SOPA 2014

Started by Ultimo, March 16, 2014, 10:13:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Recenty uncovered this: http://www.infoworld.com/t/intellectual-property/sopa-backers-seek-restrict-online-rights-again-time-outside-the-law-238424?page=0,0
The news was actually posted two days ago.
The last SOPA attempt seemed pointless, but I'm not sure if this one we should worry about a little.
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

Not this again................
Not worried. Any company that wants to stay hogh and dry wouldnt support sopa or pipa. Too much risk in my opinion.

Oh SOPA, this somehow reminds me of that RvB PSA where Simmons talks about the NSA stuff... Yea though they are probably gonna give up again in a week, month tops.
"I would explain it to you but your head might explode."

March 16, 2014, 07:06:48 PM #3 Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 06:16:52 PM by Ltin
yes! Thats how we beat it! Infringe on anything ever copyrighted! Ever! Post non-public domain books all over youtube (and others, but mostly youtube)
together we can bring down th ebs once and for all. /joke
and then celebrate with some Ltin Corp Lime Key Cake.

Warning half a wall of text and some opinions incoming.

Quote from: Ltin on March 16, 2014, 07:06:48 PM
yes! Thats how we beat it! Infringe on anything ever copyrighted! Ever! Post non-public domain books all over youtube (and others, but mostly youtube)
together we can bring down th ebs once and for all.
and then celebrate with some Ltin Corp Lime Key Cake.
Doing so would just prove to them why piracy needs to be combated. The problem is there is no good way to combat it, hence why we get laws like DMCA and SOPA.

The problem at the end of the day doesn't lie with the current laws. They already outlaw piracy. The problem lies with all of us. We insist on defying the law and downloading whatever we please. There are several main reasons why people pirate stuff. (Be it games, movies, music or TV series.)

The first one is that people have no other way to get this content reasonably. This is the reason I've pirated TV shows in the past. I have no other way currently of watching them because I live in NZ. Now here is the thing. I am poor but I make a point now days of making sure anything I pirate I end up buying as soon as I can. If I had a reasonable way to buy a TV series before it had finished airing and get new episodes as they came out I would take it. The issue here is the companies not taking reasonable courses of action to make sure people can easily get and watch their content legally. And even though I make sure I end up buying the what I pirate sometimes they won't even let me do that because they don't release it in NZ and don't have a unified global online store.

The second one is that people don't have the money to pay for the content. While you could never truly eliminate this problem you could mitigate it with the right measures. Most people when given a chance to do the right thing will. Now let's stop here and look at YouTube for a second. Lots of people watch videos on it and lots of people make decent money off those videos through the ads. Now let's see here what if the shows were put up on YouTube or another easy to use site with ads that weren't over the top or overly intrusive. (If you're someone who uses ad-block on legitimate sites you need to stop and think about the fact that those ads are the only thing giving a lot of people with a meal at the end of the day.) Anyway since after this has happened there would be little purpose for anyone to actually buy the content right? Well no, if the company that did this was smart they would also offer a service that let people from anywhere in the world buy either digital or physical copies of the content. These copies would be in the highest quality possible and buying them would further support the creators.

Thirdly there are just low life people who basically have the opinion of "Screw you; I don't need to buy it or put up with ads to watch it. So I won't." These people thankfully are the minority and if you eliminated most of the two other groups piracy would cease to be an issue worth paying attention to.

Quote from: SleepKiller on March 16, 2014, 07:33:01 PM
[spoiler]
The problem at the end of the day doesn't lie with the current laws. They already outlaw piracy. The problem lies with all of us. We insist on defying the law and downloading whatever we please. There are several main reasons why people pirate stuff. (Be it games, movies, music or TV series.)

The first one is that people have no other way to get this content reasonably. This is the reason I've pirated TV shows in the past. I have no other way currently of watching them because I live in NZ. Now here is the thing. I am poor but I make a point now days of making sure anything I pirate I end up buying as soon as I can. If I had a reasonable way to buy a TV series before it had finished airing and get new episodes as they came out I would take it. The issue here is the companies not taking reasonable courses of action to make sure people can easily get and watch their content legally. And even though I make sure I end up buying the what I pirate sometimes they won't even let me do that because they don't release it in NZ and don't have a unified global online store.

The second one is that people don't have the money to pay for the content. While you could never truly eliminate this problem you could mitigate it with the right measures. Most people when given a chance to do the right thing will. Now let's stop here and look at YouTube for a second. Lots of people watch videos on it and lots of people make decent money off those videos through the ads. Now let's see here what if the shows were put up on YouTube or another easy to use site with ads that weren't over the top or overly intrusive. (If you're someone who uses ad-block on legitimate sites you need to stop and think about the fact that those ads are the only thing giving a lot of people with a meal at the end of the day.) Anyway since after this has happened there would be little purpose for anyone to actually buy the content right? Well no, if the company that did this was smart they would also offer a service that let people from anywhere in the world buy either digital or physical copies of the content. These copies would be in the highest quality possible and buying them would further support the creators.

Thirdly there are just low life people who basically have the opinion of "Screw you; I don't need to buy it or put up with ads to watch it. So I won't." These people thankfully are the minority and if you eliminated most of the two other groups piracy would cease to be an issue worth paying attention to.
[/spoiler]

A million times this.

The first reason is also why I watch a lot of shows online. Because I can't find where to purchase it, it isn't aired in my country, and if it is, I don't have that specific channel it airs on.

The second is more so my way with iOS games. For instance, in Respawnables the pricing for their weapons is ridiculous (who's gonna pay $30 for a gun that deals the same damage as another gun worth 50000 in-game currency?) I'l admit I don't have an in-app purchase crack (though there's many times I wish I had it), I instead install hacked files into my games, so I get some of the content, without having to pay the insane pricing. (I state some because those hacks don't get me all of the weapons.)

I myself use AdBlock (actually use both AdBlock and AdBlock Pro), but that's more so for those video websites with 20 pop-up ads (which at that point is literally overkill). Then again, it also helps with the censorship that advertisements lack (like those "Wartune" ads I see everywhere on my iPad).

As far as YouTube goes though, I usually watch those vids on my iPad (with no AbBlocker whatsoever), so the advertisements getting to me one way or another. :P

I know we shouldn't worry too much about SOPA 2014 anyway, but here's this.
Got a lot of signatures already, I signed it too.
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/stop-sopa-2014/q0Vkk0Zr
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

Quote from: Whisper in the Wind on March 16, 2014, 10:10:30 PM
I know we shouldn't worry too much about SOPA 2014 anyway, but here's this.
Got a lot of signatures already, I signed it too.
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/stop-sopa-2014/q0Vkk0Zr
It sounds like his current attempt is outside the laws juristiction. The government cant do anything about it.

Quote from: Ltin on March 17, 2014, 11:22:47 AM
It sounds like his current attempt is outside the laws juristiction. The government cant do anything about it.
As long as a petition is won, the government does have the ability to come in and shutdown any attempts made by SOPA.
This time around, what SOPA is really doing is not outside the law, SOPA is just not going to be government supported.
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

Quote from: Whisper in the Wind on March 17, 2014, 01:18:09 PM
As long as a petition is won, the government does have the ability to come in and shutdown any attempts made by SOPA.
This time around, what SOPA is really doing is not outside the law, SOPA is just not going to be government supported.
From what i understand the government cant actually do anyhing about it. And agreement isnt illegal. And neither is a lawsuit.