Help Getting Battlefront Running Again?

Started by Krats Ynot, April 06, 2014, 07:39:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
April 06, 2014, 07:39:18 PM Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 07:41:14 PM by Krats Ynot
I want to apologize in advance if this is not the place to post it, but I've been asking around for help with this, and had it suggested that I ask here. Anyway, I used to play I lay Battlefront a couple years ago, but replaced Windows with Linux & couldn't play anymore. Now I am trying to run Battlefront in Wine on Linux.  The game works fine, except that levels load extremely slowly, and I think this is what causes the server to drop the connection when I try to join. Could anyone produce a mod to increase the connection time?  I'd do it myself but it's been awhile since I've messed with modding and don't have the software for it anymore.  Sorry if this is too much trouble / not doable.

Well when your loading maps is it in SP or MP. If it's MP it might be a Tunngle/GR problem. If it's SP then it might just be a full RAM or hardrive that's slowing it down, as for a mod to make it run faster, I'm not to sure that's possible but it CAN (Can NOT will) be possible idk. Computer games can be tricky sometimes, even more when you have to mess with them like using Wine for it to run.
"I would explain it to you but your head might explode."

Well, it's a problem just with multiplayer; the computer can run it fine, just a Wine issue.  I guess I should've mentioned that, so I'll edit the post to have that. The last time I tried it was before the servers were taken down, though. 

I'm not trying to make it run faster, I just need a way to keep the connection from timing out while my game loads.

I don't think you can successfully run tunngle using wine.  That is likely the cause of your MP problems.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Sorry for bumping this old post, but I stumbled across it just now and had what sounds like a similar issue (slow loading screen) with Wine. Howdy Linux user.

There's a Wine patch to workaround this issue with SWBF I & II. See the last comment on the bug report for a patch that works with Wine 1.6.2. Seems to work well for me with GameMaster multiplayer.