Steam crashing?

Started by Soap Mactavish, May 12, 2010, 02:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
ok, so i jsut downloaded steam and it is amazing, a much better UI than i experienced on both xfire and earlier versions of steam. One problem, i can play Portal. Once i dl the game and try to open it it will freeze up and crash on the loading screen :(

any thoughts?

"Were bigger than Jesus!"  -John Lennon

Is it the valve loading screen? the one with a bald dude with a red valve on the back of his head? I've had this happen before with tf2. Try hitting enter instead of clicking, or wait until the screen loads on it's own.
.:AM:. Quik <3: ag..
.:AM:. Quik <3: his avatar...
.:AM:. Quik <3: is really gay..
.:AM:. Quik <3: lol
Droideka: avatar isn't gay!
Droideka: AG is

.:AM:. Quik <3: don't worry, i like you
.:AM:. Quik <3: that's all that matters
Droideka: NOO
Droideka: i only care about BD
Droideka: that sounded gay

yea its the bald dude screen. ill just redownload later. gotta love the free redownloads

Yeah Mac Steam appears to be very buggy for people right now. That's just too bad. :( Good news is that Valve constantly updates and improves Steam so they'll patch it up real soon.

#TYBG

steam just released a patch and now it works beautifully

been working ok for me all day after I tried restarting portal once

Portal seems to be locked at 30 frames which is very disappointing, however that could be normal but it's very unlikely of Valve.

Steam was REALLY buggy when it was available for download, specifically when downloading games. However sometime a few hours ago they've managed to patch up all the bugs they forgot to take care of. Like what I said before, there's serious framerate issues with Portal that I wouldn't get on windows, however this is still an excellent port.

#TYBG

Quote from: ag on May 12, 2010, 10:35:13 PM
Portal seems to be locked at 30 frames which is very disappointing, however that could be normal but it's very unlikely of Valve.

Steam was REALLY buggy when it was available for download, specifically when downloading games. However sometime a few hours ago they've managed to patch up all the bugs they forgot to take care of. Like what I said before, there's serious framerate issues with Portal that I wouldn't get on windows, however this is still an excellent port.

Yup. I hate it, it makes it seem like the game is lagging lol. No smooth gameplay

The downloads were lagging so bad for me. I would go from 1 mb/s to 17kb/s...and vice versa
.:AM:. Quik <3: ag..
.:AM:. Quik <3: his avatar...
.:AM:. Quik <3: is really gay..
.:AM:. Quik <3: lol
Droideka: avatar isn't gay!
Droideka: AG is

.:AM:. Quik <3: don't worry, i like you
.:AM:. Quik <3: that's all that matters
Droideka: NOO
Droideka: i only care about BD
Droideka: that sounded gay

it think that is mainly due to the huge flow of new gamers at one time. im sure it will clear out soon. I was getting a 3Mbps download speed today when i was downloading portal.