtube.com/user/411Remnant

I didn't really like it. But I think this type of thing is based on preference. I never liked the anime style so... :shrug:

I thought the CW series' style was interesting at first.

It is personal preference. I'm sure a lot of folks don't like the EU but it's there.
The fact that it is, and that all these stylized versions of the same story line exist at all, is a testament to Mr. Lucas' telling of the hero's journey.

My favorite manifestation of Star Wars is the old Marvel comics. Particularly the ones featuring Carmine Infantino.
Some say it's too off. The proportions are wrong, or the adventures were weak.  To my inner 12 year old, they were epic and the style was bold. I still read them over and over.

OffTopic from Wikipedia :
After The Walt Disney Company's acquisition of Lucasfilm in 2012, it has been reported that Marvel will once again be distributing Star Wars comics once Dark Horse's contract expires.

But Anime.  yeah.
Star Wars, done in Battle of the Planets or Akira style.
Just tell me where to mail all my money.
Or even as an extension of the Cowboy Bebop universe. Spike would be an awesome rogue Jedi.

Quote from: tirpider on June 25, 2013, 07:40:24 PM
I thought the CW series' style was interesting at first.
TCW had/has an interesting story with me in terms of my enjoyment of it.

Back in '08 I didn't really like the style of the show and I'll admit I was a Asohka AND Captain Rex hater. I didn't see them in the movies so how could they come in now?! Especially with Asohka. But I still watched it. I'm not sure why. Around season 3 I didn't watch a couple episodes but I went back to it. And no sooner does Season 5 roll around when I realize that I now care about ALL the characters in the show and have come to love the style. Especially the superb animation they created with season 5 (just watch a trailer to the movie, then a season 5 episode trailer. You WILL see the difference!).

When the show first came out I didn't really like it. But by Season 5's end I realized that this had been my Star Wars for close to 5 years (and counting) and thanks to the immersive stories and character development I love it now. Yes looking back I even enjoy the Droid Arc in Season 5.

So for those who think I'm a brainwashed SW fan, I'm not. I'm very VERY critical about media/entertainment I love. And things like TCW I grew to love. I didn't like it just because "it's SW and I like SW." :)

Quote from: Kit Fisto on June 25, 2013, 11:55:35 PM
TCW had/has an interesting story with me in terms of my enjoyment of it.

Back in '08 I didn't really like the style of the show and I'll admit I was a Asohka AND Captain Rex hater. I didn't see them in the movies so how could they come in now?! Especially with Asohka. But I still watched it. I'm not sure why. Around season 3 I didn't watch a couple episodes but I went back to it. And no sooner does Season 5 roll around when I realize that I now care about ALL the characters in the show and have come to love the style. Especially the superb animation they created with season 5 (just watch a trailer to the movie, then a season 5 episode trailer. You WILL see the difference!).

When the show first came out I didn't really like it. But by Season 5's end I realized that this had been my Star Wars for close to 5 years (and counting) and thanks to the immersive stories and character development I love it now. Yes looking back I even enjoy the Droid Arc in Season 5.

So for those who think I'm a brainwashed SW fan, I'm not. I'm very VERY critical about media/entertainment I love. And things like TCW I grew to love. I didn't like it just because "it's SW and I like SW." :)
Several of words of criticism and your spring back with a paragraph. Not that passion is a bad thing, but you can't deny that you are a fanatic.

What's lacking with this animation is the balance of realism.
The classic vehicles and technology is all there, it could even be traced from stills from the film. And yet the caricatured anime faces give it away.
But that's a hallmark of a lot of anime... even if Studio Ghibli proved that a balance can be struck.

Quote from: UNIT 33 on June 26, 2013, 08:12:58 AM
Several of words of criticism and your spring back with a paragraph. Not that passion is a bad thing, but you can't deny that you are a fanatic.
Heh. Yea after I was done typing it I realized how long it was. Fanatic? I can live with that. ;)