SWBFI unofficail 1.4 patch?

Started by Kit Fisto, October 01, 2012, 07:01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hi SWBFgamers! So SWBFII has an unofficail 1.3 patch, so how about we make a SWBF 1.4 patch that is community made and online compatible with 1.2!
Post your ideas on this!

Mine would be
HD skins for ALL factions/vehicles
Improved effects
Option to make the stock map "lowerz"

This would be community made...

I'd recommend adding SWBF2 converted maps without using up the AddOn map limit.

I agree that it should be OC with the 1.2 version of the game. It'd be cool to have improved sides for all maps.

Technically, this has already been made, just not organized into one patch. You can change just about every aspect of your game with all the mods that have been released here.

Quote from: Agent Z on October 01, 2012, 07:10:55 PM
I'd recommend adding SWBF2 converted maps without using up the AddOn map limit.

I agree that it should be OC with the 1.2 version of the game. It'd be cool to have improved sides for all maps.
Yes good idea about the converted maps. I think all of them have stable ports that use stock sides thanks to Sereja and SleepKiller for perfect ports!
Would you want to participate in this?

Quote from: Kit Fisto on October 01, 2012, 07:14:50 PM
Would you want to participate in this?
I don't see why not. Although, there isn't much that I could do. I'm busy this time of year, and I haven't been modding much.

Well this is meant to be a community effort so hopefully other people will join in!  :cheers:
Lets get the ideas out and I will edit my first post so we have for sure:

HD skins for all factions and vehicles
SWBFII converted maps bypassing addon map limit ( all using stock sides )

Did you want to do the improved effects and/or the lowerz thing I suggested?

October 01, 2012, 07:32:15 PM #5 Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 07:34:07 PM by Agent Z
If this is truly community-based, why don't you wait to see how others feel about this before you get it going. ;)

This is a very off-the-wall idea that will take a lot of effort to make. But honestly, if people are satisfied with their current game, then this patch would just be sitting around. If this patch is OC with 1.2, then it's way easier just to let people pick and choose their files how they want them rather than getting a patch that they partially like.

Just putting a little insight on this... Don't get me wrong, a new patch would be cool. :)

October 01, 2012, 07:36:41 PM #6 Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 07:44:48 PM by Kit Fisto
Well yes this is community effort so I ask you "the community" what would you like to see in this patch? Post any of your ideas but don't make them too crazy.  ;)
I would like to hear the big time modders ( SleepKiller, Phobos, jdee, Sereja, Bucker, ggtuck, any other SWBF modders ) opinion on this and what they would like to see in this mod?

I like the idea. Give it a big play testing period though as well as a final vote. Otherwise I think the idea is great. I think it should not be done in haste how ever mainly due in part that I wanna see it done right. But yeah I am all for it.  :tu:
photobucket limit image removed

Oh! Another thing that might not even be possible but worth a try is eliminating or lowering low resolution texture! :cheers:

Good idea bad presentation and ideas about what to put in it.

I don't like the idea of adding in SWBFII maps and eliminating low resolution models. The former isn't something you would put in a patch and IDK how many have PCs that could handle the later.

Anyway technically us modders were kind of semi-working on one anyway. You lot just can't see it because you need prolific modder status to see the forum. Basically we were/are (By we I mean me.) working on getting new eras 100% up and running. But life has been a bit distracting from modding and there are many other things I have been trying to do so it hasn't seen much progress in a while.

The SWBFII one is about adding more technical functionality to SWBFII, not visual upgrades. If we were to do it that is what I would do. I would love to see a HD graphics mod but that is what it should stay a HD texture mod, not be added to an unofficial patch. Stuff I would like to do in an unofficial patch.

• Support For new eras.
  • Support For additional Gamemodes on the map selection screen
  • A Fake Console similar to Zerted's one
  • Support for Addon campaigns
  • Support for custom Galactic Conquests

Bottom line: To be purely honest I don't like any of the ideas listed in this topic so far. (Hey you asked for my opinion.) But all these ideas have there place, in a different mod not one that you would call a patch. If you did that you could make a great mod.

Kit,

See the SWBFupdate forum...
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Quote from: Buckler on October 02, 2012, 04:59:16 AM
Kit,

See the SWBFupdate forum...
This was meant to work offline as well. Because as I understood if I d/l that it has no use to me since I can't play online on the PC servers. Maybe if it worked offline...

Thank's for your opinion SK, maybe we can just change this into a mod or something like that. Maybe we could not give it the title "patch" but some other title and include all SWBFII maps and HD skins etc. :dry:

There are ways to make SWBFupdate work in SP.  It won't be convenient though until we get the add new era issues taken care of.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

October 02, 2012, 09:37:07 AM #13 Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 09:40:09 AM by Phobos
Quote from: SleepKiller on October 01, 2012, 11:00:40 PM
Anyway technically us modders were kind of semi-working on one anyway. You lot just can't see it because you need prolific modder status to see the forum. Basically we were/are (By we I mean me.) working on getting new eras 100% up and running.

I expected you to say something like this. Of course Buckler knows that you aren't the ONLY modder working on third eras, I am also working hard on a vital component of the LUA scripting as can be seen here
http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=5034.0
Seeing how there's 0 downloads for my work so far I'll assume you either overlooked that thread or don't find it relevant. Just know that having kamino and endor listed twice is not acceptable for me. Progress has been slow since I am stuck on the very last chunk of code but I think eventually it will be cracked.

Quote from: SleepKiller on October 01, 2012, 11:00:40 PM
Good idea bad presentation and ideas about what to put in it.

I don't like the idea of adding in SWBFII maps and eliminating low resolution models. The former isn't something you would put in a patch and IDK how many have PCs that could handle the later.

Anyway technically us modders were kind of semi-working on one anyway. You lot just can't see it because you need prolific modder status to see the forum. Basically we were/are (By we I mean me.) working on getting new eras 100% up and running. But life has been a bit distracting from modding and there are many other things I have been trying to do so it hasn't seen much progress in a while.

The SWBFII one is about adding more technical functionality to SWBFII, not visual upgrades. If we were to do it that is what I would do. I would love to see a HD graphics mod but that is what it should stay a HD texture mod, not be added to an unofficial patch. Stuff I would like to do in an unofficial patch.

• Support For new eras.
  • Support For additional Gamemodes on the map selection screen
  • A Fake Console similar to Zerted's one
  • Support for Addon campaigns
  • Support for custom Galactic Conquests

Bottom line: To be purely honest I don't like any of the ideas listed in this topic so far. (Hey you asked for my opinion.) But all these ideas have there place, in a different mod not one that you would call a patch. If you did that you could make a great mod.

This is something I highly agree with. Patches might also tweak things like unit settings but they don't ever touch the graphics unless there's problems with them. HD graphics mods are generally not SWBF-compatible - believe me, we've been trying to figure that one out, but one HD clone tropper can turn almost all the other units on the map into lowres.

I might add my own thing in to say that not only should new eras be accepted, but that SWBFII's addon achitecture might be explored (I know that neither SWBF nor SWBFII have the addon LUA commands built into the executeable, it's more like they're added 'functions' placed in the shell). One day, I'd like to see mods that don't require a single file replacement beyond the initial patch as SWBFII mods are right now. In other words, mods that run entirely from the addon folder.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)
--Endor: Imperial Base

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1