Star Wars Battlefront (DICE) Space Battles and Space to Ground Combat!

Started by SWBFCentral, January 18, 2014, 03:49:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I made a dual commentary with CyberAceGaming discussing Space Related things we would both like to see in Dices Upcoming Battlefront title!

I have already posted this in Battlefront, however i thought since its a dual commentary aswell it wouldn't hurt to get everyone in contributing their ideas :)
This is my Star Wars Battlefront news channel, feel free to check it out if you are looking for a good place to catch up on the latest Battlefront News.
www.YouTube.com/SWBFCentral

So BF3 maps are gonna be like Elite Squad's maps... CHHHRRRRRIIIIIIIST
"I would explain it to you but your head might explode."

Quote from: {TCE}Call-of-Duty on January 18, 2014, 05:02:13 PM
So BF3 maps are gonna be like Elite Squad's maps... CHHHRRRRRIIIIIIIST
Not necessarily, these were just our thoughts on the matter, Im sure if done correctly it will be good, But then again it is EA so expect to pay for a ticket every time you want to take a ship to the planet xD
This is my Star Wars Battlefront news channel, feel free to check it out if you are looking for a good place to catch up on the latest Battlefront News.

There will be a 3rd person view correct?Also single player?if this  2 features are not in the game then it will be fail :D

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I don't want space to ground. The whole concept of it is that bigger is better. Which is just plain wrong.

Let's look at Titanfall, fun looking game. Awesome looking jetpack mechanics and you get to call down a giant robot from the sky no matter your skill level. (Also the art direction looks pretty good as well.) Only 6v6. Now if this is your first time hearing it and you were looking forward to Titanfall you are probably thinking "Only 6v6?! Games have had more players than that for ages now."

Now the thing is a lot of people are saying it's a technical limitation because of all the AI they have running around.  If you're one of those people you clearly do not understand what post-modern hardware is capable of. No, this is a design decision. They've tested it with probably every single player count you can think of during it's development and have come away from that deciding 6v6 is what will work best.

You are probably thinking at this point. What does Titanfall have to do with SWBF? The answer is simple bigger is not always better.

Space to ground sounds like fun, but stop and think what it actually means.

A. Massive maps. I don't want to have to do five minutes of walking on ground just because all the speeder bikes were taken. And then if I'm a beginner and encounter someone after that five minutes I'll probably just get killed. Then another five minutes of walking. Yay! (I get that this wouldn't be a problem for some people, but for me it would be.)

B. Star-fighter ground support. So after that five minutes of walking let's say a capital ship gets destroyed. Suddenly all those fighters and bombers have nothing left to fight and nothing stopping them from going down to the ground. That would be a slaughter for one team and would reduce the game to a contest to destroy the capital ship itself.

That just isn't the kind of SWBF I want.

Quote from: SleepKiller on January 19, 2014, 01:45:54 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I don't want space to ground. The whole concept of it is that bigger is better. Which is just plain wrong.

Let's look at Titanfall, fun looking game. Awesome looking jetpack mechanics and you get to call down a giant robot from the sky no matter your skill level. (Also the art direction looks pretty good as well.) Only 6v6. Now if this is your first time hearing it and you were looking forward to Titanfall you are probably thinking "Only 6v6?! Games have had more players than that for ages now."

Now the thing is a lot of people are saying it's a technical limitation because of all the AI they have running around.  If you're one of those people you clearly do not understand what post-modern hardware is capable of. No, this is a design decision. They've tested it with probably every single player count you can think of during it's development and have come away from that deciding 6v6 is what will work best.

You are probably thinking at this point. What does Titanfall have to do with SWBF? The answer is simple bigger is not always better.

Space to ground sounds like fun, but stop and think what it actually means.

A. Massive maps. I don't want to have to do five minutes of walking on ground just because all the speeder bikes were taken. And then if I'm a beginner and encounter someone after that five minutes I'll probably just get killed. Then another five minutes of walking. Yay! (I get that this wouldn't be a problem for some people, but for me it would be.)

