Is this ok to do or not (involves SWBF1+2 for ps2 and xbox)

Started by jdee-barc, October 16, 2011, 05:08:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
October 18, 2011, 04:51:22 PM #30 Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 05:02:35 PM by Phobos Developer
Quote from: jdee-barc on October 18, 2011, 04:50:08 PM
ok ok ok. guys, this thread was originally about comparing models, not this crap about tutorial videos.

It's illegal to do that. and youtube isn't gonna take action against it. For the sake of modding communites of all games, do not do it.

Video of someone playing swbf1 on ps2, includes copyrighted sounds and visuals. Just like the tutorial video. Is this illegal? By your logic yes. I see no wrong in uploaded it. It includes more of the actual 'video' segments than the tutorial even does.

Also if it's illegal sleepkiller, and you are telling me to do it, then why did you spend "hours and hours" yourself trying?
Quote from: SleepKiller on October 18, 2011, 04:16:11 PM
Whattttt? I searched for hours on the internet trying to find a program that could open those files and you go and do it in an hour!?
You have no right to tell me not to do it if you tried so yourself.

Quote from: Phobos Developer on October 18, 2011, 04:45:27 PM
Youtube has automated scanning process implemented. If any copyrighted material is in the video it will automatically be censored. Recording the sound is not highly illegal. It is not wrong to do so either. It is for promotional purposes, so nobody from LucasArts is going to get bent up just because I'm uploading tutorial videos they made for the game. People do those things all the time, and it's not illegal.

It's people like YOU sleepkiller, who ruin it for everyone in the community, by attacking people like me who go to the effort of making more material/content available for modders and players alike. ANYONE can take a video camera and record videos from the ps2 game, or gameplay itself, and upload to youtube. Many people have, there are hundreds of such videos on youtube, yet I don't see you complaining about them. You are targeting me and insulting all the work I do to provide more content to the community and I find it very immature.

You really should stop being so hateful and arrogant, and appreciate the fact very few modders are active and willing enough to provide more for the game. You are trying to kill it with your paranoid attitude. It's people like you who remove all motivation from lucasarts to make swbf3.

The security measures you mentioned are to make the game run smoother because it can't recognize AVI format. And I'm not trying to edit the video in any way, so that also nullifies your theory about it being illegal to post the video.
Sure be like that if you want. I'm not going to stop you. But when game publishers see someone breaching the EULA the find a way in their next game to stop it from happening again. And as for security measures I mean they lock down all the game data not just the sound the whole bunch to stop people from being able to tamper with it.

BTW, I'm not trying to start a flame war here. but your attitude certainly rings the bell for one to start.

Anyway jdee are you having any success with teh model?

October 18, 2011, 04:57:14 PM #32 Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 04:59:58 PM by Phobos Developer
Quote from: SleepKiller on October 18, 2011, 04:54:59 PM
Sure be like that if you want. I'm not going to stop you. But when game publishers see someone breaching the EULA the find a way in their next game to stop it from happening again. And as for security measures I mean they lock down all the game data not just the sound the whole bunch to stop people from being able to tamper with it.

BTW, I'm not trying to start a flame war here. but your attitude certainly rings the bell for one to start.

Anyway jdee are you having any success with teh model?
I could take a video camera and record the video with that, or I could convert the mvs to mp4. What do you think is gonna be seen as breaching EULA? I don't think either one would. And since it's for promotional purposes of the game, it would also not breach EULA. LucasArts would be happy to see promotional videos for old games they made. If not, they would have pulled all those videos from MattsGameplay by now. I think the flaming is you telling me anything I want to do is "illegal" and not to do it, yet you say you have "tried and failed" at these things. Sounds less of a concern of EULA than a concern of you being the one to discover it.

Perhaps I will make a thread for the ps2 tutorial video once I get the sound added. This thread is meant to discuss the ps2 model meshes, which is related to the ps2 LVL topic. So I will wait for Led's approval/disapproval to post the link.

Ah, now this subject is for the time being, irrelevant. i went on gametaost to ask how i would go about this. They say its alright to do, but the method i plan to use is not gonna work

Quote from: Teancum on Gametoast on October 18, 2011, 04:57:14 PM
Yeah, no 3D rippers work on PS2/Xbox emulators. The 3D is processed in the emulator then output to the screen as 2D, so doing a 3D capture will give you a flat image. Only Dolphin actually uses DirectX to post-process the 3D, that's why it works (on some games).

and dolphin emulator is a gamecube/wii emulator only
Current Projects:
Battlefront One and a Half Era Mod, v2.0. Making great progress (SWBF)

I enjoy the enthusiasm, but j-dee is right, let's get back onto his topic please.

