New computer. New games what should I get.

Started by maxthemace, August 13, 2010, 01:40:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

So I just ordered a new 17 inch macbook pro with the faster proccessor. Proccessing power is no longer a limit to what games I am able to play so I'm going to buy a some new ones for college I'm trying to limit myself to 100$ and I'm asking for your help

The Orange Box ($30)
Civilization IV: Complete ($20)
Left 4 Dead 2 (when it comes out for mac. Is it out already?) ($30)
Starcraft II ($50)
SWBF2 (For old times sake via crossover or bootcamp) ($10)
WoW Cataclysm and two months of game time ($80)
CoD 4 ($40)
I know I'm forgetting things please remind me, I haven't been in the mac video game market in a long time so tell me what I've missed.

Left 4 Dead 2 definitely. We're a fun group to play with, and one more is always nice. They haven't released it for Mac yet, so you need Crossover to run it now- but if you buy it once you buy it for all platforms with Steam, so... Orange Box is a good one too.

Battlefronts 1 and 2 are virtually dead and I never personally cared for the Civ series. CoD4 would be a good one, though.

(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿"" (-_-*)

I say, narrow you passion. Limit youself to something fun that can quickly produce what you like most. College has to be more important.

Left 4 dead 2 all the way! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Were bigger than Jesus!"  -John Lennon

Orange box is great. I just bought mine about a week ago.

Once I got past the downloading, I was fine. I love HL2 and all its addons so no regrets, and all the other games make it a steal.

Thats what I call bang for your buck.  8)
photobucket limit image removed

:slap: Hurry and cancel your order! Go and get an HP laptop instead! Hurry! No seriously you should get an HP instead. plus you will be able to get Badcompany2 and all that other PC goodness that PCs have (hence the reason it's called PC goodness and not Mac goodness)

Quote from: Nikoli on August 13, 2010, 04:36:46 PM
:slap: Hurry and cancel your order! Go and get an HP laptop instead! Hurry! No seriously you should get an HP instead. plus you will be able to get Badcompany2 and all that other PC goodness that PCs have (hence the reason it's called PC goodness and not Mac goodness)
Screw HP laptops, they suck. Get one of these instead: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+Laptop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i7+Processor+/+17.3%22+Display+/+6GB+Memory+/+500GB+Hard+Drive+-+Black/9741729.p?id=1218165344675&skuId=9741729

I own it and love it.

As long as it's not Mac lol   My sister got a new HP and it's pretty sweet, the older ones weren't as good but these new ones rock, it has a blue ray disk reader and HD screen and all the hardware stats are higher than my computer's and my computer is nothing to sneeze at.

Quote from: Jedikiller on August 13, 2010, 04:38:53 PM
Screw HP laptops, they suck. Get one of these instead: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+Laptop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i7+Processor+/+17.3%22+Display+/+6GB+Memory+/+500GB+Hard+Drive+-+Black/9741729.p?id=1218165344675&skuId=9741729

I own it and love it.

Wow that's an amazing deal. I might even consider this and give this old mac to my mom.

Right now I'm addicted to Bad Company 2 and America's Army 3 when it comes to shooters. With that said, you might want to cancel that order. The Mac gaming market hasn't improved much besides the release of Steam.

#TYBG

Actually I'm not really getting the computer for gaming I'm getting it for college. And college comes before gaming. But even if I was getting it for gaming I would get a mac, I can't stand PCs.

JK: I look forward to L4D2. Do you know how well it runs in crossover? and I would just be getting SWBF2 for the single player aspect, I never really got to play it that much, I played it like twice at a friends and so a lot of the single player stuff I haven't ever experienced. And that laptop you posted has the same kind of processor as the one I got :D.

Mike: not really sure I understand what your saying, sometimes the things you type make no sense whatsoever. But if I understand you right you are saying that I should to something fun that will turn in to something that I will like more than anything and you are also saying that college is to important for playing video games? To the first thing: video games ARE fun for me and they ARE one of the things I like most in the world. And to the second thing: LOL! have you ever been to a college party lol?

Led Zep and Epifire: Sweet, thanks for your input  :moo:

Nikoli: I hate PCs lol but thanks for the advice anyways lol

ag: I think the fact that steam is out for Macs now is a good enough reason to game on one by itself, plus there are all the Blizzard games. And If I really want to play a PC game there is always crossover.

max, sorry dude. last year i would have said buy a macbook...this year i have nothing but praise for the Windows 7 platform...get a PC. you will find much more college material on windows than mac

also, (get left 4 dead 2)

Quote from: maxthemace on August 13, 2010, 07:20:38 PM
JK: I look forward to L4D2. Do you know how well it runs in crossover? and I would just be getting SWBF2 for the single player aspect, I never really got to play it that much, I played it like twice at a friends and so a lot of the single player stuff I haven't ever experienced. And that laptop you posted has the same kind of processor as the one I got :D.

HC would know best, so you should ask him about that. Single-player SWBFII is nothing to write home about, but it's ultimately up to you if you want to get it. And the i7 in the Mac is a dual-core- the one in the laptop I posted is quad-core.

Led Zep: I think as far as college material goes they are about even. the main reason I'm going mac over PC is ease of use. in my experience PCs are a pain in the butt and its not like I haven't given them a chance, I even bought one at a point ...and it got a trojan of some kind and started smoking. Anyway, lets just say I'm set with my decision to get a macbook pro and stay with it :P because I am :D.

JK: Ok, ill ask him if he doesn't post on here pretty soon. The processor I'm getting is 2.66 ghz though.

Quote from: maxthemace on August 13, 2010, 08:03:26 PM
Led Zep: I think as far as college material goes they are about even. the main reason I'm going mac over PC is ease of use. in my experience PCs are a pain in the butt and its not like I haven't given them a chance, I even bought one at a point ...and it got a trojan of some kind and started smoking. Anyway, lets just say I'm set with my decision to get a macbook pro and stay with it :P because I am :D.

JK: Ok, ill ask him if he doesn't post on here pretty soon. The processor I'm getting is 2.66 ghz though.

me: i bet you were using vista...

your response to JK:

Quad core processors have 4 cores for processing rather than the 2 you find in a Dual Core (hence the name)

you will find most processes run much faster on the PC JK posted rather than your mac

Well believe it or not this was not a help me decide what computer to get thread it was a help me decide what games to get thread. And if the computer is faster it isn't by much. mine has more more RAM as well as a faster hard drive. But even so the reason I am getting a mac is because I like them better and find them easier to use, also they look nicer. So really, quit trying to convince me to get a PC it's not going to happen lol. I don't like Windows operating system.