[unsolved]Selkath GLM Assets Conversion Request

Started by Phobos, July 01, 2012, 09:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
July 01, 2012, 09:13:18 PM Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 03:20:01 AM by tirpider
After much searching I have found Selkath GLM model. Someone with XSI knowledge would need to convert this to MSH for it to work in SWBF. I know Bamdur used to be able to port aliens but he is inactive now. If anyone else thinks they can do this here is the download
http://www.speedyshare.com/pvK9c/SelkathGLMAssets.7z

Someone with XSI talent please bring the selkath alien model to swbf they are so amazing
[spoiler][/spoiler]

edit by tirpider: tagged title

SWEET! Someone please convert this!  :o
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

August 29, 2013, 03:55:58 AM #2 Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 04:06:50 AM by Phobos
Here is a copy of the GLM assets attached below

Quote from: readmeJKB Selkath
MODELS : AshuraDX(AshurathehedgehogDX)
TEXTURES : AshuraDX(AshurathehedgehogDX)
SOUNDS : KillerTruffle
E-MAIL : ashuradx@yahoo.de
VERSION: 1.0
Description :
Prepare for a fishpeople invasion !
it's finally finished , my Selkath model
This model was made for the Jedi betrayal mod and is released as
a preview for the quality we're aiming for with all our new models

This Selkath pack includes :
-4 different Selkath variations
-npc support for all four variations , they behave like rebels
-team skins
-a new hilt model
-new sounds , made by KillerTruffle

Spawnnames are :
Selkath
Selkath_red
Selkath_blue
Selkath_white

dont forget to check out the JKB site to stay updated :
http://jedibetrayal.com/

BETA-TESTING : the JKB team

BUGS :

INSTALL : put  the Pk3 in your base folder
UNINSTAL : remove the Pk3 from your base folder

THIS PRODUCT IS NOT MADE, DISTRIBUTED, OR SUPPORTED BY ACTIVISION, RAVEN,
LUCASARTS ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY LLC.
© LUCASARTS ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY LLC. AND/OR ITS LICENSORS.

What the heck is a .skin file?..
A *.Skin file contains texture references (kind of like a material file (mtl for OBJ)) and apparently can over-ride the texture of one model to fit another tga.
But it's pretty useless for what we need. (We could just have an override texture compatible MSH, and several ODFs).

I have no idea how to edit the *.GLM model.. I know it's a model, thats about it..

MilkShape 3d can import glm files.
Noesis can as well.

Both programs should be able to export to FBX, and XSI can import those. I've had trouble with the materials going either way, so you may have to just create the materials by hand. The skin files can be used as a guide to help identify what parts of the body get what texture.

To get a JK unit into SWBF, the model needs to be scaled down and have a SWBF skeleton weighted to it.
Importing another unit can help with the scaling and provide the skeleton. Just delete the reference model after the sizing the JK unit down.

I've been playing with some other JK units, but haven't got the hang of weighting yet. (In fact.. I'm rotten at it. the elbows and knees always end up like crushed cans.)

Quote from: -RepublicCommando- on August 29, 2013, 11:04:54 AM
What the heck is a .skin file?..
A *.Skin file contains texture references (kind of like a material file (mtl for OBJ)) and apparently can over-ride the texture of one model to fit another tga.
But it's pretty useless for what we need. (We could just have an override texture compatible MSH, and several ODFs).

I have no idea how to edit the *.GLM model.. I know it's a model, thats about it..
i dont know but i remember bamdur would first port the GLM to OBJ using milkshape 3d before he ported it to MSH with xsi.

August 29, 2013, 12:11:42 PM #6 Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 12:13:44 PM by -RepublicCommando-
I'd prefer not to go through OBJ, but I guess it doesn't matter.

Are there tutorials on weighting anywhere? The ones I've seen don't really explain it.
I'm going to be experimenting with my Clone Commando to practice weighting stuff, but I learn pretty fast.. So after a few goes, I'll see if I can get this rigged and ready to go.

I will need a format that XSI can handle of the model, though. It's about time I started learning how to make completely new person models.

-The materials won't be a problem as long as UV doesn't get screwy, I can't import materials from OBJ and usually end up doing it by hand.

There are the excellent tuts posted on GT:
XSI Specific Tutorials and Info
And the best series I've ever seen for XSI:
VAST - XSI Learning Movies on YouTube

(both are GT links. Hope no one minds.)

I can try it. I already converted it to obj format so right now I am installing XSI. I've seen this model before(I've been playing around with it in JKA) and I agree that it looks good.  :)

August 31, 2013, 12:35:51 PM #9 Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 05:14:41 PM by -RepublicCommando-
And, this is your first go in XSI softimage, right?
Because it takes quite a bit of learning before you can do anything..

I'm getting the hang of enveloping now, still a little shakey on how it works. So many buttons, so little patience :P

I've used XSI before on my other computer but now I get an error.  ???

Maybe I'll do it on my other computer...

Yes, old topic.

If I can get a hold of an OBJ of this model (MS3D isn't registered, and quite frankly, I don't have time to get yet another program :P)
of this, I will make an attempt at converting it. From my experience with the clone commandos, which had a ridiculous amount of work involved because of all the polygons, this shouldn't be any harder (or for that matter, easier?)

Anywho, if someone can get me OBJ or a model format I can import with XSI7.5, I'll do it.