Request: Kama on Han Solo model.

Started by Unit 33, May 07, 2012, 10:27:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
October 08, 2012, 06:17:24 PM #15 Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 09:15:19 PM by tirpider
Old topic necro.. sorry, but this just became my number one project while I get back up to speed.

I have the skirt sorta isolated from the snowtrooper (one wierd triangle, but that will get fixed in the magic welding part.)

The skirt is indeed mapped to leg. Specificly the bone_pelvis, bone_r_thigh, bone_r_calf, bone_l_thigh, and bone_l_calf. It was 2 seperat modl chunks, that I merged, but it still has 2 segm's. I shortened the envl to the relevant bones, so someone that is comfortable hacking in body parts could easily use it (I'll put it up somewhere when I get the shadow for it isolated.)

In the pic below, you can see the top of the skirt doesn't quite meet the bottom of Han's superfly vest. I can fix that by hand. should only be 6 or so verts.

The hard part is going to be sleeves. I haven't browsed around for any, all I really need is someone's arms. (with the hands would be easier, but they arent a requrement.)

My theory is that properly sleeved arms could be patched on, and the top of the skirt brought up. He already has a cool collar.

Before continuing with this path, I also have lined up Vader's skirt from bf1 and bf2, just to see if they look better. So there are options.

The best way is to climb into an editor and craft a trench, then map that to the skeleton.
More options.

Anyway, the pic...

-edit (second pic)
I yanked Vader's skirt off so fast, his chest plate came with it....
The wierd colors are an oddity with the material attributes.. the munger hates it as well, calling it bad 'Energy'.. thats a nothing fix. And of course, the chest piece would have to go, but I think the Vader skirt hangs better. (I think this is from BF2 Vader, BF1 is next)

-edit (third pic)
Last, Vader's skirt from BF1.
It "poof's" out more. Not as straight as the BF2 Vader skirt.
Gives it more of a Neo-ish look, I think.
The catch with this one is that it is transpearant on the Unit select screen (but fine in game.)

Now.. before I get hung up on cleaning these up, I'm going to find a doner for the sleeves (perhaps a whole replacement torso... depends on what I find.)
(I'll put this much time in it because making a trench from scratch would take me forever, and I might not even be able to complete it, as msh hacky-slash is all I know)

It's fine we don't care about necros if it's relevant/necessary.

OH AH! This model is getting along very nicely!

Sleeves...  would the all_inf_luke  or all_inf_engineer ones work?

October 09, 2012, 12:15:28 AM #17 Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 01:27:05 AM by tirpider
Heh, I stayed away so long, all the topics I made projects around are in the boneyard :P

I havent hit the bf2 models yet, but so far, Luke and Dooku are the only ones that have a cuff-like end of thier sleeve.

Everyone else has bare arms, or the sleeve is tucked into a gauntlet or glove.
Well.. the Jedi, but those are flared out like a pair of hippie trousers.

I have reservations, about both.
Lukes seem thin but that could be scaled (had to scale Vader's skirts, appearantly he is 15 feet tall.)
And Dooku has the edge of his cape collar interfering with the shoulder. (If it requires hand removal, I'll find another doner.)

The only test is to cut 'em up and try them out.
They may both work, which could lead to interesting variants, but I'll try to stay on target with just one.

I havent tried Sereja's pockets yet, but they look like they will be quite useful. They will have to wait till the detail phase.

-edit(pic1)
Scanning BF2 guys returned the same candidates plus 2... both sketchy.

1 was the imp officer, but that probably wont happen because he is in an "A" pose instead of a "T" pose. No problem for a modeler, but may as well be for a different game for me. I'd have to rotate the arms, and while I made my peace with never seeing quaternions as eulers, they still give me fits.

The other is ep3 Obi Wan.
He is certainly no Han Solo, but for another project, there wouldn't be much to finish on him.
I pulled all the extra cloth and collision chunks out and slapped a skirt on him.
I don't think he minds it one bit.
Seriously, though, I think it might be plausable to skin a trench on him. Like an open, belted trench of some sort.

-edit(afterthought)
In fact, I am seeing Uncle Owen written all over this guy.
but back to Solo I go...

Actually I think that Obi-Wan looks pretty darn good to me.
And his face is easier to edit than Hans. Well if there really isn't much to do for that particular model I certainly would like to throw some skins at it.

Groovy.
I'll finish the seam and shoot it to you.

The simpler the edits, the better I like it. It seems that as more edits are added, more comprimises and bugs show up.

After this one is done, I'll have a look at some of the other "skirtless" bf2 models. The ones with narrow hips like Tat Luke and Ki Adi Mundi.

I wish I has a better full skirt solution than the Tusken robe so I could patch Leia and Amidalla.

Quote from: tirpider on October 09, 2012, 02:24:22 PM
The ones with narrow hips like Tat Luke and Ki Adi Mundi.
Hehe, they have such a great figure.

Alright, I went with Obi, on this one.
(Sent you the link for your skinning pleasure)

Solo with a Kama made to look like a trench has some special upper torso problems that don't have a ready made solution.
He is back on pause, and I'll move on to some of the other tasks.

If anyone runs into a trenchcoat model that is ok for us to use (no stolen models), let me know.
I like the idea behind this one and even without a lot of reskinning, it would fill a Solo shaped void on Endor.
I can toy with formats a bit if it isnt a msh. (I can't touch the daz 3d stuff. License and a crazy format prevent it.)