Space: Coruscant

Started by ggctuk, November 17, 2009, 10:45:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Just so long as the AI units can get into fighters and fly out into outter space and survive for at least a while ill be fine.  I once played a GCW space map tyhat had rather good programming.  Although most of the bots bundl;ed up into corners, if you shot at them they would fan out and hunt you down.  In space, (playing as the imperials) the y-wing, b-wing, and x-wing pilots were rather skilled at strafing the outside critical systems and shooting me down with the y-wing turret.  If there was some way to port ai pathing from one map to another, would it be possible to avoid all of this work taht you speak of?
(I may sound like a complete idiot to some of you because i am not a modder, im just trying to think of something to help with the work)

Well, I considered that too, but the problem is, there's no source files available for Space Maps, besides the BF2 Template, which has no pathing or barriers. None of the BF2 space maps have released source maps.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)
--Endor: Imperial Base

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1

I mean like if napseeker permits, using his pathing for your map, of you are arranging the capitol ships and such the same way.  If you are planning to arrange the capitol ships like from the original bf2 mission, then i am guessing that napseekers ai programming wil be completely useless, unless its not and it-
Ok im gonna stop writing this right now because im confusing myself with stuff that i dont know.

November 22, 2009, 02:37:37 AM #18 Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 03:18:02 AM by keenmike
i am supporting you guys. revised to passionate statements.

Quote from: Jon415 on November 21, 2009, 05:34:56 PM
I mean like if napseeker permits, using his pathing for your map, of you are arranging the capitol ships and such the same way.  If you are planning to arrange the capitol ships like from the original bf2 mission, then i am guessing that napseekers ai programming wil be completely useless, unless its not and it-
Ok im gonna stop writing this right now because im confusing myself with stuff that i dont know.

I believe Napseeker had to do the same as I did - porting the Battlefront II Space Map template. So, the pathing should work.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:

Quote from: ggctuk on November 20, 2009, 01:10:13 PM
Well, some BF1 dome properties are used, such as the racing Jedi Fighters, Gunships and Droid Fighters. They seem to show up fine. Cap Ships still need tweaking (as you can still fly through them).

Right, I don't expect any probs with bf1 domes, but what I was asking is if it's the BF2 ones you were able to get into the map to load. I believe the ones I had tried (but which did not load) were the eps3 jedi starfighter and the arc-170 for example.

As for the natives, I could make a workaround, with Team 3 in CW and Team 4 in GCW.

Yes I know, but again what I'm saying is that I'm curious about what you had pointed out in regards to this other map where the author seemingly made two locals teams and whether you think this could've been just trickery done with a single locals team.  If not, then it would definitely be worth contacting the author to ask him to write a small tutorial because it'd be amazing to have 2 locals team on a map.

I'm also attempting to figure out how to get rid of the ground which still appears.

Yes, this gave me problems at first... I did solve it back in '07 so my memory is a bit rusty here. I believe there's a single command you put into either the mission LUA or the world file which just says "don't show the ground".  Check out the Bespin Platforms map's assets since I do remember that I found the answer while looking through its files.

Then I have the pathing to sort out. I have the same problem with the pathing at the moment (units sometimes abandon the paths I've set), but I've set some barriers up. I'm wondering if pathing is necessary in space.

I don't use it (which may be why some fighters fly around erratically at times). I examined some of the other shipped maps to see what they did e.g. Hoth, Bespin Platforms, and was surprised that I did not seem to find any flyer-specific pathing. Barriers are used to keep flyers from colliding into things like tall buildings and avoid narrow spaces, and the rest seems to be left up to the flyers to just seek out things to attack and blow up (destructible CPs being the highest priority).  I think it'd be difficult anyway to put flyer planning in: you'd end up having routes that start at a hangar and then go towards the enemy cruiser, presumably circling it... and then what?  Keep it circling?  It's actually better to let the AI do its own thing. 

I honestly haven't added all of the BF2 domes yet, although I know the Droid Gunship dome works.

As to the map I was referring to, it was "Republic Commando: Mission1" by gogo12. I asked gogo12 how it was done, but I never heard back. I do believe it is actually two native teams set up, because the natives that side with the droids shoot at Rep troopers and the natives that side with the Republic shoot at the CIS. The natives also fight each other too.

I'll look in the bespin assets although I don't recall there being any command in the mission LUA, but it has been a while so I might be wrong on that point.
In Progress:

On Hold:

Quote from: ggctuk on November 22, 2009, 12:44:29 PM
I honestly haven't added all of the BF2 domes yet, although I know the Droid Gunship dome works.

As to the map I was referring to, it was "Republic Commando: Mission1" by gogo12. I asked gogo12 how it was done, but I never heard back. I do believe it is actually two native teams set up, because the natives that side with the droids shoot at Rep troopers and the natives that side with the Republic shoot at the CIS. The natives also fight each other too.

Where's the download for this map?  I'll take a look at it and see if I can figure out what he did...

Quote from: ggctuk on November 22, 2009, 12:44:29 PM
I'll look in the bespin assets although I don't recall there being any command in the mission LUA, but it has been a while so I might be wrong on that point.

Found it... it's a command that goes into the .sky file:

// Napseeker: This is from Bespin world1 - indicates that we don't want to see any terrain
TerrainEnable(0);

That command should be all you need. I didn't see anything else in the LUA that was necessary.

Thanks for that command. I didn't look hard enough through the files (I never thought it would be in the sky file).

Here's Mission 1 - Republic Commando:

http://starwarsbattlefront.filefront.com/file/Mission1_Republic_Commando;101665

gogo12 blocked the main action off from the natives battling, but you can get to them by jumping on a fallen pillar near the tunnel at the end of the arena, then leaping onto the stands. It's tricky to do but it can get you there.
In Progress:

On Hold:

Mmm looks like a nice map.  I just wish he gave the commando a DC-17 with different firing sounds.

Quote from: ggctuk on November 24, 2009, 01:01:57 AM
Thanks for that command. I didn't look hard enough through the files (I never thought it would be in the sky file).

Yeah, when I was first trying to disable the terrain it didn't occur to me that the sky file would have anything useful either.

I'll try this map tonight. It looks interesting just based on the user responses on the website.