Islands Map: A Good Idea?

Started by Ascertes, November 21, 2015, 06:38:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
So for my latest project I was thinking about doing a Kashyyyk map that would essentially be a chain of islands all surrounded by an ocean that could not be crossed by foot or jetpack, making air and tank travel the only methods of transportation from island to island.

While I thought this would be a neat idea, it crossed my mind that the AI might not behave correctly, and possibly just stand around on whatever island they spawned at if they couldn't get to a vehicle. I did a little test with this and I was right, they like to stand around and do nothing if no vehicles appear nearby.

So I was wondering if there was a way to avoid this? It's no fun if the AI aren't participating too much.
"Birth, pain, fear, death; the cycle of existence." -Dread Master Calphayus.

SWBF1 Maps: Tatooine: Mos Anek, Kashyyyk: Village, Naboo: Province, Tatooine: Gulch.

SWBF2 Maps: Space Carida.

I suppose you could spawn vehicles for them.

Or the big turrets like on Platforms so they can be defensive.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Quote from: Led on November 21, 2015, 06:40:52 PM
I suppose you could spawn vehicles for them.

Or the big turrets like on Platforms so they can be defensive.

Even with vehicles though...If the vehicles spawn too far away they won't bother to go and get into them. I also tried adding those turrets, but like with the vehicles if they're too far away they won't make the effort to use them. I suppose if I have enough islands and enough vehicles the AI will be spread pretty thin and there won't be too many left over to stand around. Food for thought I guess.

SWBF1 Maps: Tatooine: Mos Anek, Kashyyyk: Village, Naboo: Province, Tatooine: Gulch.

November 21, 2015, 07:40:01 PM #3 Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 12:08:05 PM by -RepubliqueCmdr-
Vehicles too far away? Hint nodes.
Just slap down some patrol hint nodes that aim directly at vehicle spawns. That should do the trick.

Quote from: -RepubliqueCmdr- on November 21, 2015, 07:40:01 PM
Vehicles to far away? Hint nodes.
Just slap down some patrol hint nodes that aim directly at vehicle spawns. That should do the trick.

Oh I didn't even think of that! Thanks for the tip :D

You can try to add this to the mission LUA
SetAIVehicleNotifyRadius(500)

Quote from: Phobos on November 22, 2015, 11:54:46 AM

Awesome! Out of curiosity, how big of a radius is that exactly?

Quote from: Ascertes on November 22, 2015, 09:24:43 PM
Awesome! Out of curiosity, how big of a radius is that exactly?

It is probably in game meters, but best to test and see.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

I tried doing that with a Utapau map and it half way worked but most of the time there were just vehicles and troops sitting around doing nothing. I had to create land paths for it to work at all.
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

Quote from: Snake on November 23, 2015, 10:33:53 AM
I tried doing that with a Utapau map and it half way worked but most of the time there were just vehicles and troops sitting around doing nothing. I had to create land paths for it to work at all.
The default value is 64, maybe try that first, the game could be ignoring numbers that are too high. I'm not sure how measure the radius in game, I suspect it's the same as used for ODF such as push radius.

there's actually a map like that already for BF2
If you are good at something, never do it for attention.

Quote from: Isaac1138 on November 26, 2015, 12:38:41 PM
there's actually a map like that already for BF2

Well that's disappointing. This would be for battlefront 1 but what's the name? May download just to make sure I don't do some kind of copy.

Quote from: Ascertes on November 28, 2015, 12:18:40 AM
Well that's disappointing. This would be for battlefront 1 but what's the name? May download just to make sure I don't do some kind of copy.

Tropica islands                           https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yqggwdkb29y1thz/7BurOSJ4zw
If you are good at something, never do it for attention.

Quote from: Phobos on November 22, 2015, 11:54:46 AM

This seems to have done the trick, but if there are excess AI around they will stand without doing anything. They also don't want to use the turrets even with the adjustment. So we're making progress!

Quote from: Isaac1138 on December 06, 2015, 08:44:53 AM
Tropica islands                           https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yqggwdkb29y1thz/7BurOSJ4zw

I found a video of this map and I am glad to say my plan is to do something very different in terms of gameplay. Thanks for bringing this to my attention though, I'd hate doing something that's already been done before...