What next generation gaming system will you buy?

Started by Carbon27, July 28, 2013, 11:54:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What next generation gaming system will you buy?

Wii U
0 (0%)
Xbox One
2 (7.1%)
PS4
14 (50%)
None of them
11 (39.3%)
PC
1 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: December 25, 2013, 10:54:34 AM

For those who havnt seen yet: http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamController/
Btw,can some explain what exactly it will be? Its like a Xbox/PS3 or more like a PC in your TV? There will be free games or youll have to pay the same as in PC? The games you have in PC will need to be repaid/redownloaded to play?

Quote from: Disciple on September 27, 2013, 12:43:57 PM
For those who havnt seen yet: http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamController/
Btw,can some explain what exactly it will be? Its like a Xbox/PS3 or more like a PC in your TV? There will be free games or youll have to pay the same as in PC? The games you have in PC will need to be repaid/redownloaded to play?
Conjecture:
It's a console for the purpose of using Steam on your TV. So all purchases go through Steam, so you can play all the F2P games, enjoy the sales or buy whatever exists on Steam.
The titles at the moment are a select amount of titles already available on Steam.
You won't need to re-buy any titles you already own on Steam because... well they're in you're Steam library.
Installation would be required yeah.

Quote from: SleepKiller on September 25, 2013, 05:42:35 PM
PC and Console gamers would like to have a word with you on what is considered a gaming market.
Quote from: Ltinbecoming

Quote from: Ltin on September 25, 2013, 03:47:28 PM
Might want to add ios and android devices to the mix as well. They are becoming a viable gaming market. Candy crush makes over $30 million a day last time I checked.
Maybe Obama should take some lessons from Candy Crush.

IOS  :sick:

Quote from: Ltin on September 25, 2013, 03:47:28 PM
Might want to add ios and android devices to the mix as well. They are becoming a viable gaming market. Candy crush makes over $30 million a day last time I checked.

I like me some puzzle games and card matching stuff but I would hardly consider the android/phone casual games to be Next-Gen.

In the marketing world, where trends and profitability matter, then sure.. wave of the future and I bet a lot of folks in ties are really stoked about some match-the-color-to-win, coulda-been-a-flash-game-on-newgrounds , cash-cow.

If I dropped hundreds of dollars on a system, expecting a high impact gaming experience and was met with a selection of Worms, Breakout, Space Invaders, and 1001 variations on Tetris.... I'd set things on fire.

Even the portability is old-hat. I have Day of the Tentacle running on my old iPaq (no.. it's not an apple toy). A WinCE device from 2002.

The only Next-Gen-ish thing I could see the Android/Phone devices offering to the gaming world is perhaps using one as a controller? .. no.. Nintendo and Sony already did the wireless, flail it around thing. Multiple axis stuff is all over the place...

I know.. they could be used as wireless memory cards... ..oh.. everything is moving to cloud storage....

Well, I tried, but I guess the only thing they can offer is the magical ability to call you buddy to come over and play..... oh... facebook, email, IM.....

Ok.. are Android/Phones actually useful for anything at all?
They do make phone calls, right? That's still kinda relevant.

As an owner of a said Android phone I can assure you they do still make phone calls. Although that ability may have been patched. I hardly use the thing.

Quote from: tirpider on October 02, 2013, 05:37:06 PM
Ok.. are Android/Phones actually useful for anything at all?
They do make phone calls, right? That's still kinda relevant.
Besides having the power of some computers in the palm of your hand na, no good use. ;)

Picture this.

Your phone processor is a horse. Easier than walking but not as good as having a car.

An x86 processor is a fighter jet that can go around the world in under an hour.

Now for some specifications of phone GPU's for lolz.

I did some quick research and found the figure of 78 Gigaflops for the Tegra 4. (That's 78 billion floating point operations a second.) All right so pretty impressive.

The GeForce GTX 660 a card that is now around year old and isn't high end has a little over 2 Terraflops. That is 2 Trillion floating point operations a second. And  to put that into perspective a trillion is a million million.

So all that power and we are still seeing titles like "Popsicle Color Match"?

I know.. programming is hard, but I've never seen a phone actually doing anything impressive other than being a portable computer that's never used like one.

(One could argue that I am just bitter cause I don't have one... One would be correct :P )

October 02, 2013, 07:44:35 PM #55 Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 07:49:41 PM by -RepublicCommando-
I think people want an impressive interface, but don't really want to use it much.
Its like having 4 12gage shotguns under your bed; You hardly (if ever..) use them for what they're meant for (protection), but they give you a sense of security.

I think people wrap themselves in all this power, only to take it for granted later.
edit- I can't honestly say I blame them, for I am hardly different.

edit2- Its funny when numbers get really really Really big, we start coming up with goofy sounding names for them.

Quote from: -RepublicCommando- on October 02, 2013, 07:44:35 PM
edit2- Its funny when numbers get really really Really big, we start coming up with goofy sounding names for them.
These are all very serious measurements. Flop for instance is shorthand for floating point operation. A float is 32-Bits representing a number with a decimal point.

But I think you were talking about giga and tera. They are measurements in the metric system that seldom get used outside of computers. The words themselves are Greek and have a relation in thier meaning to the value they represent in the metric system.

Greek numbers don't get really weird to you get into the kratos. That's the point where the numerals themselves begin seeking revenge against the gods.

Computers can't operate in that range as the ashes from their past short everything out.

Quote from: tirpider on October 02, 2013, 07:10:29 PM
(One could argue that I am just bitter cause I don't have one... One would be correct :P )
Ok everyone! We are combining donations to get Tirpider an iPhone 5s!

Quote from: Kit Fisto on October 03, 2013, 06:59:40 AM
Ok everyone! We are combining donations to get Tirpider an iPhone 5s!
Hah, and no one posts on the topic every again.