A few questions

Started by {Alpha}Boom27, July 06, 2012, 10:59:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hey, I'm really new to modding, and there's a lot of things I've run into a few things that I just can't figure out.

First is probably something that's simple, but I just don't know what to do. I've figured out I can change the .MSH and .TGA files to make my own custom skins and models, but sometimes it doesn't add up. I used a mandalorian model and skin (from a previous request I made) to replace the arc trooper and its skin. I figured out I could rename the files to rep_inf_arc_blue and it'd work. I modded the .ODF to give the heavy a jetpack and take away the jet's jetpack and decided I wanted some sort of arc commander class instead of a jet, seeing as my new mando would take over as ariel assault. I replaced the model and skins with the appropriate files, but the arc model still wants to pull its skin from the rep_inf_arc_blue files, which are the mandalorian skins, so when I munge the rep.lvl up, the arc commander looks goofy. I don't know what's wrong, and would really appreciate some insight and wisdom here.

Second, and this is probably same or similar situation as the first, I don't have a clue how to implement custom weapon models. I .ODF modded the commando pistol to fire like and smg and put it with the heavy class so my mando could use it. I ran across a mandalorian rifle model and skin, but I have no idea how to put it in and make it look right. I can set the commando pistol .ODF to draw its .MSH from the mando rifle, but then I have no idea how to make the .MSH draw its skin from the mando skin. I munge and end up with a black model. Again, I'd appreciate insight and wisdom.

Third, and more of a relative curiosity. How do you change unit and weapon names? I'm sure it isn't .ODF because the tutorials I've read don't mention it nor have I found an appropriate line to change it.

To finish, I use the SWBF1 Modding LVL Builders Toolbox V4b as my methods of modding, so I'm not sure if I have the means to change any of the above problems, but I may and just not know. Thanks to anyone who will shed some light on this.
That can't be right... 4 megatons is supposed to leave a much bigger crater...

As for the first question regarding textures, I think when different msh files use textures with the same name, you have to hex edit the name of one differently and rename the tga so it doesn't call on the same texture. Also make sure to null out // the odf lines overridetexture if they are present.

For the msh file open it in mesh viewer and see what tga it calls on. That tga must be present in the msh folder also or it will munge without a texture.

Changing names is done via localization of core.lvl you can edit stock names or add names to new mod weapons this way.

Nice to see new modders and good luck with learning how to mod your sides. :tu:

I think your logic is all messed up. If you have a mando model and skin then all you have to do is change the geometry name in the .odf to the name of that .msh. If you take a .tga for one model and place it over another one for a totally different model, it's usually going to look really messed up.

For this, the mando rifle model should have come with its own skin. Changing what .tga an .msh calls requires Hex Editing which should not be needed in this case since I haven't seen any mando rifles released with no .tga's.

I recommend using the full SWBF Mod Tools
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

Can you give me a link to the mesh viewer? If I can figure out was .TGAs the .MSH files naturally want pull their skins from, then I won't need to replace files and can just retype the geometry name like Snake suggested.

July 07, 2012, 03:43:33 PM #5 Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 03:45:26 PM by Phobos
Quote from: tirpider on July 07, 2012, 01:58:17 PM
Link: Tim Skillman's MSH Viewer

*a bit offtopic*
This has been bugging me, is there any way to hack the exe to remove the startup prompt that asks you to check for files in swbf1/2 folders? It gets annoying having to click NO twice every time.

Quote from: Phobos on July 07, 2012, 03:43:33 PM
*a bit offtopic*
This has been bugging me, is there any way to hack the exe to remove the startup prompt that asks you to check for files in swbf1/2 folders? It gets annoying having to click NO twice every time.
Don't know about hacking it, but just having the:
SWBF_BF1List
SWBF_BF2List
files in the same folder as the executable, should keep it from prompting.

Also letting it check and find files should recreate the list files. It just takes a while to let it run.

I never use the list feature and would like to do away with it altogether.

Quote from: Phobos on July 07, 2012, 03:43:33 PM
*a bit offtopic*

Oh God. That pop-up prompt is the most annoying thing in the world.

Ok, so I downloaded the .MSH viewer and it performs just as I hoped. Renamed the .ODF's to pull from the right .MSH's with the right .TGAs. In the .MSH viewer, the model looks correct and stuff. When I munge though, it says the model has no collision geometry. It finishes and I try to play it, but it crashes to desktop. I'm guessing it has to do something with the .OPTION files, but I'm not sure how to set it up.

did you try sptest can you post logs here? the command -nocollision in a msh option will disable collision, make sure that is not present for units.

Nevermind. It was just my own goofy mistake. I figured out that I just messed up the .ODF. The skin as a whole is working beautifully. Thanks for the help guys. Maybe soon I might have up somewhere.