Tips

Started by Goldman, May 02, 2010, 08:22:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
What are some really helpful tips for swbf
For each class and for playing on cc.
sam i am i am $3xy yes i am xD

Don't jump too often. You can't jump and shoot.

Learn how to sticky nade and learn what floors can be sticky, learn how to properly use nades to make your enemy move in the direction YOU want them to move.

Learn how to strafe and aim at the same time. It's a lot harder than it sounds but it's a highly effective skill.

Learn how to properly adjust your shot as a sniper corresponding to distance and estimated spot where your enemy will be.

Install/make texture hacks. lol

Practice and practice a lot. At my peak I had at least 300 logged hours of playing SWBF. Now I suck because I rarely play it.

Play with friends, try doing 1 on 1 matches.

Learn from others.

Learn how to navigate the hallway corners of CC. Learn the hiding/peeking spots. Use sticky nades to effectively take out enemies trying to flank you.

Increase resolution size.

Get a decent mouse that provides decent accuracy and comfort. Any Apple mouse is not acceptable as a gaming mouse.

Turn down video settings so that you'll get a better framerate.

Learn how to mine throw. It's very useful as a rocket.

Recon droids have a surprisingly big radius, use it at the door of a CP to take out a few enemies.

Mine CPs. They'll hate you for it but it's an effective strategy.

Keep on moving. Don't stand still.

Keep on strafing. A strafing target's always harder to hit.

Learn how to effectively use the pistol.

Have fun.

--AG

#TYBG

What is that?

That part was kind of random. It's possible to modify the textures so that they're invisible. Therefore, you see where everyone is 0_o.

Not like anyone ever uses them... ahem...

#TYBG

Where do i ask for maps and mods?

Ryan has worked very hard on archiving every SWBF map to date.
Check em out here: http://www.mpcgamers.com/smf/index.php?topic=310.0

Still can't find what you're looking for? Try:
http://www.swbffiles.com/
http://www.the-pants.org/
Check our downloads section.

If you still can't find a map/you have a map idea, post here:
http://www.mpcgamers.com/smf/index.php?board=14.0

--AG

#TYBG

http://www.mpcgamers.com/smf/index.php?topic=1478.msg17847#msg17847

This topic has some good tips, and covers quite a bit. I'd say the most important thing to getting better is just playing and practicing often.

tips?  roll, jump, grenades.
pressing spacebar (jump) while strafing will activate the roll. if there's one thing i love doing, it's rolling. roll roll roll. why a few players began to call me "rolly polly".  there's a few different types of rolls.
The Wall Roll is when you roll from behind a thin wall and arrive on the other side. i do this all the time on Cloud City at the entrance of the bridge part. there's those thin walls that, with a single roll, i can get on the other side swiftly and without taking much damage. rolling to get to a particular position is sometimes better and faster than just walking there. Doing this roll involves moving your mouse in the right direction. rolling around obstacle and recovering good position is a good way to go.
The Reload Roll is when you reload while rolling, which is a sometimes a good idea when you're a sniper. notice that rolling is always sometimes a good idea. i roll far too much for my own good. a good portion of my death come from my incessant jumping and rolling.  in any case, rolling is good when the terrain is right for it. reloading while rolling saved time while you're trying to dodge..projectiles.
The Feint Roll is when you roll while twisting the mouse all the way around, thus making you end up in the same spot where you first activated the roll. the idea here is the trick your opponent into thinking you'll roll to the side. again, the terrain and obstacles sorta needs to be in your favor to pull off this move successfully. it's not a very good move because if your opponent isn't tricked, you'll look pretty dumb rolling around in front of your foe with a big "free kills!" sticker on your helmet.
The Nade Roll is like nade-jumping but only instead of jumping from your grenade, you roll instead. nade-jumping is very efficient when you get the hang of it. it offers a great way to travel and get to high places for sniping and whatnot.  but sometimes i nade-roll. it has less arch and shoots you far. if i'm in a hurry to get to the front lines, i do the nade-roll to get there.  simply throw your grenade in front of you, time the explosion, turn sideways, roll toward the direction you want to go and BOOM!  don't try this sort of thing when team attack is on

