Best Film/Editor Programs

Started by {212th} Ldr. Norris, January 28, 2013, 11:19:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
I was wondering what programs are best for filming in-game and editing the films. I have xfire but the quality of the film is really bad. I also have Windows Movie maker which does its job... I have no intention of buying something, I don't think I will be making that many films. So anything you can suggest that is a free program would be a plus. 

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." -Bilbo Baggins

For Recording --> FRAPS
For editing --> Sony Vegas Pro
Anyder | Talent, Ops & Culture | SWBF & Player Engagement
Email: communityambassador@swbfgamers.com
SWBFSpy Discord: http://discord.swbfspy.com
SWBFSpy Info: http://info.swbfspy.com

Quote from: {U.E.F}Immor†al Anyder on January 28, 2013, 11:41:47 AM
For Recording --> FRAPS
Imovie ;) its all that macs are good for
Proud [Freelancer Consortium] Member! [FC]Leader.Helios

I believe Xfire and Windows Movie Maker produce videos that are a standard quality of 360p. If you are looking for HD like 720p or 1080p, then I suggest recording with Fraps. Windows Movie Maker should be able to produce HD videos, if the source videos are HD.

Quote from: [FC]Helios on January 28, 2013, 01:03:20 PM

Ok I guess all I have to do is buy a mac now  :happy:

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." -Bilbo Baggins

Quote from: {212th} Norris on January 28, 2013, 02:32:54 PM

Ok I guess all I have to do is buy a mac now  :happy:
lol its only $650+  :shrug:
Proud [Freelancer Consortium] Member! [FC]Leader.Helios

NCH software used to carry original VideoPad editor, it qas nice and HD, it had lots of effects and you could save MANY formats and in differnt custom quality, but since then, NCH has updated it, and it's really lame now...
I think I still have a setup.exe for it, but ill have to look on my pc to find it.
I'll edit post and upload it if I ever find it :D

For recording desktop, I made my own tool :P
but fraps works for ingame best.

Quote from: {U.E.F}Immor†al Anyder on January 28, 2013, 11:41:47 AM
For Recording --> FRAPS
lol Anyder your kinda wrong here, fraps does record but, if you dont have the registered version (Paying money) Then you only have 30 sec. max recording time and fraps watermark etc.
Also Sony Vegas Pro is eh on the free thing. I wouldn't just go out and download it because then you can get into some legal issues. Honestly if you aren't making movies/ videos for a profestion or for big youtube channel thing, xfire is the best way to go :)

January 28, 2013, 05:05:06 PM #9 Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 05:08:23 PM by aeria.
On the high-end video editing side, I'm a huge fan of premiere pro. It integrates well with the other Adobe applications (After Effects, Photoshop, etc), and I overall enjoy using in my video class in school. On the downside, it's 800 dollars. However IMO it's completely worth the price. It's an absolute blast to play with.

On the free side, I would recommend using virtualdub. While it's not the most user friendly program, it has the powerful editing tools that you need to get H.264 video ready for YouTube. And it's free!

Buy Fraps. Yes, it's 30 dollars. But it's the best game recording program I've used and there's quite a lot of bad ones out there. It records everything perfectly frame by frame. Get fraps. There's no free substitute worth mentioning.

#TYBG

Quote from: [FC]Helios on January 28, 2013, 01:03:20 PM

iMovie is terrible. Absolutely terrible. Even for beginner use it's always been a hassle. I always find it interesting how people are just able to use it regularly.

In general, Macs aren't the uncontended leader for the creative business anymore now that Windows has been stable enough to have their applications be just as capable (grammar issues in this sentence, idc). I currently edit video and do photoshop on a my PC and it's far less of a headache than on my Mac.

#TYBG

I second the use of Fraps.  Buy it.  You may not think twice about dropping a few dollars for a game--so why not get the pay version of Fraps.  I have had it for about 5 years.  They update it constantly and it will always work for you   ;)
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Quote from: -RepublicCommando- on January 28, 2013, 04:35:20 PM
NCH software used to carry original VideoPad editor, it qas nice and HD, it had lots of effects and you could save MANY formats and in differnt custom quality, but since then, NCH has updated it, and it's really lame now...
I think I still have a setup.exe for it, but ill have to look on my pc to find it.
I'll edit post and upload it if I ever find it :D

For recording desktop, I made my own tool :P
but fraps works for ingame best.

Sweet thanks :D

I will have to look into fraps and consider  :P

Found a setup that I saved to my flash drive, I have a version less (but better IMO) than the current one here, but I cannot seem to locate it, nevertheless, this should fulfill all over your needs.
Edit: Needs being video EDITING of course :P

(If I find the better version I'll reupload it to this link)
https://sites.google.com/site/swbfmoddingacademy/swbf-mods/vpsetup_v2.41.rar?attredirects=0&d=1