Nearly entire universe of Star Wars now non-canon

Started by Roxas, April 25, 2014, 08:10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hey guys! I'm still alive...sort of.

Do you remember Darth Bane, how he was the reason why the Sith managed to survive as long as they did? Or maybe Revan's fall into darkness and redemption? Or how about a squad or Republic Commando clones fighting on Kashyyyk, forced to leave a brother behind? How about Luke's new Jedi Order? I could make a near endless list of examples. Well great news everybody! That's all NON-CANON now. That's right, even the legendary Admiral Thrawn himself is no longer a part of the Star Wars Universe.

Lucasfilm has decided to pull a completely  :censored: move and classify everything that isn't part of the movies, the Clone Wars tv show, and the upcoming Rebels show, as non-canon. Why? In a terrible attempt to "unify" the Star Wars universe. What makes this so funny? In episode one, Darth Maul is killed by being cut in half and sent down a power generator. Then, many years later, he returns during the clone wars, somehow managing to cling to life and even getting to another planet in a system parsecs away from the location of his apparent death. Yeah, good job keeping the timeline coherent Lucas, good job.

I only have one reply to this:
Go suck Weequay  :censored:, Lucasfilm.

PS: I don't know if you can tell, but I'm rather biased here.
Offical blog post

Oh come on LucasFilm. If you're going to do this at least get rid of all the stupid canon TCW introduced.

Although I honestly don't care. It's a shame to see them get rid of a lot of great stuff while leaving a lot of bad stuff but oh well. The only SW media I care about is the movies and SWKOTOR. (I only care about the first game in the series, not the squeal or the MMO.) I will continue to love  SWKOTOR regardless of if it is part of canon, it's more than strong enough to stand by itself.

I swear it's about time we get a ton of Star Wars fans and execute Order 66 all up in Disney/Lucas's  :censored:
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

Quote from: Whisper (Vokunvahlok) on April 25, 2014, 08:24:00 PM
I swear it's about time we get a ton of Star Wars fans and execute Order 66 all up in Disney/Lucas's  :censored:

Sign me up.

Well, I for one am completely shocked!

I guess that's Disney for ya. Trying to make everything seem unified, while at the same time dropping everything that ever was apart of Star Wars canon.

Of everything, I still loved The Clone Wars,  Republic Commandos, Death Troopers, all of it. To see over 40 years worth of authorized books and comics published by LucasFilm all go down the drain, it's rather saddening.

It appears everyone who hated Disney was right. Disney was going to screw the  :censored: out of LuasFilm, and milk every single nickel out of 'em for as long as possible.

Quote from: Gold Man on April 25, 2014, 09:24:42 PM
It appears everyone who hated Disney was right. Disney was going to screw the  :censored: out of LuasFilm, and milk every single nickel out of 'em for as long as possible.
How is this "milking every single nickel out of 'em" exactly? Sure it sucks for all you hardcore fans but ultimately all that content wasn't made by the original creator in the first place, they have every right to throw it out the window in favour of their new movies and content.

Quote from: SleepKiller on April 25, 2014, 08:15:49 PM
Oh come on LucasFilm. If you're going to do this at least get rid of all the stupid canon TCW introduced.

Although I honestly don't care. It's a shame to see them get rid of a lot of great stuff while leaving a lot of bad stuff but oh well. The only SW media I care about is the movies and SWKOTOR. (I only care about the first game in the series, not the squeal or the MMO.) I will continue to love  SWKOTOR regardless of if it is part of canon, it's more than strong enough to stand by itself.
Let's all hear it for SWKoTOR!  And not the MMO.

The Clone Wars was... well... keep Thrawn, get rid of Clone Wars.  I hope they keep writing "non-canon" books.  I loved most of the series that were produced.
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

Thrawn was even in empire at war forces of corruption but hold on erryone I got someptn to say.....George Lucas himself did some of the novels dirty too and the older movies like Rtj changing the ending with jar jar binks and with Hayden Christensen here's the thing erryone. You don't have to deal with thier reality of things. They didnt care about the already established reality so they are tryna change it but we don't have to listen to what they say we can still have it fit somewhere in the reality we have and disregard what they say....it'll just be a typo in the films when they put the date In it.

I foresee a format much like how they've treated the Marvel universe.
Discarding the canon and rewriting it for the purpose of releasing synchronised media...
By that I mean how the relentless release of the Avengers films etc are mirrored by the story arcs in the TV series 'Agents of Shield' and the newer comics.
I reckon something like this approach will happen, but even more so (Lucas Arts had intended to do something similar with their many unfinished projects before they got demolished).

I think it was always going to happen so that the new films wouldn't have too many background details to worry about but it does annoy me that 30+ years of books and comics probably won't be continued. The books won't be made any worse by this of course but it does mean that the stories seem to matter less now.

Luckily KOTOR is in the past so they can't touch that. :)
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

April 26, 2014, 08:20:57 AM #10 Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 11:10:51 AM by {TCE}Call-of-Duty
Well I ain't gonna say much else but... I  FUDGIN' TOLD YOU SO, but in all likelihood, non-canon is just a label, it's not like any of these things just disappeared and we're never created, I mean we all knew Disney was gonna screw over Star Wars. This and Emperor Mickey ( [spoiler][/spoiler] ) is their way of doing it
"I would explain it to you but your head might explode."

:o
[Rant]
:td: I am genuinely ticked off by this. I expected some leeway for the sequels, but EVERYTHING?!?! What the Freak, Disney?!?! I have honestly spent more time reading/playing EU stuff then I have watching the movies AND the TV series COMBINED!!! If this is how they're gunna be i'm not gunna give a crap about the sequels! Your gunna lose A  LOT of fans, Disnyfilm! Do you have ANY idea how much time and MONEY people put into creating the EU? or how much time it took for people to piece it all together? All that for NOTHING!!! I'll stay a fan of star wars, but i'll no longer accept official canon. [/Rant]

R.I.P Star Wars Expanded Universe.

but why.. When people are already wary of disney messing things up, why would they prove everyone right? Just plain stupid.
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

April 26, 2014, 11:45:50 AM #14 Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 11:48:37 AM by tirpider
2 things:

Jaxxon

Skippy the Jedi Droid

(Still better than the young Anakin force ghost at the end of Jedi.)