Upgrading Mac graphics

Started by Soap Mactavish, March 26, 2010, 07:36:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
March 26, 2010, 07:36:19 AM Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 10:27:49 AM by Russell
ok, i need an opinion. Is the GPU that comes standard on the latest Macbook Pro 13" enough to handle some of the games that will come out in the immediate future. As of right now i havent gotten one bit of lag when playing call of duty, but i have a feeling i am right on the brink based on the talk here at MPC. For example, i recently downloaded Final Cut Pro, when doing some hefty editing i start to experience lag, ill check my activity monitor and my CPU isnt even close to being maxed out, so i am thinking it is my GPU. If i need to upgrade the graphics, is it possible on a Mac and how would i do it? If it isnt possible i think i will just wait for this summer when the Core i7 Macbook pros come out. They should have better graphics.

"Were bigger than Jesus!"  -John Lennon

The Macbook Pro 13" comes with a Nvidia Geforce 9400. While it is surely capable of running Call of Duty 4, don't expect it to be running the newest PC games on the market at the best settings. Since you only have a Mac, there's barely any games coming out for it so you should be capable of running anything within a few years from now.

My Mac has an ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT. The newest card is the 5970 I believe. As old my GPU is, it's still capable of running any games on the market with the exception of Star Wars The Force Unleashed.

So yeah, don't worry about whether it can run the game, just worry about if it can run it at decent settings.

--AG

#TYBG

well i figure when steam comes out...

Not all Steam games will be available on the Mac. Every single game needs to be manually ported. The only confirmed games are made by Valve themselves, all of them are very low spec that I can run all of them in max settings (although they still look great).

#TYBG

March 26, 2010, 10:31:40 AM #4 Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 06:33:18 PM by Red
yea im not worried about the cod4 settings thing, i have them all on highest experience they go, it is just the high power apps like Final cut pro (above) that is starting to lag on my machine. Now final cut pro obviously isnt a big deal (im not a movie producer). but if i ever happen to need to use a powerful app id like to know i can.

lol dang ag, u are responding in seconds :P

Yeah I'm in math class right now, we're not doing anything we don't know so I'm just sneaking on the computer :PPP

The 9400 isn't the best card you can get so don't expect it to be running like new within a few years, but it's still very well capable of running games.

#TYBG

March 26, 2010, 10:36:27 AM #6 Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 06:33:37 PM by Red
ok, ill suck it up for now till the next line of macbook pros come out.  :cheers:

lolz you get computers in math class?

Who said I'm in the class?

#TYBG

March 26, 2010, 10:40:49 AM #8 Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 06:35:01 PM by Red
eww, you better not be in a bathroom.

just so you know, id still like to know if and how to upgrade the GPU on a mac if it is possible.

[mod]I've had enough with your double-posting. This is your final verbal warning, Russel. The edit button is there for a reason.
-Red[/mod]

March 26, 2010, 07:27:17 PM #9 Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 07:29:10 PM by Russell
k ill just wait for new macbook pros to come out then.

how exactly do you delete a message, cus i saw that double post and i was gonna take it off. But all i see is a modify and quote option. plz help so i dont get a perm ban.