Near Done with Kashyyyk Assualt Map

Started by wookieejedi, November 27, 2009, 06:18:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
I am almost complete with a massive map of a beachhead and forest battle of Kashyyyk, as of now there are almost 720 bots on the field at a time, all scripted, with around 36 vehicles and of course around a 2.5 ratio to attackers to defenders. Right now though I am looking for ideas to make this map better, I put custom sides for the Rep. and All. with Ep3 Camo Troopers, Wookiees, and a Wookiee Jedi. Right now there are 5 bunkers with large gun turrets on the beachhead on the ground level, and a large fight in the forest behind, any other ideas would be awesome, as I really would love to make this map better. Thanks.

Hi wookiejedi

Cool! I'll definitley try this out, it sounds awesome!

Maybe post some screenshots, and we can help you out more.

-Breakdown

I'm sure we can suggest improvements as soon as we receive it !
I look forward to this map with a perverse anticipation !
Good luck on your later maps...  :tu:

and i will play a mod map with anyone especially this one.

November 28, 2009, 08:46:26 AM #4 Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 08:48:21 AM by wookieejedi
Almost done, just have to change 6 more weapon values. Here is the site for some screenies for ideas on what to add or change, the beta should be up later today.

http://www.filefront.com/15015595/Screenshots.zip

Sorry, I couldn't get them to upload to this post.

November 28, 2009, 10:48:35 AM #6 Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 10:50:41 AM by wookieejedi
http://www.filefront.com/15016349/kashyyk1.zip Wooooooooooo! Everything is there, readme included, it should work well. Beta still though I suppose. Suggestions would be awesome.

Alright, well I just tried this and here is what I think...(suggestions incoming!)

Before I say anything, I have to say this map has a LOT of potential, it just needs to be worked out

First of all, the bot planning isn't exactly the best, in the forest area, there's lots and lots of bots just sitting around waiting to be tank bait

I noticed that the sand texture is a bit bright, you can fix that by using the*Color* tab in ZE, in the pallette just click on a shade of grey  and brush over a layer on the sand, and it won't be as bright

The 'forest' area should maybe be a bit thicker, adding a few more trees or bushes to the mix will really help out for that Kashyyyk feeling. Also, at the back imperial/CIS CP in the forest, the land kinda just breaks flat and goes in the distance. I reccomend using billboard trees to block it off, more for aesthetics than anything

I dunno if its just me, or are the tanks a bit harder to control? They seem slower, I can barely get up hills with them. The X-wings seem to be a bit jagged control, I dunno if you tooled around with that or not

As for the units, I'm sure you know, the Wookies "slide" instead of walking. This is probably because you set the speed/acceleration too high for the animations. The lightsaber deflect and attack are two different colours, bring up the ODFs and change the line that calls for the texture so it matches

The anti-aircraft turrets have no texture, go into the bespin assets and put them in your MSH folder. If you don't know which textures they are, open up the turrets MSH in Notepad, and press ctrl+f and and search in ".tga" minus the quotations and it should show you the textures the model requires

You can also find a knife model on GT somewhere, I know I have the assets deep inside my BFBuilder folders..it will look much better than a lightsaber hilt in my opinion

Now, I must say I do like the "invasion" feel of the map, the way the beach is set up with those...those...jax type things? (I dunno what they are called) really adds to the feel. Those little forts you made out of trees and bunkers are pretty cool too, but the bots that spawn in there are pretty much bait for tanks.

Overall as I said, this map has good potential, it's just pretty buggy at the moment

Hope you consider these suggestions! If you need any help, PM and I will answer tothe best of my ability