Amateur Modding Contest

Started by SleepKiller, January 20, 2013, 04:39:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Agent Z on March 02, 2013, 06:53:46 PM
Yeah, I'm working on a neon skin pack (in GCW, for now) that gives all the units on each team the same MSH, but gives each faction a different colored TGA. It makes it so that you can easily tell what team and what unit everyone is on the battlefield.

(By the way GM, I've actually updated the all.lvl since then. The Wookie skin was bugging me.)

I may just release each lvl as I complete them.

Well, it's only a matter of time until those skins aren't "exclusive" anymore. :P

And sweet, if I'm on X-Fire tomorrow send me a link, I'd be curios how the wookiee skin looks. :D

Well, I'm a little disappointed with the fact that no one was able to finish a mod in time for the deadline. I understand that some of you just simply wouldn't of had the time but others of you simply either forgot or over estimated how quickly they could finish it.

Since their are only two entries I don't really want to bring it down to a poll and I almost didn't want to have a winner entirely. Since they are both very fine mods. So today was the deadline and I played both mods that were entered. Here are my thoughts on both of them.

Jet Wars by Are§
Here you have a mod that turns the GCW era into well Jet Wars era. So when you start a match you are greeted by a completely new set of classes all of which have jet packs. Some units have some fun weaponry at their disposal but everything also feels pretty balanced. Visually it is all colourful, the units are colourful their is even a unit that shoots a rainbow laser. While not really my thing I know their are those out there that do enjoy it.

Overall you are looking at a solid mod gameplay wise and visually it is a each man to his situation(But that can be over looked.). While not without flaws it is a good mod and Are§ did a great job on it.
Kashyyyk: Docks -- Recovery by Dark_Phantom
This one is a mod for a map, which you should be able to work out from the title. Now this one is not like SWBF's normal gameplay at all. You've got two teams. They are both trying kill each other, except one is out number 125-1 luckily for him he has a bunch of super equipment at his disposal. I had good fun playing this, their is a satisfaction to be found blasting through the enemy team while barely getting scratched yourself. Don't be mistaken you can die in this while being the one man army one should take care. Also as a bonus it is raining, the rain just seems right for the map.

Overall you have fun gameplay and good use of skins. As with Jet Wars this is not without flaws.

Now for the hard part picking a mod. Both of them are very good. But I am going to pick Dark_Phantom's. I know I originally said a poll would be held but I was expecting/hoping for more entries. Since their was no poll aeria can choose who should get the Steam game he said he would give to the winner.

Yeah, like I've said before, I really suck at setting deadlines for anything at all...
I either under estimate or over estimate things...

Congrats Phantom! Fate and you both did pretty awesome!
----
I will still release the assets I was working on.

Sorry SK, don't feel that I didn't necessarily want to submit a mod, but I tried both Ares's and Dark_Phantom's mods and I would have needed to work on my entry more to give it a fighting chance. I will still try to release my mod, but I don't seem to get much done when I work on it peice-by-peice. I'll work on it when I get a couple hours to devote to it.

@SleepKiller:
[spoiler]I know this is your competition SK, but I am I little disappointed in the outcome of this competition. I don't see why we can't have a poll. :) [/spoiler]

Quote from: Shazam on March 14, 2013, 10:22:49 AM

@SleepKiller:
[spoiler]I know this is your competition SK, but I am I little disappointed in the outcome of this competition. I don't see why we can't have a poll. :) [/spoiler]

I second the motion

Quote from: Shazam on March 14, 2013, 10:22:49 AM
@SleepKiller:

I think this would be the most fair way to pick a winner... so fourthed?

Quote from: SirPimped on March 14, 2013, 10:41:20 AM
I think this would be the most fair way to pick a winner... so fourthed?
Agreed
Proud [Freelancer Consortium] Member! [FC]Leader.Helios

It was SK's contest and approved by me. 

The decision of the judge is final  :cheers:
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

There was only two entries. I see no reason why we should have the poll.

I had reasons for not doing a poll guys. Mainly due to the fact I actually suspect a poll may not be the fairest option.

And it was a close race, both mods were very good. But I chose Dark Phantom's based off the way he executed the gameplay style he wanted. He did it good and it is a fun way to play SWBF.

Sorry if you guys feel it wasn't fair, I played through both and Dark Phantom's came out on top.

I would respect SK's opinion on the matter since he is a Master Modder. :shrug: