Issue with recoloring Battle Droid tga files

Started by awjones3000, April 05, 2024, 05:20:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hello,

I checked out the tga files for the B1 Battle Droids, wanting to do some reskinning, but their files are almost totally transparent.  I am assuming the tga images are used for detailing of the model, and the model itself is just prefab'd with the main color of the droid (that tan color or whatever).  I was wondering for anyone who has had success in reskinning a B1 Battle Droid, how were you able to do so?

Thanks!

What image editing software are you using?

The tga has an alpha channel which gives the image file transparent qualities if (for example) opened as a preview.

Star Wars Battlefront and many other games use alpha channels to tell the game to give the the model certain qualaties.

With the stock battledroid, the alpha channel is used to tell the game where to add chrome-like shininess.

In most image editing software you should be able to open and edit the image file without seeing the transparency effect.

I use paint.net, however I guess I should download GIMP and try again.  Thank you for the shout about the alpha channel.

Quote from: awjones3000 on April 05, 2024, 07:54:33 AMI use paint.net, however I guess I should download GIMP and try again.  Thank you for the shout about the alpha channel.
Okay. I'm not too familiar with GIMP, but on the right hand side you will see panels for:

Layers | Channels | Paths

Go in channels and 'hide' the alpha channel so the image doesn't look transparent to you.

When making your edits to the tga, make sure the R G B channels are all selected.

The main thing to remember about tgas for Battlefront is that when you save / save as, it will ask if you want to have RLE Compression. Click no, or else it won't load in game properly.

April 06, 2024, 08:58:36 AM #4 Last Edit: April 06, 2024, 09:59:47 AM by awjones3000
I appreciate your help.  I was able to find a plugin for paint.net which hid the alpha.  Once I am finished with my edits, will I need to revert the alpha back to what it was before, or will the game be able to correctly read the texture?

I found the blender .msh plugin so I am able to import and view the character models and their UVs!

In addition to that, is munging the newly edited texture the only way to apply it?  Or does hex editing the texture onto the msh work?

Quote from: awjones3000 on April 06, 2024, 08:58:36 AMI appreciate your help.  I was able to find a plugin for paint.net which hid the alpha.  Once I am finished with my edits, will I need to revert the alpha back to what it was before, or will the game be able to correctly read the texture?

I found the blender .msh plugin so I am able to import and view the character models and their UVs!

In addition to that, is munging the newly edited texture the only way to apply it?  Or does hex editing the texture onto the msh work?
As to the first question, I think it would be fine as long as the alpha isn't deleted. Test it and see what happens!

I use photoshop, which hides the alpha by default.

Good to hear you're checking out the blender pluggin. It's a great way to view your edits quickly.

As to the last question, yes you have to put your new tgas in your msh folder and munge. The game can't load the new textures if they're not actually in the game data (!)

The easiest / laziest way is to simply replace the existing tgas (by keeping your new texture the same file name).

Don't forget to run the 'clean' .bat file before every munge... and most of all backup your stock files.