1.3 beta --- some ideas to move toward it

Started by Led, July 02, 2011, 10:35:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hi SWBFgamers,

In previous discussions we have talked about 1.3 beta, and the issues it has--not compatible with Best of PC (BoPC) and not compatible with non-English versions.

I think the reason it wont upgrade those systems is that the installer checks to see if it is the correct version, perhaps by checking the windows registry. 

Does anyone want to help me investigate this issue? 

Here are some advantages if we could move the community to 1.3 beta:

-----------------------------------------------------
CHANGES FROM 1.2
-----------------------------------------------------

Multiplayer

- Unlocked frame rate
- Better tolerance of latency spikes and frame rate spikes
- Fixed an end of game hang
- Better smoothing of predicted positions and orientations
- Allow more maps specified from dedicated server command line
- Better Droideka prediction
- Added remote admin support for those hosting dedicated servers
- Tighter clock synchronization under normal conditions
- Fixed joining servers behind most firewalls
- Allow more mod maps (was 50, now 512)

Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Isn't the non-compatibility something to do with the executeable? Wouldn't it be breaking the EULA to fix these problems?
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)
--Endor: Imperial Base

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1

The 1.2 patch asks for a same language, if you download the spanish patch, it wont work.
We have to find the changes in the .exe file and see if we can extract them.

Quote from: ggctuk2005 on July 02, 2011, 11:09:30 AM
Isn't the non-compatibility something to do with the executeable? Wouldn't it be breaking the EULA to fix these problems?

Well, this idea would not be a exe hack.  It would be a registry hack, i.e. make the installer think that the it is installing over the top of the english language 1.2 version (assuming that a registry setting is what controls the install process).

It is possible that the installer reads the 1.2 executable, but I kind out doubt that, more likely a configuration file or something.

In any event, this, so far is an excerise is seeing what the install process is *doing* not changing the exe.

Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

or change the registry so that the check (if it does) succeeds
if you have the 1.3 patch installed can you go into regedit
go into hkey_local_machine/software/lucasarts adn tell what you see there

I think someone should email lucasarts to clarify whether or not they even care about EULA infringing EXE modifications. They obviously didn't do anything when battlebelk released the SPtest No green screen loader, or when the no cd EXEs were released. I highly doubt they will care about other modifications but it is a good idea to contact them for clarification.

I don't think a registry hack is sufficient for this because there is some coding in the game itself that was altered.