GameRanger issue

Started by deadmeow, November 11, 2012, 03:09:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Gameranger won't allow you to start from the shortcut, it will only recognize the battlefront.exe file.  I even tried renaming the shortcut to "battlefront.exe", but gameranger would have no part of that, it wants the large battlefront.exe file only.  So it looks like we are stuck at 15 fps (or whatever the original online low fps default was).

Gameranger is the most convenient, although tunggle may be the best way to play without the proper server.  I have a 2 computer network connected via crossover cable, and in the past I used Hamatchi (similar to tunngle) and it messed up my network.

Hopefully the servers will be back up soon, or I may have to play start playing some SWBF2 again, haha.  SWBF1 is my favorite though.

Go into the profile that that GR loads and change the on-line options to 30 ticks.  The shortcut method worked for me, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

Are trying to host or trying to play?

Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Host or play, it does the same thing.  BTW I am using the PC version, not Mac.  Where is this Game Ranger profile you speak of?

D:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\GameRanger\GameRanger Prefs, in this folder there is a file called "settings", and if opened with wordpad, nothing is intelligible, except for the game directory pathways.

If you just select the shortcut file, it reverts back to the original exe, (as it does with all games).

Has anyone found a way to play with normal FPS on gameranger??

November 11, 2012, 05:51:37 AM #3 Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 06:24:57 AM by Buckler
Well, I am hosting at 30 tick server right now, on which you will get 30 FPS, so it works to play at 30 FPS. I'm not sure why you are digging around inside of MyDocuments fies, I described how to access the options in menu options of the GR window.

I will see if I can make a screen shot for you.  Check back here later today.

edit:  OK, I see the issue.  Playing with noframelock is a problem.  However, you can still host at 30 ticks per second by changing your on line options.  My server on GR is 30 FPS.

You may be able to make a launcher and called it Battlefront.exe that starts a link with noframelock in it to play with no framelock...but that seems like a bit hassle.  I really suggest you figure out tunngle.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

The actual frame lock FPS is 30 I believe, so this issue on gameranger is to turn off the frame lock.  Game Ranger is good for many games because you don't have to install vpn software and it works around router-firewalls.