Why did Lucas Arts release different editions of SWBF?

Started by {PLA} Roland, May 26, 2011, 08:19:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hi all

I currently have a Asia - Pacific edition of SWBF. Can anyone tell me how this is different to the North American edition. Also, why does the 1.3 patch apparently only work for the North American edition and what would happen if I bought a copy of the North American edition and tried to run it in Oz. What does the 1.3 patch do anyway? Is it compatible with 1.2 users (same servers etc & does it just fix a few bugs) ? .... Sigh....... I have so many questions and google does not want to provide the answers. Any observations would be appreciated. Sincerely.

Hi Roland,

In the original edition 1.0 of SWBF, the game hosts were categorized by global region.  You want a good experience, play in your region kind of thing.  Since internet speeds in general have become much better over the years it's not so much an issue.  Besides, the number of players in the individual regions has dwindled so much.  There were also language specializations.

1.3 beta fixes some bugs--you don't get motion sick playing the deka, for example.  Also, the dreaded end of game hang was fixed.  But 1.3 beta was never an official release by lucas arts.  It seems it was done by someone with the source code, but perhaps not the permission to make an official release (my opinion).
1.3 beta also has some rudimenatry server tools built into the chat feature--advance to the next map, boot a player, without having to enter the game server.

1.2 players can not play 1.3 without the 1.3 executable.  The last time I looked,there were no 1.3 servers or players.

Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

What about Freecam option in 1.3?
Some guys here were speaking about it.

freecam is also available in 1.2 with the unlock that battlebelk made

Yea but are there differences between 1.2 version & 1.3 one ?

Quote from: Syrion on May 27, 2011, 10:12:20 AM
Yea but are there differences between 1.2 version & 1.3 one ?

Note that if you use the BestofPC pack, 1.3 beta will not work.

Below is the readme as available on filefront:

http://starwarsbattlefront.filefront.com/file/Battlefront_13_Patch_Beta;40940

Description:
This is a US only full client patch and you should have the 1.2 patch installed for it to work properly. The final 1.3 patch should be released in a few weeks but in the mean time, install this patch and give it a try. Post any bugs you encounter and I will let the developer know.

This is basically what is fixed,

CHANGES FROM 1.2
-------------------------------------------------------
Multiplayer

* Unlocked frame rate
* Better tolerance of latency spikes and frame rate spikes
* Fixed an end of game hang
* Better smoothing of predicted positions and orientations
* Allow more maps specified from dedicated server command line
* Better Droideka prediction
* Added remote admin support for those hosting dedicated servers
* Tighter clock synchronization under normal conditions
* Fixed joining servers behind most firewalls
* Allow more mod maps (was 50, now 512)

Global

* Fixed CIS Pilot shooting backwards

Happy testing

Can test it cause i have the french version but then, what about the differences of the freecam mode between 1.2 & 1.3 ?

The main reason I don't play 1.3 is that even with a good video card (5770), it will have black spiky glitches with the unlocked frame rate. Frame rate is buggy when unlocked in multi player.

Quote from: Syrion on May 27, 2011, 11:57:12 AM
Can test it cause i have the french version but then, what about the differences of the freecam mode between 1.2 & 1.3 ?

Oh, I don't know.  If I can get the time, I will check.