Question: mac skinning

Started by Kit Fisto, June 12, 2012, 06:21:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
June 13, 2012, 06:49:56 AM #15 Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 07:16:57 AM by kitfisto15678
I'm gonna attach it and please don't run to the bathroom and throw up your guts, I've never done this before and I don't know what all the little things go to on the body right now and its pretty messy. So here it is my rough draft of my 212 imperial scout trooper! for a line of the 212 empire legion! Please take screenshots of front and back. :tu:

EDIT: here is my 212th stormtrooper. Same as above take pic of front and back! ;)

Here's a guide I made for self-reference ages ago, it's probably got something wrongly labelled since it was indeed made ages ago.
The words are at the angle each piece is facing. Black areas are the joints underneath the armour.

But it gives you the general idea, the Clone has the same layout apart from the pads.

You tend to work out where everything is as you go along.

Thank You! This will help out a lot!
Did you take a look at my first 2 skins?

June 13, 2012, 09:26:10 AM #18 Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 09:28:16 AM by Unit 33
You didn't turn off RLE compression, meaning they don't work (I had to re-save them and turn it off to view them). The option to turn it off should be somewhere in the "Save As" options or something.

Here they are.

Now, bear in mind that skins tend to look better in-game with lighting etc. 

They're not a disaster for a first go. You need to be more exact with your lines and add some variation to your colours,
because at the moment they are texture-less block colours. But the more you mess around on Gimp you'll probably learn these things yourself.

That's the only thing that I can advise: Learn through experience and look at online examples of skins, to see how other skinners do stuff. Even use the "Clone tool" to use bits of other peoples skins if you like, as long as you list them in your credits.

Thanks for the advice. What do you mean about texture-less block colors though. ??? This was leading up to ( I hope ) an OC 212th Empire skin. That is why it is only one color...
It is hard to make the lines exact unless there is a tool in Gimp I don't know about? Thanks for putting up the pics. Could I rely on you to do that for my other ones I post? ;) Thanks again!

Quote from: kitfisto15678 on June 13, 2012, 09:52:14 AM
Thanks for the advice. What do you mean about texture-less block colors though. ??? This was leading up to ( I hope ) an OC 212th Empire skin. That is why it is only one color...
It is hard to make the lines exact unless there is a tool in Gimp I don't know about? Thanks for putting up the pics. Could I rely on you to do that for my other ones I post? ;) Thanks again!
I don't know, I don't use gimp I use Photoshop.
Look for online tutorials.

By textureless I mean this:
Paint on armour isn't flawless, there's imperfections like scratches and stuff. And it's not the same orange all over; some areas are darker others are lighter, it just adds a bit more realism so it doesn't stand out as much.
But really. Ignore me, develop your own style.

June 13, 2012, 10:11:03 AM #21 Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 10:13:54 AM by kitfisto15678
Quote from: Unit 33 on June 13, 2012, 10:06:34 AM
But really. Ignore me, develop your own style.

:ohmy: Thats the last thing I would do!! Well I'll add white marks for more realistic-ness. I was wondering if I have to keep anything in my assets folder that isn't .tga?

June 13, 2012, 10:44:52 AM #22 Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 11:25:40 PM by kitfisto15678
Could you use the "msh Viewer" on these so I can see if it looks better with markings? Thanks.

GO TO THIS TOPIC: http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=4716.msg45433;topicseen#new