[solved]How does -lodbias work? (it doesn't)

Started by tirpider, November 10, 2012, 02:00:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
November 10, 2012, 02:00:10 AM Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 04:35:19 AM by tirpider
In misc_documentation.doc for the BF2 modtools, there is a list of valid entries for msh .option files.

For lodbias it says:
Quote-lodbias <float>
Set a bias on the distance at which this model will LOD.  Larger numbers will cause the model to remain detailed at larger distances.  Default is 1.0 (no bias).

Does anyone know what the range for this might be?
I've tried 20.0,  30.0, 1000.0 with no apparent effect.

Also, this is on a playable unit, so does anyone know if this works on animated models, or is it only for static ones?

Here is my .option:
-lodbias 1000.0 -nocollision -keepmaterial override_texture override_texture2

It could be a command for consoles or just SWBFII if no effect was visible when testing. As a side note that seem related SWBF measurements seem to be dealt with in metres (Take that Imperial System!).

What is your LOD setting in game? You could try setting that to the lowest then placing a model in ZE with the command at 1000 for instance and another without. See if any difference really does take place.

November 10, 2012, 03:47:11 AM #2 Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 04:33:45 AM by tirpider
My in-game setting is always maxed when I test.

I see what you are saying, and I'll try it.
Put 2 models in the test map at roughly 1000 from the start spawn, one with it set at default (1.0) and 1 with it set at 1000 and see who is or isn't there during the test.
(or how close I have to get to them to make them appear.)

It may be a static or SWBF II setting.  None of the shipped assets of either game use it (according to grep), so it might even be a depriciated thing from when they were building the mungers.

-edit
Tested on a prop (the  coffin from RV.)

I made a copy of it's msh and odf.
I blanked it's .option and only had the lodbias, with different settings for both.

With the in-game LOD set to max, no difference at any of the distances. It was always there.

Same with LOD at min. After climbing through the THX-1138-ish whiteout to get near the models, they were both there.

I'm going to drop it and assume it's a SWBF II specific setting.
But it sure would have been nice to discover it would work on animated units.

Thanks for the test suggestion, SleepKiller.