Should i buy a PS3?

Started by khy, December 13, 2010, 07:45:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Well ive been contemplating this for years now, and Uncharted 3 is now pushing me towards yes.
I have always been interested in Killzone 2, i love playing it at my friends house.
Same with Uncharted 2, and other random games ive played at friends or relatives houses, that have sort of made me interested in PS3.
The graphics are deff stunning and bluray player is a plus.
Im gonna make a mini-list of games for PS3 i would/do want.
-Uncharted 2
-Uncharted 3
-Killzone 2
-Killzone 3
-Gran Turismo 5
-Assassins Creed Brotherhood
-Other games like (Blur, etc) that i would rather play on a ps3 (dunno why)

So yeah, should i?

Only 2 franchises may not be a good reason to get a PS3 economic wise. If you are highly interested in the blu-ray playing for watching HD movies and generally watch media, it should be a good buy. If you NEED to play Killzone 2 and Uncharted 2, it's up to you.

The PS3 controller isn't easy to get accustomed to if you feel comfortable with the xbox controller (and vise-versa, which is my situation). Also multi-platform games usually end up slightly better graphics wise on the xbox because a good portion of games are developed for the xbox and then ported. It's still just as fun but if it's on the xbox and you have XBL Gold, there's a good chance you won't be interested in playing much on a PS3.

If you (your parents) have money to burn, feel free to invest in a PS3. Uncharted 2 and Killzone 2 are absolutely beautiful games and have strong SP and MP offerings.

Gran Turismo 5 is an absolutely beautiful game as I've been a devote fan to the franchise. I must warn you however that Gran Turismo is no Need for Speed. You must learn how to drive before you can compete in its Simulation Mode. This is a realism game that relies on authenticity and immersion for its enjoyment. In Gran Turismo 4, it took me three hours to achieve all of my licenses. It was sure worth it as it practically taught me how to play the game. You can't participate in all of the races if you don't get your licenses. If you want jump in another urine easy "60 MPH sharp turn" game, Gran Turismo 5 is not the game for you. Otherwise, I think it would be lovely for you to try it out.

So it's ultimately up to you how badly you want to play the PS3 exclusives and if you'll use its other features.

#TYBG

I played GT5 in a gamestop and it was (literally) jaw dropping.
Even my dad was amazed by how good it looked, and how many cars were in it.

Thats the thing, i dont know how bad , and ive been considering it for a long time now.
there are other games i want for ps3, ones ive thought of but cant think of atm

The PS3 isn't a bad console. Maybe 3 years ago I would probably advise you to not bother with it but at the moment it stands on its own ground.

I'd say get it as long as you can find content out of your interest that you can't get out of your current xbox.

Also I emphasize the fact that the license tests are really important. You'll actually end up thanking yourself once you start applying your skills to the high-end cars.

#TYBG

not to insult anyone but i usally find that the gamers on ps3 are really bad. Often times when pc players can make a shot and even xbox players, i find that ps3 users have more trouble. Thats just me tho.

ps3 does have killzone which i absolutely love however, that is why i am getting one this christmas :)

"Were bigger than Jesus!"  -John Lennon

Maybe you have the natural talent for the PS3. :P

I'll agree that people tend to suck on Battlefield a little bit.

#TYBG

A lot of the games just aren't up to scratch compared to Microsoft-endorsed titles,
but if you're driven by graphics, go ahead and get the thing, even if it does look like a toaster.

As long as you get better than 480p lol

Yes, even I got tired of the  480p Wii despite my hardcore Nintendo fixation...
The shear lack of games that were even built with the Wii's limitations
in mind just annoyed me... 3rd Parties tended to under-value it's abilities
or try too hard... or just use the motion controls poorly.

I got a ps3 because I play Bad Company 2 and got sick of the pc version not letting you queue with your friends.  You have to join on them, and do the OK SWITCH TEAMS NOW NO WAIT I'LL SWITCH, and hope it works out. 

On ps3, You make a squad, and literally never play against your friends at any time- which is exactly what I wanted.

The downside- if you're not used to consoles, it is hard.  I'm aiming at the ground half the time still. 

The upside- I agree with the previous poster who said ps3 gamers are not that good.  They really aren't for the most part.  They use vehicles incorrectly, don't use c4 on MCOMs (even before the patch), don't c4 suicide atv's, uav's helis etc, and generally seem to have a harder time killing people (probably because console controllers are inferior to mouse/kb). 

Overall, I'd rather be able to play with my friends on demand with a controller, than get more headshots using a kb/mouse on my PC.

Gaming PC... $1200 ish or so built yourself.  PS3... $300.  PC needs upgrades after 3 years, PS3 lifespan is until they make a ps4 which will be a great while.

ps3 to me is a great investment.

December 15, 2010, 01:11:02 PM #10 Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 01:28:19 PM by Macbook Snow
If you get a good enough gpu it will last longer

And even still counter strike 1 and source are the top 2 most played games on steam even though they were made in 2004 (or something) you don't need a new gpu to get 100 fps on that. They have a huge dev community to go with it to

1for some, people like the option to play against their friends.

2. you learn to aim

3 agree, unless you have a mouse you wont have that really quick lock and shoot. controllers do have a harder time finding their target but to combat that consoles have auto aim (also helps with quick-scoping)

personally i still like pc because we have the luxury of dedicated servers which offer things like no host migration crap, mods, and in some cases better ping.

Going from xbox to ps3 however (khyler is mainly an xbox user) isn't as good of an investment as PC to ps3.

Going from kb+m to controller is an even harder adjustment compared to xbox to ps3 controller.

#TYBG

this may sound wierd but the transfer from PC to xbox is pretty seamless. Also, (also sounds wierd) but it seems like PC prepared me for console. For instance, the margin for error in PC, as far as aiming goes, is pretty slim. However, for xbox and ps3 you can get away with a little more and your reflexes dont have to be as fast. So playing on PC is a little faster in close combat while on xbox you have more time to aim compared to pc.

December 15, 2010, 03:33:59 PM #13 Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 04:00:26 PM by bosh.0
gpu- i have no problem buying any piece of hardware i want, but some people don't have the same level of income and cannot do so.  for many, spending $400 on a video card is not really a viable option.

1- some people also like the option of playing WITH their friends also.  it takes RS and i 20 or more minutes to find a game and end up on the same team on pc bc2 which is unacceptable.
2- yeah i'm getting better every day.  it's not as precise which sucks but it does let you miss a little and still get a hit
3- i like the idea of hosted servers, but the downside to hosted servers is you are at the mercy of power hungry admins, and you don't experience that on console.

i have all current gaming systems, and for many ps3 is the best choice depending on what you are looking for.  there are pluses and minuses to everything, it just depends what you want out of it.

Quote from: Macbook Snow on December 15, 2010, 01:11:02 PM
If you get a good enough gpu it will last longer

And even still counter strike 1 and source are the top 2 most played games on steam even though they were made in 2004 (or something) you don't need a new gpu to get 100 fps on that. They have a huge dev community to go with it to

1for some, people like the option to play against their friends.

2. you learn to aim

3 agree, unless you have a mouse you wont have that really quick lock and shoot. controllers do have a harder time finding their target but to combat that consoles have auto aim (also helps with quick-scoping)

personally i still like pc because we have the luxury of dedicated servers which offer things like no host migration crap, mods, and in some cases better ping.

1 you can easily switch teams on bc2 PC

2 that extra hit box deters the gameplay elements in my opinion. cuts too much slack for console players who should be learning better aim

3 if a server admin is power hungry it is likely he wont be hosting a successful server for very long