B. Star-fighter ground support. So after that five minutes of walking let's say a capital ship gets destroyed. Suddenly all those fighters and bombers have nothing left to fight and nothing stopping them from going down to the ground. That would be a slaughter for one team and would reduce the game to a contest to destroy the capital ship itself.

That just isn't the kind of SWBF I want.

I see what you mean with that effect. Giving the bigger picture, it would be a kill-fest with larger maps and many players. Perhaps if it were more balanced like the formula they had for Battlefield 2142? (I'm just guessing, I don't know if the game was really any good whatsoever.)

swbf1 flight mechanics were by far superior to swbf2s....and im not just saying that cause of my affinity to flying but the whole lock on mechanics with the starfighter ruined the whole where is the enemy fighting aspect of it as well as the unlimited lock on missiles they had was also really stupid...i did like the no ability to do strafing runs though that was a plus

Quote from: hellish hellbird on January 19, 2014, 02:29:02 PM
swbf1 flight mechanics were by far superior to swbf2s....and im not just saying that cause of my affinity to flying but the whole lock on mechanics with the starfighter ruined the whole where is the enemy fighting aspect of it as well as the unlimited lock on missiles they had was also really stupid...i did like the no ability to do strafing runs though that was a plus
I agree that the Flight mechanics were superior for Faster moving aircraft, However Battlefront 2 also incorporated features which should be included in Dice's Battlefront, The unlimited lock on missiles were extreme, However the Lack of accuracy in Battlefront 1 meant that the missiles were rarely useful anyway, Also the Bombing mechanics in Battlefront 2 were superior for the amount of Kills you could get, But could be better supplemented by a system of prediction rather than just firing the Torpedos forward with a impact detonation.

I would love to see space to ground battles.Actually it will be amazing in the end if DICE make their Battlefront just like the FREE RADICAL BF3 version just with better grapchis.Its a shame they cancell it.I am saying this because i found a guy that have played the final (almost finishe) version of FREE RADICAL Battlefront 3 and he say that the game was amazing.If some of you want to hear for what i am talking check this:

This is the guy who played it and have connections with some of the devs from FREE RADICAL.

So this is even more up to date then past to present to onlines (ptponline) videos?
Battfront Stuff if your interested.
http://www.youtube.com/user/411Remnant

Quote from: SWBFCentral on January 29, 2014, 05:22:11 AM
I agree that the Flight mechanics were superior for Faster moving aircraft, However Battlefront 2 also incorporated features which should be included in Dice's Battlefront, The unlimited lock on missiles were extreme, However the Lack of accuracy in Battlefront 1 meant that the missiles were rarely useful anyway, Also the Bombing mechanics in Battlefront 2 were superior for the amount of Kills you could get, But could be better supplemented by a system of prediction rather than just firing the Torpedos forward with a impact detonation.

The missles in swbf 1 like the xwing could destroy pretty much all the tie fighters health and the Jedi star fighters missles did about one third of the vultures health and they had lock on too just not to the extreme as it is in swbf 2....that being said the xwing was severely broken because xwing v xwing missles rarely hit...same with rocket trooper rockets you could literally fly into like eight missles and none would hit...I had a video of that somewhere but either way the xwing was way overpowered considering the lasers and the missles did so much damage it just out scaled the ties improved lasers...which the crosshairs were really really off in third person

The videos in past to present are quick and dirty port from PC to XBOX.Its pre alpha version.The AI sistem is just started there.The version there is aroun 8 months early from the Leaked Gameplay Video.I think DICE will go far away from FREE RADICAL version and it will be something different from the classic battlefront.Maybe some of you will think i am crazy but every day i think about this and i am scare....  :ohmy:

Im scared to. Im afriad they are going to turn it into a first person shooter simliar to battlefield. They said they are going to do it the way they thought battlefront should be, im not sure what they mean by that. Obviously they have a different idea on how to make battlefront than we do, so hopefully they  add some kind of 3rd person element.
Battfront Stuff if your interested.
http://www.youtube.com/user/411Remnant

I really hope that this kind of 3rd person wont be only a simple spectator mode  :slap:
Imagine that :D