[solved]Cinema 4D

Started by Snake, March 02, 2013, 05:05:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
March 02, 2013, 05:05:17 PM Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 03:27:58 AM by tirpider
Is there a way to export models from Cinema 4D for use in Star Wars Battlefront 1?  I know I can export to the OBJ format.  I understand that there are limits to how much geometry you can have in any given model.  Thanks for your help!

edit by tirpider: tagged title
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

March 02, 2013, 06:18:31 PM #1 Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 08:05:18 PM by tirpider
the pipelines i know about are :

XSI -> ZETools -> msh

VRML97 -> The Battlefront Model Viewer -> msh

I imagine if you can export to a VRML97 file (wrl) from Cinema 4D then the viewer can save it as a msh.
Some exporters do vrml differently.  I know Milkshape exports wrl files the viewer can read. But the Viewer route loses all nulls and bones (no animated models).

And of course the XSI route. I am sure there are all sorts of importers for it.

-edit (I always forget if it is VRML2 or VRML97.. both are upgraded specs, but the viewer only accepts one of them.)

-edit (again... )

I forgot the method I actually have used... (It's just milkshape at the front end.)

Import into Milkshape3D -> VRML97 -> The Battlefront Model Viewer -> msh

and it is VRML97, not VRML2.

MS3D can import many formats.

And SeƱor Casaroja has a super groovy model conversion tool (Noesis) that does a lot of conversions. 
The forum discussion for it on xentax is here.
Noesis focuses on game file formats, but can export FBX, which Mete has worked hard to get Milshape to support.  (FBX doesn't lose file info like a lot of formats do.) 
I get the best preformance from Noesis via batch files.  You really need to read all it's documentation and dig around it's interface to get the hang of it.

Yeah I think we all need an XSI tutorial on how to get OBJ converted to MSH that practically anyone with common sense can understand.
I've been trying to do so because I can export OBJ (with a plugin of course) from Sketchup, nothing serious, just props..