How to properly rig a model

Started by i2Bros, November 05, 2016, 03:30:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hi guys! Quick question: How do I deal with characters models with 45 angle degrees arms? How do I fit the skeleton to them? When I try to move the bones and then envelope the skin simply translate the same distance far from the bones. How can I do?

p.s. I have a TCW Padme model, put if I can't rig it properly I'll have to use a modified stock Leia body plus a TCW Padme head, and that would look awful.
"Come on, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?"
- Lieutenant Rasczak speaking to the Roughnecks troopers

November 05, 2016, 11:35:51 AM #1 Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 11:38:04 AM by tirpider
minilogoguy18 made an excellent set of videos that covers setting up a custom model that doesn't quit fit the game skeleton using the Softimage Mod Tool 7.5. It's on JKHub and it's for Jedi Knight, but the technique and concept are the same.

[JKHub.org] Softimage|XSI JO/JA skeleton (bones+tags) and compiling guide

In the first video, he begins selecting a leg that does not line up with the skeleton.
Then at ~8:28, he goes into rotate mode and selects pick object reference which specifies a point for the selection to rotate around. Then he simply rotates the leg into place.

The same technique should work for getting a model from an A-pose (arms at an angle) to a T-pose (arms straight out).

wow cool thnx a lot!  :tu:
"Come on, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?"
- Lieutenant Rasczak speaking to the Roughnecks troopers