Modding using paint.net?

Started by Jamman, July 23, 2010, 12:00:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hey, I was told that a modder can make character skins (like changing the color of a rebel), using Paint.Net. I was wondering if there was a tutorial on this, I looked around but couldn't find it.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

long story short: download the modding tools and get bfbuilderpro,  make a new project, import retail side (whatever side you want to skin/edit) go to C:/BFBuilder/Data(modID)/Sides/ and whatever side you imported should be there. Go to the MSH folder where all the textures and models can be found. Textures are .tga files and models are .msh files. You can change skins by opening the .tga files with paint.net and editing to your liking then save with RLE COMPRESSION OFF. Click munge and then go to C:\BFBuilder\AddOn\NAMEOFYOURMOD\Data\_lvl_pc\Side and copy and paste the into your SWBF side folder and you're good to go. Xfire me for more detailed instructions Jamman :cheers:.

Totorial for using paint programs can be found in youtube and talking to friends. There are so many variables that what ever you do to a skin it has to be a direction you like. What brought me to this point took time, trials and errors.

Hey Fang, I was following your instructions, and I got really far on it, but then when i go to save the new color design, it tells me this.

http://img293.imageshack.us/f/29917478.png/

I don't understand what it's telling me to do, any idea?

I think you can go to the assets folder and select right click properties and then uncheck Attributes Read-only. This will prevent it from happening again, but for the problem you are having now do this. Select the folder your mod is under and do the same uncheck Pttributes Read-only procedures to set all contents within the folder to be not read only.