Other Tips, Advance tips (And a hack:P):

Never walk in a straight line

You move faster side to side when scoped than when you arent

always scope with pistol and rifle long range

aim for the head and chest....with all weapons

sniper is effective at close range too

in cloud city you can throw a nade just right when you first enter the hallway at the ceiling and it will land in the middle room and pwn people hiding

never get angry or you will start failing alot

join a good clan to teach you

come to MPCGamers tournaments!

throw grenades at walls behind the target and they might not move because they think it passed them

throw nades angled so they hit the ceiling and sticky on the floor by the target

aim at the ground with missiles and they will cause splash damage

use pistol while reloading (Or hide)

Uhh I cant think of much more but there are alot of things i cant really explain in words
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

Zig Zag and hide behind a lamp for me.

Quote from: ag on May 02, 2010, 08:47:22 PM
Don't jump too often. You can't jump and shoot.

Learn how to sticky nade and learn what floors can be sticky, learn how to properly use nades to make your enemy move in the direction YOU want them to move.

Learn how to strafe and aim at the same time. It's a lot harder than it sounds but it's a highly effective skill.

Learn how to properly adjust your shot as a sniper corresponding to distance and estimated spot where your enemy will be.

Practice and practice a lot. At my peak I had at least 300 logged hours of playing SWBF. Now I suck because I rarely play it.

Play with friends, try doing 1 on 1 matches.

Learn from others.

Learn how to navigate the hallway corners of CC. Learn the hiding/peeking spots. Use sticky nades to effectively take out enemies trying to flank you.

Increase resolution size.

Get a decent mouse that provides decent accuracy and comfort. Any Apple mouse is not acceptable as a gaming mouse.

Turn down video settings so that you'll get a better framerate.

Learn how to mine throw. It's very useful as a rocket.

Recon droids have a surprisingly big radius, use it at the door of a CP to take out a few enemies.

Mine CPs. They'll hate you for it but it's an effective strategy.

Keep on moving. Don't stand still.

Keep on strafing. A strafing target's always harder to hit.

Learn how to effectively use the pistol.

Have fun.

--AG

I just gotta call you out one thing, even if this topic is a little old.

Making your screen resolution bigger does not help gameplay at all. It comes down to preference. Same thing with sensitivity
.:AM:. Quik <3: ag..
.:AM:. Quik <3: his avatar...
.:AM:. Quik <3: is really gay..
.:AM:. Quik <3: lol
Droideka: avatar isn't gay!
Droideka: AG is

.:AM:. Quik <3: don't worry, i like you
.:AM:. Quik <3: that's all that matters
Droideka: NOO
Droideka: i only care about BD
Droideka: that sounded gay

lol, I use a crappy 80's acer mouse

"Were bigger than Jesus!"  -John Lennon

May 14, 2010, 08:10:32 PM #12 Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 08:18:10 PM by Jon415
very important to always keep moving.  Duckroll, run back and forth, and jump (but not too much) to make sure you dont get hit by those sneaky snipers.  When never stop to type while you are fighting (obvious) and when you do make sure you cannot be suddenly ambushed.  You cant move or shoot while typing.  Also when using recon droids make sure you have a more than perfect hiding spot.  If you see your person's health bar being depleted while in recon mode, press "E" to exit the recon droid.  Dont attempt to kill the person attacking your body with the crappy recon droid lazer.  Also dont get a gamepad and use auto-aim.  People (at least on gameranger) hate that.  And like AG said: make sure you have a non apple mouse.  Or if you have one of those ancient apple mouses with a right click and wheel that works good.  Also dont be really annoying in online games :P 
Hope that helps a little

i actually like the apple mouses (not the magic mouse). The mouse right b4 the current one was pretty sufficient and provided several options for the trackball (combat gestures).

"Were bigger than Jesus!"  -John Lennon

The one with the two buttons except the second one is invisible and a tiny ball instead of a wheel?  I hate that mouse. Right click is too far away from left click plus you can't see the two buttons.  I prefer a wheel to a ball because that ball was way too small.  I played swbf2 and halo at my friends house with that mouse and it was horrible.  Better off with a PC mouse or an advanced gaming mouse if you have the money