I am not a lawyer, but I prefer to be safe rather than sorry.  We can look into the PS2 lvl file issue though, then make a decision.  tirpider is a PS2 player, maybe he can give us some insight.

thanks.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Shame to hear that Barc, that DX ripper won't work with emulators. There might be another way though, no need to give up so soon.

Quote from: Buckler on October 18, 2011, 05:02:58 PM
I enjoy the enthusiasm, but j-dee is right, let's get back onto his topic please.

I am not a lawyer, but I prefer to be safe rather than sorry.  We can look into the PS2 lvl file issue though, then make a decision.  tirpider is a PS2 player, maybe he can give us some insight.

thanks.
Hey I'm PS2 player to. (Sorry I just had to point it out.)

Hold on jdee I've got a theory to get you your model, it may or may not work. Imp pistol right?

yep. on the bf2 disc
Current Projects:
Battlefront One and a Half Era Mod, v2.0. Making great progress (SWBF)

I do play on the PS2 quite a bit. (love my old games)

I do remember about 5 years or so back, trying to get MAME running on it and ran into the usual disc swap / mod chip troubles. (I don't do/use either so it was basicly a road block.)
During that time I did prowl around some discs and was able to discover/rip/copy some sounds and images, nothing fancy.

I'll pop BF1 in and see what I can find real quick. But I am certain that the console models will be of a lower quality if they are diferent at all, and even at that, you would still have the same issues with pulling the models out of the lvl files and decoding (un munging) them. (hex editor and scripting language)

Might be cheaper (time wise) to learn to use xsi.

-------edit--------

Yeah... that was my first look inside a lvl file, and it looks like some kind of library file.. all the file names and strings in one place and the rest is mangled code.
Unless a person would want to follow up on the lvl extract.exe that's already out, I don't see much comming out of it.

regarding the dx model ripper. they are right. and even on an emulator that uses hardware 3d rendering, you would still have to do the modeler software stuff I don't understand to it.
(uv - skin - light - weight -reticulate it's splines and what not) basicly everything but draw the geometry.

on a side note, the ps2 lvl files are suspiciously smaller than the pc version. I hadn't noticed before, but perhaps all the factions draw upon a common pool of models to reduce the size?

I tried substituting the ps2 imp.lvl for mine, and then the bes2, then the mission, then the common, one at a time. Every time it crashed while loading the map, no error logs in bfront.log
So it's probably coded too differently and uses some kind of memory pool that PC won't recognize. Only use they have atm is for texture extracting, unless we find a way to extract msh.

A couple years ago I saw download link for swbf1 ps2 modding tools on filefront, but I have not been able to find it for months. I wonder what happened to it?

Looking at the diferences between the PS2 and PC version
ps2 has an elf instead of an exe
ps2 lvl files are tiny compared to PC fles.
there is a TEST folder containing TEST.lvl, and TESTH.lvl on the PS2 disc. Not in my PC BF1 folder.

Speculation:
If we could extract the files from the lvl, they would be munged, but still useable to a degree.
Could just lower quality graphic and model assest acount for the diff in side lvl file size? what else could it be?
imp.lvl 
PS2  4,774,568 bytes
PC  68,195,284 bytes

re bf2 tools and filefront. I've noticed that you have to refresh or go back to the page periodicaly. It tells you it can't find it, then you go back and it's there. (sometimes)
http://www.gamefront.com/files/4794395/swbattlefrontiimodtools.exe (worked just now)
When I took an intrest in this I got everything I could find and piled it onto a work drive. The file hoarding was spurred by watching the id1 folder on public ftp's shrink and disappear altogether, so I thought I'd better do it now than end up in a "where is this asset" thread with my hand out later.
Turns out I was already to late for a lot of the early BF mod stuff.

ah, yes, a lot of good stuff has been lost on filefront too.  I have been encouraging people to upload what they can here--I have "unlimited" disk space on the host.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Quote from: Buckler on October 18, 2011, 06:16:02 PM
ah, yes, a lot of good stuff has been lost on filefront too.  I have been encouraging people to upload what they can here--I have "unlimited" disk space on the host.
I love how you put quotes around "unlimited"  :rofl: . I intend to be upload a new tool soon jst cause of that laugh you gave me.  :hehe: