Keyboard Technique

Started by ~{PLA}~ Seth, September 07, 2009, 10:00:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
This is a pretty random thing, but I was just wondering about keyboard technique. Like what fingers on what buttons, etc. Mine is middle finger on W for forward and S for back (I'll switch as needed) When I need to strafe, I'll use my third finger to press A to go left and first go right. (I'll have those one all the time) I'll also keep my thumb close to the space bar, should I need to jump or roll. BTW, I think using the letters instead of arrows to move around is a better idea because you're closer to your "Switch weapon" keys, i.e. Rocket launcher to pistol, grenade to mine, etc. And then I'll keep my right hand on the mouse all the time. So, does this sound like your technique? A bad one? A good one? Just give me your thoughts.

generally (as a long time gamer) what your talking about is "wasd" for movement.

My set up for SWBF is
Movement: WASD
Jump/Roll: Spacebar
Change Weapon: Scrollwheel
Zoom: Z
Primary Weapon fire: Mouse left click
Secondary weapon fire: Mouse right click
Standings (score): Tab
Chat: T
Teamchat: Y
And all the commands on the standard key settings- as you can see i didn't change it much from the stock controls.

However if you were meaning for a more board spectrum- Generally most FPS games use the wasd for movement as stock, and mouse for shooting and such so basically they try to be all close to the same, unless they have to be different.
QuoteSow the wind and reap the whirlwind
Through the rain and through the shine
Only something with a meaning can stand the test of time

For SWBF I use:

WASD to move.
Spacebar to jump.
F and G to change weapons.
Left mouse click for primary.
Option for secondary. (I guess that's where I might be different, I hit it with my pinky).

Then pretty much standard stuff for the rest.

I think he means more like the layout of your hand on the keyboard rather than the key setup, I use the same general one with most FPS, all 3 middle fingers covering WASD and QE (Leaning) and the middle finger can also reach weapon keys generally 1-4 or I use the mouse wheel for that. C is crouch, index finger on left hand, Control/Ctrl is prone used by teh pinkeh, and space is jump used by the thumb. It's quite an average layout that a lot of people use, due to the set layouts of keyboards.

I keep my index and ring finger on D and A respectively, with my middle switching between W and S, so standard WSAD for me
Scroll up for primary weap change
Scroll down for secondary weapon change
Thumb on space for jump
pinkey on zoom and tab when needed
and of course mouse for trigger

Whenever I need to execute an XFire command I usually use pinkey-thumb since I do stuff like Shift-P on the opposite shift than I usually use

Viruses are like the New York Lottery. "Hey, you never know"

I feel that the technique that's important. It's simply what you are most comfortable using.

For WASD, I do the same thing as Pi (which I think a majority of people do)

I use the index finger for F and G, and R. I find it stupid to use the scroll to change weapons because I have to move my middle finger away just to reach it. That's where the grenade is...

For Tab I use ring finger.
For Z, X, C, and Space I use my thumb.
I never use my pinky because it's a weak finger and I have to move away from WASD if I use it on anything other than Caps, Shift, or Tab.
T and Y I use my middle finger.

I am left handed so I prefer strafing than moving the mouse to aim (I use the mouse right handed because it's annoying to change my controls for every game I play).

#TYBG

what's R do?

also, on my scroll wheel it's wide enough that I just slide my finger to the side to spin it

Viruses are like the New York Lottery. "Hey, you never know"

The R key Reloads. The same for SWBF2, cod series, halo series(e also works), half life series, cryengine series, etc..
Basically almost every game is R for reload.

#TYBG

I don't really use the mouse wheel for weapon change. I use F and G for primary and secondary weapons change respectively. I use the mouse wheel for zooming. (If you press down on it, you'll zoom.)

Im all alone :(
I use the arrow keys
1=jump
2=change primary
3=use secondary
4=change view
5=change secondary
6=reload
0=enter/exit
.=zoom
control=crouch/prone

You, Rex, are probably the only person here that uses the arrow keys.
Wow.

#TYBG

That's surprising rex. Do you have the left handed mouse setup, where your mouse is on the left side of you?

nope my mouse is on the right

Must be uncomfortable.

I use WASD similar to most of those described above. I usually place my pinky on Shift out of experience with CoD4 and BFII where you can sprint.

(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿"" (-_-*)

HOw would it be uncomfartable? Only hard part is making desk space :P