Facebook's new toy.

Started by Carbon27, March 25, 2014, 06:35:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
March 25, 2014, 06:35:19 PM Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 09:49:48 AM by Carbon27
 Facebook has recently purchased Oculus, yes, Facebook. Some of you have no clue what it is, but I would hope most of you do. I believe it is like a computer monitor that is put into glasses. I have sorta followed this new technology, because it looks really cool. Especially for sim racing games, but shooters will be great for it as well. What do you think about Facebook purchasing this?

I think that the owner of the company made a great decision in selling his company, but I don't believe it will be the best thing for the gaming community. I just don't feel like it will be handled as good when Facebook will always be the main focus.

Just thought I would update you on the gaming world!  :cheers:

-And, yes, I do realize that I rarely post now. (For all the people who would rather see me gone yet tollerate me you can do a little dance, for all the people who like me, wait no there are none.  :P)

www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2014/03/25/facebook-acquires-oculus-for-2-billion/6883237/

EDIT: Found a way better article. www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/03/26/5-things-to-know-about-facebooks-oculus-acquisitio.aspx

Ask your friendly WgT member about joining today!

What does facebook want with this. VR farmville?

Looking forward to that FPS version of Candy Crush
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

I had no idea that Facebook acquired Occulus. It's a stupid purchase if you ask me.

I know social media has become a huge thing in the past few years, however I don't think social media and gaming should persay "merge". I know that the two have merged with recent games, however Facebook implementation takes that to a whole new level. I can picture it now, you're playing Battlefield 5 and about to get the game-winning kill, when all the sudden:

"Harry Hardwalk, Sally Sobstory and 3 other people like your status."

A huge Facebook notification pops up infront of you, causing you to die just like that.

I like the concept of merging social media with gaming, but only to an extent. I foresee Facebook going beyond boundaries to make social media even bigger than gaming. I honestly did think of purchasing the Occulus Rift, however now that Facebook's acquired it, that does hinder my choice, as I don't want to have my gaming merged with my Facebook.

Facebook is probably just trying to compete with Google.

The dream is over.

Valve, Song or maybe even MS could have gone places with it....but Facebook? It's just going to become an even more intrusive advertisement tool.

I thoroughly agree with GM.

If they start trying to make it more complex to use facebook, I will stop using it.
I am already sick of them changing the interface every two months, and not being able to click "Friends" or "View All Friends" and actually see them (it just brings me to "All Friends activity" from the past few weeks.

For me they're already on thin ice, if they do use the new technology, they at least should give us the option to use it.

March 26, 2014, 12:40:43 PM #7 Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 02:03:39 PM by Dark_Phantom
DONT CARE NO HAIR

• Do not type in all CAPs as it's considered shouting and rude. Thank you.

This PERFECTLY describes what I'm saying in a nutshell: