Josh's Mod Map Review

Started by Carbon27, June 12, 2013, 01:09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
June 12, 2013, 01:09:32 PM Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 04:36:37 PM by Josh
Here's my mod map review. I doing a more "Quality not quantity" method, since ryan has already made one with many maps reviewed. If you wuld like your map, or anyone else's map reviewed, PM me which one you would like me to review. I will add more parts to this topic like "Josh's top 5", "Best SP maps", "highest quality map", ETC.

NAME       CREATOR       RATING

Jawa Droid Wars       Dark Phantom      7.3
Jawa Droid Wars Review: [spoiler]A good, chaotic map. It has some quality issues though. For instance, droids can use the turrets, and do a barrel roll. (sort of) Also, the Jawa's gun is a little messed up, and a tad bit long. But don't get me wrong, it is fun. I did change my mind from what I write in the review for this map, it's kinda boring, until the mice have surrounded you into the arena. Then it's a fun, survival map. I do like the droid model, looks very nice. Worth the download, but just keep playing the level, even when it's boring, and the map will feel a lot better.[/spoiler]

RHEN VAR BRIDGE       Newguy99       8.7
Rhen Var Bridge review: [spoiler]WOW!!! Very fun, strategy map. Well worth the download. It is a fun battle map, as well as a fun game for shooting. I can only find one thing I dislike about this AWESOME map, the bridge doesn't have bars on the sides of the bridges to keep the AI from rolling off. If you like real sniping, this is a really good map to download. [/spoiler]

KASHYYYK: THE BEGINNING       ---------        7.0
Kashyyk: The Beginning review: [spoiler] This is a very big map. CIS and Clones only. The map had good quality, only a couple of things seemed to not be done right, but nothing that matters much. The clones have some custom skins that I really like, and the CIS SBD was replaced by a regular droid soldier. Ony one issue I saw that really made a difference in that game, a bot got his vehicle stuck, but even that's not a big deal. There are lots of vehicles in the map to choose from. I gave this a 7.0 because the map wasn't that much fun, nothing bad, nothing good. If you like how the map sounded, go ahead and download, if you didn't, maybe you shouldn't download it.[/spoiler]

Duulan: Canyon Village       ----------     7.8
Duulan: Canyon Village Review:  [spoiler]Wow, I must say, this map is AWESOME. Great map for ACTUAL  sniping. The clone vehicle (I do not know what it is called) does have major issues. It is very glitchy, but the main issue is that it can climb the wall and building, lol. The Duulanian sides are very good. The clone sides have been edited a bit. The Jet Trooper doesn't have much fuel, and his weapon arcs, which is way better then the stock one. Even with these negatives, this map has a great feel to it, and is fun to play over and over. The AI has some issues at the end of the game, they stop fighting near the end of the game, and just stand there, and stare at each other. :( In my opinion, you should download this map, NOW! [/spoiler]

One In the Chamber       Snake?     6.5-7.0
One In The Chamber review: [spoiler] This map is just Jabba's Palace with a side mod. It uses the idea of a COD party mode, One In The Camber. This idea may work well for COD, but not for SWBF. Whenever I knife the AI, I get killed because the AI does it at the same time. This mod isn't really bad, but it isn't really that good. Not much to say about this mod. [/spoiler]

Geonosis: Catacombs       ----------     9.5
Geonosis: Catacombs review:[spoiler]This map, to put it simply, is arguably the BEST SWBF1 map EVER! It really is only fun on the clone side though, as you have to fight your way through the caves. I really enjoyed the challenge of it, it takes a lot of luck and skill to beat it. Even if you don't go through the caves, the big battle in the canyon is quite a blast, no pun intended. There isn't a need to really discuss the map, because it's almost perfect, and everyone should download it. The only issue I have with the map is the clone from Republic Commando. It was done horribly, it just looks terrible. It is the only unit that you really stand a chance with too, sadly.[/spoiler]

I want to show you my rating system, 1.0 to 10.0. (example: 4.8, 7.6, 5.3, 9.1)

1.0 for "Where you sober when you modded this? :P"
2.0 for "FAIL!!!!"
3.0 for "Poorly done"
4.0 for " Um..."
5.0 for "Not very good"
6.0 for "Not the worst I have ever seen, yet not the best"
7.0 for "Good job"
8.0 for "NICE!"
9.0 for "AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
10.0 for "You are the king of the modders!!!!!!"

