New computer. New games what should I get.

Started by maxthemace, August 13, 2010, 01:40:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

So I just ordered a new 17 inch macbook pro with the faster proccessor. Proccessing power is no longer a limit to what games I am able to play so I'm going to buy a some new ones for college I'm trying to limit myself to 100$ and I'm asking for your help

The Orange Box ($30)
Civilization IV: Complete ($20)
Left 4 Dead 2 (when it comes out for mac. Is it out already?) ($30)
Starcraft II ($50)
SWBF2 (For old times sake via crossover or bootcamp) ($10)
WoW Cataclysm and two months of game time ($80)
CoD 4 ($40)
Blizzard games are addictive, dont get them if you're gonna be in college.
CoD4 and L4d2

Quote from: The Super Swede on August 13, 2010, 08:26:45 PM
Blizzard games are addictive, dont get them if you're gonna be in college.
CoD4 and L4d2

That's a very good point WoW addiction has been a problem for me before. luckily atm there is a lul between expansions and so its not as much of a draw for me. But yea when Cata comes out it could be a real problem.

Quote from: maxthemace on August 13, 2010, 08:26:12 PM
Well believe it or not this was not a help me decide what computer to get thread it was a help me decide what games to get thread. And if the computer is faster it isn't by much. mine has more more RAM as well as a faster hard drive. But even so the reason I am getting a mac is because I like them better and find them easier to use, also they look nicer. So really, quit trying to convince me to get a PC it's not going to happen lol. I don't like Windows operating system.

one last thing b4 you rage out

JKs PC is faster because it has a Quad core processor, 2 times faster to be exact. ok off that subject now.

mac gaming is very selective. anything that is valve made is probably available for mac tho

"Were bigger than Jesus!"  -John Lennon

L4D2 over crossover runs at a good rate, plenty well to play the game and much better then anything else crossover runs. its nearly 100%.

Problems being that you don't have the overlay so no ingame chat, and if you click on a message someone sends you while your playing it can and almost always does crash the game.
QuoteSow the wind and reap the whirlwind
Through the rain and through the shine
Only something with a meaning can stand the test of time

Quote from: Hardcore on August 13, 2010, 09:01:46 PM
L4D2 over crossover runs at a good rate, plenty well to play the game and much better then anything else crossover runs. its nearly 100%.

Problems being that you don't have the overlay so no ingame chat, and if you click on a message someone sends you while your playing it can and almost always does crash the game.

hmmm no chat would be annoying, but I think I could put up with it until they port L4D2 to mac.
What if I ran it in Windows through chat would work right? But would it still run well is the question I guess.

Quote from: maxthemace on August 14, 2010, 07:41:06 AM
hmmm no chat would be annoying, but I think I could put up with it until they port L4D2 to mac.
What if I ran it in Windows through chat would work right? But would it still run well is the question I guess.

in my experience windows runs games better than mac...of course i only tested a few (tf2, hl2, and DoD). i consistantly get better framerates on windows than mac. the only issue you should be worried with is you will have to partition your hard drive to get windows (windows you can play on) and maybe a slight security issue, i havent encountered one but others have reported it i believe. on bootcamp you will get steam features like you would on a regular PC (in game chat, browser, and achievements).

"Were bigger than Jesus!"  -John Lennon

Quote from: maxthemace on August 14, 2010, 07:41:06 AM
Yes, it should run fine on either side. All Source games are very good performance-wise. Chat would work on Windows, and if you have an iPhone or iPod touch, you can use Xblaze on the side for chatting.

(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿"" (-_-*)

Quote from: Jedikiller on August 14, 2010, 07:49:59 AM
Yes, it should run fine on either side. All Source games are very good performance-wise. Chat would work on Windows, and if you have an iPhone or iPod touch, you can use Xblaze on the side for chatting.

Source games in OpenGL have particular horrible performance on older Macs. Your newer Mac should be capable of running them with little hassle.

#TYBG

I voted for Cataclysm/two months of game time  :tu: