What next generation gaming system will you buy?

Started by Carbon27, July 28, 2013, 11:54:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What next generation gaming system will you buy?

Wii U
0 (0%)
Xbox One
2 (7.1%)
PS4
14 (50%)
None of them
11 (39.3%)
PC
1 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: December 25, 2013, 10:54:34 AM

You forgot the best part Tirpider. The OS is optimized for gaming unlike Windows, OS X or the countless other Linux distros. Which means better performance with less powerful hardware, combine that with the fact the hardware is upgradeable you have a potential Xbox/Playstation killer.

The thing Valve needs to get right is the way it gets upgraded. They need to make upgrading it simple and easy. If it is too complex to do, people will get put off. They need to find a way to make it as simple as possible.

Games wise however it sounds like they'll be giving the PS4 and Xbox One a run for their money. From a Valve statement. "Hundreds of great games are already running natively on SteamOS. Watch for announcements in the coming weeks about all the AAA titles coming natively to SteamOS in 2014." (Source.) Hundreds? AAA titles running natively? And because it is Valve any game we already have on Steam that gets ported over we won't have to re-buy.

I'm getting pretty excited about it. This could completely change the console market if Valve do it right.

Quote from: SleepKiller on September 23, 2013, 05:42:41 PM
You forgot the best part Tirpider. The OS is optimized for gaming unlike Windows, OS X or the countless other Linux distros. Which means better performance with less powerful hardware, combine that with the fact the hardware is upgradeable you have a potential Xbox/Playstation killer.

The thing Valve needs to get right is the way it gets upgraded. They need to make upgrading it simple and easy. If it is too complex to do, people will get put off. They need to find a way to make it as simple as possible.

Games wise however it sounds like they'll be giving the PS4 and Xbox One a run for their money. From a Valve statement. "Hundreds of great games are already running natively on SteamOS. Watch for announcements in the coming weeks about all the AAA titles coming natively to SteamOS in 2014." (Source.) Hundreds? AAA titles running natively? And because it is Valve any game we already have on Steam that gets ported over we won't have to re-buy.

I'm getting pretty excited about it. This could completely change the console market if Valve do it right.

It does sound quite amazing, but what about those that have (or prefer) hard copies of games still? Will they allow people to plug in an optical drive and play them? Or will it be entirely Steam driven with no exceptions to hard copy games?

Considering I've never seen a hard copy Linux game in my life, you may be disappointed in that regard. With a bit of know how with Wine you probably could run ye olde' disk based games for it.

If it is successful however I fully expect retailers to start carrying Steam Box games that would work the same way Steam/Origin games work now when brought at retail. Activate code and save time downloading by installing off the disk.

I am loving the contradictions.

When I heard Microsoft talking about "the cloud" it was an instant turn off. I hated everything about it.

But I am completely fine with Steam and giving them money for software I will never physically touch.

I think it's because Steam doesn't have a face. I've never seen or care to see any of their CEO's/office personel/janitors/ect. They are an online store. Buy stuff. Get out. It's simple.

But MS put's their guys out in the public view like cheerleaders and everyone throws rotten food at them.  They try to engage folks enthusiasm and it always backfires.

If Steam sold a game that gave everyone in the world flowers, it would sell instantly.
If MS even announced their intent to do the same, it would be criticized and mocked into the grave.

it seems within months of me buying something a new better thing comes out.. first my phone, then some games, and now my ps3 is old after I got it in like April lol. I might get the ps4 in 2 or 3 years when I'm out of college or just wait for a ps5 whenever that might be. xbox is cool too I just refuse to pay for online. and I've been with the playstation since the first one anyway

Most Likely will get both :O but im going to get the PS4 first.
Proud [Freelancer Consortium] Member! [FC]Leader.Helios

Valves' long awaited "Steam Machines" were just preliminarily announced.

I'll buy one of those.
http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamMachines/

Might want to add ios and android devices to the mix as well. They are becoming a viable gaming market. Candy crush makes over $30 million a day last time I checked.

September 25, 2013, 04:05:36 PM #38 Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 09:22:00 AM by Disciple
Ya but then you cant play GTA,BF4,COD on a cellphone..

Quote from: Ltin on September 25, 2013, 03:47:28 PM
Might want to add ios and android devices to the mix as well. They are becoming a viable gaming market. Candy crush makes over $30 million a day last time I checked.
PC and Console gamers would like to have a word with you on what is considered a gaming market.

Quote from: UNIT 33 on September 25, 2013, 01:52:45 PM

I'll buy one of those.
I'll quite happily throw my non-existent money at one. They even let you use the thing to build a robot!

Okay so let's analyse this. We have a current generation (I'm referring to the 8th generation, not the 7th.) console running an open OS that has been optimized for gaming. Valve aren't holding you back from modifying the console or OS. The hardware in the higher end machines will probably beat out any of the other console for those that want to drop the bucks on it for those prettier graphics.

Now here's what catches my eye. Valve is going in all guns blazing. They are claiming hundreds are already running natively on SteamOS. That quite easily beats out any other 8th generation console's game library, even though they are most likely not new games. Now they've already announced that AAA titles are in development for SteamOS. So when it actually comes out they will most likely be some AAA titles ready to go for the system.

My main concern is that with all the manufacturers that the low end machines won't run the latest titles at an acceptable frame rate. Of course that is more of a case of buyer beware, buy a middle range one if you want it to last seems to be the case.

September 25, 2013, 08:45:21 PM #40 Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 08:46:53 PM by -RepublicCommando-
Quote from: Disciple on September 25, 2013, 04:05:36 PM
Ya but they you cant play GTA,BF4,COD on a cellphone..
I don't know about you, but I wouldn't even bother playing something like that on something as simple as a cellular device.. Why go smaller screen wise? We have ridiculously large high definition TVs, and spectacular consoles and computers with more than capable room on the screen to see your character get blown into bits :P
With my thumbs in the way of my player constantly, I seriously doubt it would be remotely fun.
--
The truth is, Phones are meant for calling, not gaming.
And I imagine the full version of a particular one of those games would take up quite an amount of space on an SD card for a phone as well.

I'm just waiting for the Aspyr SWBFI port to iPad! :D

Quote from: Kit Fisto on September 25, 2013, 09:31:37 PM
I'm just waiting for the Aspyr SWBFI port to iPad! :D

Here, here! Though I hope I have enough GBs cleared for it, KOTOR took up like 5-6GB storage if I remember correctly from the App Store.  :nervous:

Quote from: UNIT 33 on September 25, 2013, 01:52:45 PM

I'll buy one of those.
Take my money, Valve. All of my money.

<insert witty signature here>

Quote from: {Alpha}Gold Man on September 26, 2013, 05:47:57 AM
Here, here! Though I hope I have enough GBs cleared for it, KOTOR took up like 5-6GB storage if I remember correctly from the App Store.  :nervous:
It'll be smaller than KOTOR I think since SWBFI is simply smaller than KOTOR on the computer to begin with.

I really hope they do make a SWBFI iPad port. Just think about it,

KOTOR for iPad at the 10 year anniversary (2013)

SWBFI for iPad at the 10 year anniversary (2014)