If you disagree with my review, please say so, maybe I need to take a look at that map again.

Kit made some very good reviews that should be looked at.

http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=5845.msg58849#msg58849

http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=5722.msg57023#msg57023

I will also put I link of Ryan's review.

http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=310.msg284#msg284

Ryan did a great job with his review, but what I'm trying to do is show a little more what the map is about. Sorta like a cross between Kit's reviews, and Ryan's.

If anyone did a review on a map, PM me to put a link in this post! :cheers:

ATTENTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!: I'm going to do mod reviews too soon, I plan to do Sereja's side first, or if I have any requests.

Ask your friendly WgT member about joining today!

I dont remember the jawa gun being white.

Maybe a screw up when I downloaded the map?  :confused:

There is a slight error with the gun's texture.. I'll take a look at it.
But it's not all white, thats for sure.

I'm warning you now, doing this type of thing is hard. Although my reviews were a lot more in depth if any one can remember, so you might have better luck.

Good luck anyway! ;)

Heres a pic of the gun:

Quote from: Josh on June 12, 2013, 04:37:32 PM
Heres a pic of the gun:
When you said "pic", you really weren't kidding :P
Yeah, not sure what happened there, but it works fine for me.
Mine has 1 texture that is ambient color (default black?..), but it's only a specific part of the weapon, not the whole thing, and they're different colors..

Now that I can do stuff myself in XSI, I'll re-map it and see if there is any change.
If it works, then perhaps Phantom could re-munge the des.lvl for us?

Well, that's really odd...
When I look at it, it looks mostly fine.  I think one texture may be missing (that's what happens when you cross over quick), but the white gun is not on my screen.
This is the problem with reviewing by look though.  Different computers = different effects.  Some maps will crash upon startup for some computers, others will not.  Some things show up right, others do not.  Some of it even has to do with how all your settings are set (some do not show up in High settings).  Anyway, be careful about reviewing things like AI pathing as it can be a tricky concept until you do it 47,203 times.
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

I still don't understand AI pathing.

But that gun has thousands of polygons, the actually barrel is the big collection of them.
It's not just a transparent textured cylinder, it actually has holes there (which is my fault, I didn't know how to do the efficient way at the time.)
But if it does have too many polygons to render, it would be more than the texture that would disappear.

Ok, sorry that there have been no updates recently, my SWBF disk is refusing to work right now.  :dry: Don't worry, what is happening to me had happened before, just have to wait it out...    :mellow:

good luck in your venture, i like the layout style
Peace is a lie, there is only passion          -Fear leads to anger
Through passion, I gain strength              -Anger leads to hate
Through strength, I gain power                -Hate leads to suffering
Through power, I gain victory
Through victory, my chains are broken
The Force shall free me

Quote from: «ΙΞ¢KØ» on June 23, 2013, 08:07:50 PM
good luck in your venture, i like the layout style
Thank you.

I want to do this, but I would like suggestions/requests. Last time I read this it had very few views, I had no clue it went so high. I will being working on reviewing mods ASAP!

June 25, 2013, 06:21:58 PM #12 Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 04:39:34 PM by Josh
Yes, I have finally gotten back to it.  I would have done this a couple hours ago, but my computer and my internet where having an argument.

"No, I refuse to have you connect"-Computer
"Dude, shut up, he needs me"-Internet
"Heck no"-Computer
"DUDE!"-Internet
I did side with the internet though. So I punished my computer with a restart. He hates them.

The next maps I will rate:

1. A request somebody may have
2. One in the Chamber
3. Geonosis: Catacombs
4. To be scheduled at a later time.

All of those have been completed, guess I have to do one of the maps I have been dreading to review...

Sorry for there being no updates for a while, I was planning to do it a couple days ago but my parents decided to take a trip to Iowa to see my grandma. I can't do any more updates till at LEAST August, I have a lot to do this month. I plan to get back to it asap.