Lord of the Rings Conquest

Started by deadmeow, March 31, 2013, 10:57:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Has anyone played this game?  I Bought this a like 3 years ago or so, and I remember I played it online once, and then they took the servers offline a week later.

It has a similar style to SWBF, which is why I bought it, but since the company decided to kill the servers while the game was still new, I uninstalled the game and never bothered with it again.  Now that we have tunngle I am going to try it again.

BTW, I never seen any of the Lord of the Rings films, just thought it was an interesting game.

Quote from: deadmeow on March 31, 2013, 10:57:50 PM
Has anyone played this game?  I Bought this a like 3 years ago or so, and I remember I played it online once, and then they took the servers offline a week later.

It has a similar style to SWBF, which is why I bought it, but since the company decided to kill the servers while the game was still new, I uninstalled the game and never bothered with it again.  Now that we have tunngle I am going to try it again.

BTW, I never seen any of the Lord of the Rings films, just thought it was an interesting game.

I haven't exactly played it (though I know a friend who had/has it for his PS3), but I remember the game got alot of negative feedback. Thing is, the game itself is based on a heavily upgraded Zero Engine (same engine SWBFI and II use), however the game itself was rushed into a finished product. There's a sense of some parts unpolished, and the multiplayer was cut because the MP was so off-balance for most players (everyone played as a sorcerer), they just decided to can it.

I think it might have been a fun game if Pandemic actually had time to polish it properly, and fix up the multiplayer. Other than that, I'd say give it a shot if you feel like, I wouldn't expect much of a welcome though.

And no, I don't have the game, if you were wondering.

Warning Rant Ahead
Quote from: {Alpha}Gold Man on April 01, 2013, 07:38:18 AM
I haven't exactly played it (though I know a friend who had/has it for his PS3), but I remember the game got alot of negative feedback. Thing is, the game itself is based on a heavily upgraded Zero Engine (same engine SWBFI and II use), however the game itself was rushed into a finished product. There's a sense of some parts unpolished, and the multiplayer was cut because the MP was so off-balance for most players (everyone played as a sorcerer), they just decided to can it.

I think it might have been a fun game if Pandemic actually had time to polish it properly, and fix up the multiplayer. Other than that, I'd say give it a shot if you feel like, I wouldn't expect much of a welcome though.

And no, I don't have the game, if you were wondering.
I have never seen a developer say that is what the engine is. I have seen developers say Star Wars: The Clone Wars used Zero, which was an upgraded version (They kept the parts they liked and chucked out the parts they didn't.) of the engine Battlezone II used. Now in Battlezone II you can switch to the editor mid-game and vice-versa I don't know about you but I have never seen anything like that in SWBF. Also the formats used by the games are completely different SW:TCW you have your .msh files and your .odf files. SWBF you have vastly different formats that the engine actually reads.

As for the SWBF engine being the one that powered LOTR:C I don't know about that. I've played it, you can only go so far with upgrading an engine. Certain stuff in the game seems to be beyond what SWBF's engine could deliver even an upgraded one. (Also the file formats are completely different. If your pressed for time why would you spend the time required to make new methods of storing game data.)

I'm betting you got that bit of information from Wikipedia's page on Zero. They have no sources for any game but Star Wars: The Clone Wars. Keep that in mind.

April 01, 2013, 04:35:09 PM #3 Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 04:37:43 PM by {Alpha}Gold Man
Quote from: SleepKiller on April 01, 2013, 03:30:26 PM
I have never seen a developer say that is what the engine is. I have seen developers say Star Wars: The Clone Wars used Zero, which was an upgraded version (They kept the parts they liked and chucked out the parts they didn't.) of the engine Battlezone II used. Now in Battlezone II you can switch to the editor mid-game and vice-versa I don't know about you but I have never seen anything like that in SWBF. Also the formats used by the games are completely different SW:TCW you have your .msh files and your .odf files. SWBF you have vastly different formats that the engine actually reads.

As for the SWBF engine being the one that powered LOTR:C I don't know about that. I've played it, you can only go so far with upgrading an engine. Certain stuff in the game seems to be beyond what SWBF's engine could deliver even an upgraded one. (Also the file formats are completely different. If your pressed for time why would you spend the time required to make new methods of storing game data.)

I'm betting you got that bit of information from Wikipedia's page on Zero. They have no sources for any game but Star Wars: The Clone Wars. Keep that in mind.

I actually did retrieve the info from Wikipedia (I had read about it in the past though before this). I know Wikipedia isn't exactly a resourceful source of info in some cases (this most likely being one of them), though there are some games that play on heavily modified versions of other engines, I know that for a fact. Also, if you google what engine LOTR:C uses, it will come up with Zero engine, and not just on Wikipedia, ModDB as well.

Anyways, back to the topic at hand plz. :P

ModDB source of information is most likely from Wikipedia. No one has any logical observations or facts to back up the claim of LOTR:C using Zero.

BTW, I never seen any of the Lord of the Rings films.

^This desperately needs to change^ 

I haven't played the game though  :P

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." -Bilbo Baggins

I never seen any of the Lord of the Rings films
Quote from: SleepKiller on April 01, 2013, 03:30:26 PM
Warning Rant Ahead
I thought your rant was going to be about that. :P